Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #701
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
$67.4 million weekend in North America for Aquaman: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

More than triple what Mary Poppins and Bumblebee made.

However, it is, by a wide margin, the lowest domestic opening weekend of any of the DCEU films. Justice League had an almost $94 million opening weekend and all the rest were over $100 million.

Right now, over 85% of its gross has come from overseas, which is ridiculously high. A big part of that is because it opened two weeks ago in China, so it will be interesting to see what that mix is when its run is over.
The weekend before Christmas always had very low box office, with the weak of Christmas and New Year's being very high. You can't compare openings this weekend too regular openings.

We'll have to wait until January 2nd to see how Aquaman is actually doing.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #702
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
That's interesting, most of the reviews I've read have said the opposite, hated the beginning but loved the end.

With a huge weekend it's now made $480M world wide and should reach $500 today and $700 by New Year's day. Will it top BvS and be the highest grossing film of the DCEU?? Safe to say we should be hearing about a sequel soon.
It will be tough to get to BvS. With 67m opening even with a 4x multiplier (which is huge even with the Christmas bump) would get it to 270. That leaves it needing to make up 60 million on the world wide side. And with its 200 million in China it’s on its way. However it would still need 69% of its revenue from world wide which is a stretch in the super hero genre with 60-65 being typical and a 67% from Infinity war.

So it needs to have genre best Christmas Legs and Genre best international to get to BVS. Not sure it gets there but it’s already making profit so that should bet it a sequel and keep the DC movie department open.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #703
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christmas box office is certainly different. Jumanji made over $400M after an opening of $40M. I think iAquaman can do about $900. Should make at least $500M between China and North America combined. JL made about $325 from Foreign minus China so if it makes similar that's $825 but I think Aquaman will do better it's a much better film.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #704
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah a $67 million three-day and $100-ish 5-day for Aquaman would be very good for it. I mean, we need to remember that it's Aquaman. I think it wall fall off pretty heavily though.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #705
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Just got back from Aquaman.

This is definitely a movie that needs to be seen in the theatre. The visuals and effects are amazing. The use of 3d is great. Good 3d should be used to build environments, and that's what it does.

The story and script were very straight forward. The movie had a lot of cheesy moments. That was probably the right tone choice though. We're talking about Aquaman, who is the butt of a lot jokes. It would have been very difficult to go with a serious tone, without inadvertently being cheesy. They even pulled off the cheesy costume. It actually reminded me a lot of the original 80s Clash of the Titans movie at a lot of points.

Some of the choreography was amazing. The first battle with Nicole Kidman is how a fight scene should be.

This movie felt the most like a comic of all the mainstream superhero movies. The pacing and battles were very comic like. So was the way they went from kingdom to kingdom and introduced new races of Atlanteans. I really like the world building.

They maybe could have cut the movie a little bit shorter. It dragged a little, but it wasn't anything intense. Plus, the payoff at the end is totally worth it. I can definitely see why some people would find this movie just dumb, but it is very entertaining nonetheless.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #706
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #707
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Its kinda funny. If Man of Steel was made 3 or 4 years ago, and BvS and Justice League never saw the light of day, DC would be well on their way to creating a decent cinematic universe.

But now things are so muddied with actor exits, continuity issues to go along with a couple of franchises to build around (WW and Aquaman).

I wouldn't be surprised that if they truly wanted a meshable cinematic universe, they might go back to Flashpoint, or do their own version of Crisis on Infinite earths to re-jig the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #708
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

*Actor exits which are all rumoured, none of which have been confirmed and some of which have even been denied by the actor themselves or co-stars (Mamoa saying Cavil is definitely still Superman).
Old 12-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #709
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Its kinda funny. If Man of Steel was made 3 or 4 years ago, and BvS and Justice League never saw the light of day, DC would be well on their way to creating a decent cinematic universe.

But now things are so muddied with actor exits, continuity issues to go along with a couple of franchises to build around (WW and Aquaman).

I wouldn't be surprised that if they truly wanted a meshable cinematic universe, they might go back to Flashpoint, or do their own version of Crisis on Infinite earths to re-jig the whole thing.

The thing is, do people care enough to invest in something that would be ultimately very confusing, or can they just move along, count BVS and JL as duds, and continue with current continuity? It's taken Marvel 10 years and 20 movies to get to a point to even hint at different universes clashing. And even then its bold.

I dunno, they've (predictably) put themselves in a tight spot by blowing their load on some of their most iconic conflicts so soon and have failed to build the eagerness from high-end talent to be involved that Marvel has. Its good to see Aquaman doing well. As a long time comic, film and Batman fan, I still have very little interest in what the DCU is doing. I can't imagine the causal moviegoer showing up to a Justice League movie with parallel universes, a total time reset, characters with multiple variations, and be somewhat invested in what's happening.

Last edited by Coach; 12-24-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #710
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

True. I think its an attempt to read between the lines.

Actor exit, is the short version. The long version is likely: Stepping aside and pursuing other work while you sort your crap out and if you get it together and Im not working, lets talk.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cavill comes back. I would be very surprised if Affleck came back.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #711
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
The thing is, do people care enough to invest in something that would be ultimately very confusing, or can they just move along, count BVS and JL as duds, and continue with current continuity? It's taken Marvel 10 years and 20 movies to get to a point to even hint at different universes clashing. And even then its bold.

I dunno, they've (predictably) put themselves in a tight spot by blowing their load on some of their most iconic conflicts so soon and have failed to build the eagerness from high-end talent to be involved that Marvel has. Its good to see Aquaman doing well. As a long time comic, film and Batman fan, I still have very little interest in what the DCU is doing. I can't imagine the causal moviegoer showing up to a Justice League movie with parallel universes, a total time reset, characters with multiple variations, and be somewhat invested in what's happening.
Good point, its probably less confusing to just try and pretend that a couple movies don't exist, than it is to attempt a Crisis or Flashpoint story.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #712
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As an aside I find it interesting how Man of Steel has aged so well in public perception. I was quite disappointed with it, based on my own expectations. Now people look back on it quite favourably.

Good or bad I think it was a decent start to the DCEU.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #713
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never really minded Man of Steel, but I'm not invested in Superman as a character the way many are. It was a different look at Superman, and while people railed against the destruction and the gloomy end to Zod, I think it was important to remember that Superman wasn't a warrior or anything. He was a farmboy with superpowers trying to stop a being bred to be the leader of an army and his super capable henchmen.

And the world-engine was a relatively unique threat vs an invading army.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #714
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went and saw Aquaman with the kids today. Had to explain the difference between marcel and DC.

DC really pulled this off and leaned in to the ridiculousness that is aquaman and the worst superpower. It was fun escapism and that’s what comic book movies should be. I can’t wait for Shazam.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:16 PM   #715
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
As an aside I find it interesting how Man of Steel has aged so well in public perception. I was quite disappointed with it, based on my own expectations. Now people look back on it quite favourably.

Good or bad I think it was a decent start to the DCEU.

Man of Steel has not aged well. It’s every bit as terrible. I don’t think public perception has changed much.

Aquaman was good for a DC movie but would be about the 12th best Marvel movie. Like all DC movies it’s a hot mess. I’m actually quite surprised people like it. It’s as if DC has beat us into submission. They make so many horrible movies that eventually when they make a slightly less horrible movie we’re too tired to keep hating on DC and give them props for not completely ####ting the bed. It’s kinda sad really. This is what our expectations have been reduced to.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:44 PM   #716
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

My 10 year-old loved Aquaman, but on the other hand called it his 2nd favourite superhero movie after Justice League so his judgment is somewhat questionable (at least he cheers for the right hockey team). I thought it was a fun popcorn movie, nothing exceptional but not anywhere near the mess BvS or Justice League were.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:30 AM   #717
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Infinity War is on Netflix right now.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #718
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Man of Steel has not aged well. It’s every bit as terrible. I don’t think public perception has changed much.

Aquaman was good for a DC movie but would be about the 12th best Marvel movie. Like all DC movies it’s a hot mess. I’m actually quite surprised people like it. It’s as if DC has beat us into submission. They make so many horrible movies that eventually when they make a slightly less horrible movie we’re too tired to keep hating on DC and give them props for not completely ####ting the bed. It’s kinda sad really. This is what our expectations have been reduced to.
A lot of people I talk to really like Man of Steel. WatchMojo even had a top 10 rotten movies that shouldn't be rotten and it was on there, so I think the perception is it's changing. To me it's my favorite Superman film and I know a lot of people that say the same thing. Of course non were alive when the Reeves films came out but I have seen them multiple times and I still Stan Man of Steel.

I respectfully disagree, I think it's the opposite effect for DC films. The MCU is such a juggernaut of a film franchise that DC needs to make really good movies because when they make movies they are being judged harsher. I mean Ant-Man and the Wasp has about a 88% on rotten tomatoes but for me it was just okay nothing special. 88% is higher than 2/3 of Nolan's Batman Triology and I personally don't think it's better than any of them. The same amount of critics liked MOS as Amazing Spider Man 2 and again I think that's cray.

Anyways Merry Christmas to all and hopefully 2019 is an even better year for superhero movies, Cap Marvel, Shazam, Joker, End Game, Spider-Man Dark Phoenix it's going to be epic!!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #719
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Went and saw Aquaman with the kids today. Had to explain the difference between marcel and DC.

DC really pulled this off and leaned in to the ridiculousness that is aquaman and the worst superpower. It was fun escapism and that’s what comic book movies should be. I can’t wait for Shazam.
Really? I think Aquaman was one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. It was terrible I thought.

Shazam looks like it is a good idea that will be terribly pulled off by Hollywood imo.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #720
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Enjoyed the hell out of Aquaman.

If you like fun, adventure, and action flicks, it's for you. The movie is flawed, but compared to DC's recent theatrical attempts, it soared high above the bar.

It looked fantastic, Momoa was a fabulous Aquaman (i really cant think of a betetr fit), the story, well, it kept me engaged... But most of all, it was just plain old fun.

And Aquaman's armour was rad_ass.

Ranking 'em:

1.) Aquaman
2.) WOnder Woman
3.) Man of Steel
4.) Justice League, i guess
5.) Suicide squad
6.) BvS
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post: