Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #10021
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
What do people think Jimmy Howard would cost? I'd be interested in him.
Apparently they want a 1st. I wouldn't be interested for anything more then a 3rd. They couldn't give him away a couple seasons ago.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #10022
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Here is an ideal goalie fix imo.

To philly: Talbot, 5th
To Oilers: Elliott

Oilers get out of the cap problem so they can activate Sekera and get a goalie Hitch knows from his Blues days. Philly squeezes the extra pick because the Oilers are over a barrel

To CGY: Talbot
To Philly: Smith 3rd

Calgary shores up their goaltending and Philly turns Elliott into a 3rd and 5th
I posted something along this thinking earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Oilers trade Talbot to Flyers

Flyers trade Talbot to Flames for Smith and 2020 2nd.

Talbot wins Conn Smythe for Flames.

E=NG
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #10023
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
What do people think Jimmy Howard would cost? I'd be interested in him.
The rumor is that a 1st round pick starts the discussion. It's possible that we'd have to add if the pick is going to be hovering 25-30.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #10024
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
If the Flames are legitimately looking at Quick, their faith in the existing tandem must be close to non-existent.

That's not a contract/player you acquire if you have any belief in the goalies in your system to do anything in the next 3 years.
The Flames can't even afford his contract for next season. It would put this team in an even bigger cap crunch then they'll already be in. Unless James Neal goes the other way, the math just doesn't work.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #10025
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Here is an ideal goalie fix imo.

To philly: Talbot, 5th
To Oilers: Elliott

Oilers get out of the cap problem so they can activate Sekera and get a goalie Hitch knows from his Blues days. Philly squeezes the extra pick because the Oilers are over a barrel

To CGY: Talbot
To Philly: Smith 3rd

Calgary shores up their goaltending and Philly turns Elliott into a 3rd and 5th

Sportsnet says that Philly wants to keep Talbot as him and Hart are buddies and they think he'd be a good mentor/caddy.

I think the Flames would be more likely to get Neuvirth from Philly. If they trade for Talbot him and Hart will be their tandem. Stolarz, Neuvirth and Lyon will be available I bet for the right price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #10026
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
Apparently they want a 1st. I wouldn't be interested for anything more then a 3rd. They couldn't give him away a couple seasons ago.
That is because he was coming off a terrible year with a couple years left of term.

I'd give up a conditional 3rd + Mike Smith,

1st condition: If Howard starts X number of games in the playoffs and the Flames make it to the Western Conference Semi-Final it turns into a 2020 second.

2nd Condition: If Howards starts X number of games and the Flames make it to the Stanley Cup Final the pick is our 2019 first.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #10027
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nilsson would be my target for a goalie. He has put up good numbers on an awful Senators team and the cost shouldn't be too high.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #10028
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Sportsnet says that Philly wants to keep Talbot as him and Hart are buddies and they think he'd be a good mentor/caddy.
We always hear this one trades but how often does it really happen? Hamonic was supposed to get us Tavares according to some, or Gaudreau and Hayes, or Iginla and Doan.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #10029
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Toffoli isn’t even that good. 27 points in 56 games for a top 6 guy isn’t very good, no matter where you’re playing. Combine that with a declining Quick who has lots of term remaining on his deal, and you’re overpaying. I don’t want to give 1sts, good prospects and decent roster players just to get these guys
He is having a down year. Most of the team is having a down year. Toffoli is a top 6 player. He has been good for around 45 points on a team that didn't play an offensive style. He would produce more on a team that properly plays an offensive style game.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #10030
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
The rumor is that a 1st round pick starts the discussion. It's possible that we'd have to add if the pick is going to be hovering 25-30.
way too expensive for a UFA 35 year old goalie. The ask will come down, but you'll have to wait until the deadline to pull the trigger.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #10031
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Nilsson would be my target for a goalie. He has put up good numbers on an awful Senators team and the cost shouldn't be too high.
Good throw in for the Stone trade
Old 02-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #10032
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love the idea of landing Stone, but the cost is going to be ridiculous for a rental. I bet it would take Janko/Bennett, Kylington a 1st and a 2nd. That is bananas for a rental.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #10033
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
I love the idea of landing Stone, but the cost is going to be ridiculous for a rental. I bet it would take Janko/Bennett, Kylington a 1st and a 2nd. That is bananas for a rental.
There is no way Treliving doesn’t have a plan to sign Stone if he makes the trade.

He won’t be a rental to the Flames. Stop saying this (everybody). To say this is like you aren’t even following the team or the direction they’re going.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #10034
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everyone seems to assume he's being re-signed but I don't know why. Why wouldn't he explore the market? The Flames could give him 8 years instead of 7 but would they even want to go to age 36?
Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #10035
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
There is no way Treliving doesn’t have a plan to sign Stone if he makes the trade.

He won’t be a rental to the Flames. Stop saying this (everybody). To say this is like you aren’t even following the team or the direction they’re going.
Of course he will be a rental. Why would he give up his off-season bargaining leverage without testing the market?
Old 02-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #10036
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Everyone seems to assume he's being re-signed but I don't know why. Why wouldn't he explore the market? The Flames could give him 8 years instead of 7 but would they even want to go to age 36?
Treliving won't trade for him unless he's re-signing. Lebrun is saying if Calgary acquires him, it won't be as a rental.

So...as far as rumours go, we go with what we hear.

If the Flames acquire Stone, it won't be as a rental.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #10037
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Treliving won't trade for him unless he's re-signing. Lebrun is saying if Calgary acquires him, it won't be as a rental.

If that is true, then you are almost certainly going to overpay. His agent should be fired if he lets him sign without testing the market. The Flames would also have to move out significant pieces to sign Stone and Tkachuk for what will almost certainly be long term deals at a cumulative aav >17mm
Old 02-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #10038
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Of course he will be a rental. Why would he give up his off-season bargaining leverage without testing the market?
Then the Flames aren’t in the market for him.

The only thing to debate here is the direction they would go to make room. They aren’t trading the pieces that would be required to get Stone without signing him.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #10039
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Well, that's good, but way more difficult to actually do. Is Ottawa even giving teams permission to talk to Stone about extensions? Last I heard they still weren't sure about not doing it themselves, and they wouldn't give him the chance to have other teams negotiating against their offer.

The best way, I suppose, would be to have conditions around the trade, like with Kane.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #10040
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Exactly my thoughts. This organization has targeted all the big names in the last half decade. The Hillers, the Elliotts, the Smiths and now the Howards and the Quicks. These big names have not worked out for us. How about we target some of the lesser known guys now especially since the cost of acquisition would be lower.

I mean, the most successful goaltenders the Flames have had recently were no name guys like Ramo, Chad Johnson to a lesser extent and now Rittich.
Closed Thread