Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #841
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I watched Aquaman the other day. We both thought that it was actually pretty decent. The humor worked, Amber Heard stole pretty much all her scenes, and it was brightly colored and the visuals really worked. It's a pretty basic 'superhero origin story', and really should have come before Justice League, but as we were leaving, we both noted that it's a movie that we'd watch again.

For DC, that's quite an accomplishment, as far as we consider it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #842
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Ongoing Sci-Fi, Comic Book Movie Thread v2

2019 is going to be a busy year. Seems to be something in each month I want to see.

Except November...

Though Kingsman 3 is supposed to come out that month.

Last edited by KTrain; 01-06-2019 at 09:51 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #843
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, Disney. You don't have to do every live-action remake at the same time.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #844
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the colossal crapfest that was Kingsmen 2, Kingsmen 3 is a 'wait to rent' unless something amazing happens.

Dumbo?

For me the jewels on that list are John Wick 3 and Avengers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 PM   #845
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
How is this possible? I just don't get it. It's DC, shouldn't everyone be crapping all over it by now? That's the cool thing to do these days.
Not in some countries of the world, apparently. Don't worry, they'll eventually catch on.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #846
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Holy crap, Disney. You don't have to do every live-action remake at the same time.
Disney is the effing worst. It's the house of no ideas.

Toy Story 4.... pathetic. I'm surprised that isn't live action.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 AM   #847
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Disney is the effing worst. It's the house of no ideas.

Toy Story 4.... pathetic. I'm surprised that isn't live action.
You bite your tongue, sir.

There's a lot wrong with Disney, anything Toy Story related is not one of them.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:07 AM   #848
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Literally three live action remakes and one every other month. How could they think the market would support that? Disney is keeping the budgets under wraps but the Lion King's budget is supposedly huge.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:03 AM   #849
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Literally three live action remakes and one every other month. How could they think the market would support that? Disney is keeping the budgets under wraps but the Lion King's budget is supposedly huge.
Yeah t is weird planning. Aladdin in particular is in kind of a death spot, same place Solo was in last year sandwiches in between huge summer releases.

The Lion King will be fine though. 1. It’s The Lion King. 2. It’s coming out against basically no competition in July. It could own the box office for 2 months — I don’t think it will have any trouble cracking $500mil domestic.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #850
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
After the colossal crapfest that was Kingsmen 2, Kingsmen 3 is a 'wait to rent' unless something amazing happens.
While a drop-off from the first, I still enjoyed Kingsman 2. It was just ridiculous fun action.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #851
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you picking a movie that isn’t the infinity war to make a billion dollars Lion King is the movie. The kids who went to the original lion king now have kids. It’s the number 2 movie next year.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #852
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will watch every one of those movies..

As much as Disney has no imagination lately, I love most of these live actions. I'm skeptical of Aladdin though. Will Smith looks like Sinbad in that...
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #853
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does seem like a weird year for Disney that is overcrowded.

Captain Marvel
Dumbo
Avengers End Game
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
The Lion King
Artemis Fowl
Frozen 2
Star Wars: Episode 9

Not a lot of space between big releases. Setting up some of these movies to fail IMO.

Although at the same time if the gamble of loading up 2019 pays off, it could set them up for around $10B total box office revenue for 2019 too. Need to help pay for the Fox purchase and those theme park expansions!
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #854
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As great as a year Disney had in 2018 they also had 3 major bombs which lost them well over $100 million each in Nutcracker, Solo and Wrinkle in Time. But ya they were by far the highest grossing studio in 2018 and will be again in 2019.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #855
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
As great as a year Disney had in 2018 they also had 3 major bombs which lost them well over $100 million each in Nutcracker, Solo and Wrinkle in Time. But ya they were by far the highest grossing studio in 2018 and will be again in 2019.
And it's probably similar in 2019.

I feel like Artemis Fowl will flop, and Dumbo and Aladdin are probably 50/50 to succeed or flop.

Avengers, Lion King, Toy Story 4, and Frozen 2 are all sure fire hits that will be easily over $1B with Avengers around $2B again. Captain Marvel should be carried to $1B WW just due to the hype around Avengers.

The most interesting one to me will be Star Wars. It won't reach the $2B that The Force Awakens did but you have to think it can still get to $1B. That fan base is toxic, and they were able to stay away from Solo, but I doubt they can stay away from a mainline entry.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-07-2019 at 10:03 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #856
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I feel like Artemis Fowl will flop, and Dumbo and Aladdin are probably 50/50 to succeed or flop.

Avengers, Lion King, Toy Story 4, and Frozen 2 are all sure fire hits that will be easily over $1B with Avengers around $2B again. Captain Marvel should be carried to $1B WW just due to the hype around Avengers.

The most interesting one to me will be Star Wars. It won't reach the $2B that The Force Awakens did but you have to think it can still get to $1B.
Its a crazy time, for the first time there is a little bit of doubt in regards to Star Wars. I still think it does a billion but it will probably preform more like Rogue One and not Force Awakens. I don't know where the franchise is going at this point. Does it move on to Disney+ or will they go ahead with Episode 10? I could see another 10+ years before we see Episode 10 to be honest.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #857
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Its a crazy time, for the first time there is a little bit of doubt in regards to Star Wars. I still think it does a billion but it will probably preform more like Rogue One and not Force Awakens. I don't know where the franchise is going at this point. Does it move on to Disney+ or will they go ahead with Episode 10? I could see another 10+ years before we see Episode 10 to be honest.
Star Wars' relative success will likely depend on initial reviews and word of mouth. As much as some people hated TLJ, most people will go to see this, me included. I may not go opening night this time though.

Disney will not wait 10+ years for another movie. The franchise remains too profitable for that, and they've paid a lot of money to get it. They'll come out with some kind of new trilogy, although it may not be called "Episode 10". Episodes 1-9 dealt with the Skywalkers. That seems to be done now.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #858
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

The most interesting one to me will be Star Wars. It won't reach the $2B that The Force Awakens did but you have to think it can still get to $1B. That fan base is toxic, and they were able to stay away from Solo, but I doubt they can stay away from a mainline entry.
Penciling in Captain Marvel for 1 billion, may be premature. It may just do Antman type money. Although it seems like the norm now, it's actually unusual for solo superhero flicks to make $1 billion.

Spiderman: Homecoming only did $880 million.

I'd put the high mark for Captain Marvel around $800 million, with the more likely box office in the $700 million range.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #859
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Star Wars' relative success will likely depend on initial reviews and word of mouth. As much as some people hated TLJ, most people will go to see this, me included. I may not go opening night this time though.

Disney will not wait 10+ years for another movie. The franchise remains too profitable for that, and they've paid a lot of money to get it. They'll come out with some kind of new trilogy, although it may not be called "Episode 10". Episodes 1-9 dealt with the Skywalkers. That seems to be done now.
I can see in 20 years we will look back at this trilogy as being actually really good. Much like the prequels which at the time people hated, are now seen as being actually not that bad. I know I will get some flack for this, but I actually really like Revenge of the Sith, think it's great.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #860
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Star Wars will follow the pattern of the previous 2 trilogies. I did the math somewhere in this thread but the gist is that in each previous trilogy the second movie made the least with a jump for the third. So more than the last Jedi and less that TFA would be the range that I would predict.

Given how bad Attack of the Clones was I don’t think that the “damage” that TLJ and Solo did to the brand will affect the previous pattern.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote