Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #841
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's gotta be demoralizing as a pilot.

Hey Jim, did you hear, we're finally getting more fighters instead of only having our crappy old F-18's

Oh Finally, what are we getting?

Crappy old F-18's

...screw it, I'm calling westjet
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #842
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its going to get to the point where we have more fighters then pilots, and we're going to hav a very inexperienced air force.

All of those veteran pilots that are cashing in and going to go fly airliners, that's invaluable knowledge and training leaving.

And I don't blame them.

Hey its the Conservatives fault too, but frankly the liberals have a horrible reputation when it comes to National Defense, but it come to a head, in that these kids that used to surge to the armed forces after high school, are taking different life options as well, because they don't want to die at the stick of a 40 year old fighter plane, or take the chance of going into a combat or peacekeeping mission with less then the barest essentials.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #843
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice work young fella, but you should have put your back into it and gonne a bit deeper.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...ld-war-soldier

Quote:
Dylan Ferris is not your average history buff.

After receiving “very vague” instructions on a personal project for class, the 10th grader decided to dig a trench so he could sleep like a First World War soldier.

The trench, about four feet deep and six feet long, is now ready and wide enough to clean a rifle inside.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #844
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

What exactly is this mission?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4117009/c...ter-terrorism/

Quote:
The six military helicopters that Canada plans to send to Mali could be used to move more than peacekeepers: they could be called upon to support a multinational counter-terrorism force also operating in the country.

The UN Security Council in December authorized the peacekeeping mission in Mali to provide assistance to the Group of Five (G5) Sahel, a military force comprised of troops from five African nations.

The G5 Sahel, whose members include Burkina Faso, Chad, Mauritania, Niger and Mali, has been tasked with fighting jihadists and transnational crime groups across a large swath of West Africa south of the Sahara desert.

The force was the brainchild of France, which has been conducting counter-terror operations in Mali and the region since 2012, and enjoys financial backing from France, the U.S., the European Union and others.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #845
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This is the reason why the term peacekeeping should be relegated to a dusty vault in history as a failed venture.

But anyone who thought these helicopters that are armed with miniguns would strictly be used to deliver water and candy to the needy is fooling themselves.

These helicopters are going to be dropped into hot combat zones while the armed helicopters fire suppressive fire through building windows.

They're going to be dropping off troops with nebulous orders who will go after terrorists (which I have no trouble with), but this isn't the mission the Liberals promoted.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canada's multi-helicopter force becomes the UN flying lesson as more then a few captives are tossed out the door.

But once again this is on our less then honest Defense Minister, did he define the mission? including the possibility of actually being transport for anti-terrorist forces? Or did he not know?

My greatest fear is that one of more of our helicopters is going to eat a man portable rocket.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #846
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Big image

Spoiler!
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byrns For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #847
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looks kind of impressive until you look at it and say

"What is this, a freaking museum?"

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #848
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

And they've found a couple extra Hawks, Harvards, and a bunch of extra Tutors.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #849
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It seems like everything has to be about feminism and virtue signaling with this government

https://globalnews.ca/news/4090261/c...ale-personnel/

Old 04-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #850
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It seems like everything has to be about feminism and virtue signaling with this government

https://globalnews.ca/news/4090261/c...ale-personnel/
Here's an idea pick the best soldier(s) available regardless of the genitalia between their legs.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #851
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss army parties.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ry-flight.html

Quote:
The head of Canada’s military has ordered a new independent investigation into the events around a troubled VIP flight last December that saw former Maple Leafs player Dave “Tiger” Williams charged with assault.

On that same trip, two passengers wet themselves and several complaints were made over inappropriate behaviour, sparking broader concerns about alcohol consumption and the ability of military flight attendants to police rowdy behaviour.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #852
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 years for a new rifle......

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/np-v...g-a-new-weapon

Quote:
Brand-new C19 rifles, almost 7,000 of them, are to equip the Canadian Rangers, a reserve force of part-time warriors drawn in large part from Canada’s Inuit and Indigenous communities in the far north. The Rangers, 5,000 strong, are Canada’s only real military presence in the region.

Since 1947, the Rangers have been issued Lee-Enfield rifles, specifically, the Lee-Enfield Mk. 4. The Mk. 4 dates back to the 1930s, and was the main battle rifle for Canadian units during the Second World War. The basic design of the rifle is even older, having first entered service with British units in 1895. This is not as bad as it sounds. The basic design of the Lee-Enfield rifle was superb, and it served Canadian soldiers well in two world wars. Further, its continued use in the far north made sense: the rifle remained reliable even in extreme cold and, after the Second World War, the Canadian military had many thousands of surplus Lee-Enfields.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #853
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As a former member,and I'm sure former members on this board will say that its completely embarrassing that the Canadian Government including Conservatives governments have failed so completely to keep the faith with people that are actually willing to go out and do a job that's fricken hard enough without being hamstrung by the government.

I was making a joke when the poster was put up about the Canadian Air Force and I basically remarked that it looked like a museum display, but in a lot of ways I'm dead serious about how utterly clueless the Government is about what the Military does on a day to day basis and what they need.

I also think that the current Defense Minister needs to be shuffled out of his position, beyond being caught in more then one lie, the guy is a weakling when it comes to fighting for what's right, and has no credibility left with the current military.

When the Liberals came out with their position paper, it sounded like a typical government document, basically we'll get something done some day, its now become an even bigger example of broken promises.

We're rapidly approaching the point of crisis with the Military where it will no longer be functional and no longer be savable without a massive re-investment.

At this point, we might as well take the defense budget and pay the American's to take over North American defense policy and staffing.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #854
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As a former member,and I'm sure former members on this board will say that its completely embarrassing that the Canadian Government including Conservatives governments have failed so completely to keep the faith with people that are actually willing to go out and do a job that's fricken hard enough without being hamstrung by the government.

I was making a joke when the poster was put up about the Canadian Air Force and I basically remarked that it looked like a museum display, but in a lot of ways I'm dead serious about how utterly clueless the Government is about what the Military does on a day to day basis and what they need.

I also think that the current Defense Minister needs to be shuffled out of his position, beyond being caught in more then one lie, the guy is a weakling when it comes to fighting for what's right, and has no credibility left with the current military.

When the Liberals came out with their position paper, it sounded like a typical government document, basically we'll get something done some day, its now become an even bigger example of broken promises.

We're rapidly approaching the point of crisis with the Military where it will no longer be functional and no longer be savable without a massive re-investment.

At this point, we might as well take the defense budget and pay the American's to take over North American defense policy and staffing.
CC I have said this before and I will say it again.

There is only one constant with the Canadian Military and that is the abuse/neglect it receives from all/any party in power.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #855
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

the Battle of Vimy Ridge began 101 years ago on April 9th, 1917.

This was the opening move of the Battle of Arras, which saw 4 Canadian Divisions under the command of a CanadianLt General Julian Byng. go up against 3 divisions of the dug in German Army.

Through the use of innovative tactics, planning and training the Canadians managed to take the Ridge in three days.

This was the first time the Canadian Corp was allowed to fight together as a unit, and the battle of Vimy was seen as a symbol of the countries achievement on its own and its sacrifice

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #856
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the Battle of Vimy Ridge began 101 years ago on April 9th, 1917.

This was the opening move of the Battle of Arras, which saw 4 Canadian Divisions under the command of a CanadianLt General Julian Byng. go up against 3 divisions of the dug in German Army.

Through the use of innovative tactics, planning and training the Canadians managed to take the Ridge in three days.

This was the first time the Canadian Corp was allowed to fight together as a unit, and the battle of Vimy was seen as a symbol of the countries achievement on its own and its sacrifice

A bit better map showing the battalions

Spoiler!

Quote:
Old 04-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #857
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Military police officer in Gander charged with cocaine trafficking

Quote:
The Canadian Forces national investigation service said Thursday it has charged Corporal Colten Egers-Wood with one count of possession and one count of trafficking under the National Defence Act.

Investigators say the charges relate to a seven-month period between September 2016 and March 2017.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...king-1.4616091
Old 04-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #858
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Leopard 2 AEVs are sweet. I ran heavy equipment for years, where do I sign up? I wanna take one of these for a spin

Old 04-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #859
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Update on the Canadian Fighter Jet Replacement.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...ce-cf-18-fleet

No surprise on the finalists

Quote:
  • France—Dassault Aviation (Thales DMS France SAS and Safran Aircraft Engines)
  • Sweden—SAAB AB (publ)—Aeronautics
  • United Kingdom and Northern Ireland—Airbus Defense and Space GmbH
  • United States—Lockheed Martin Corporation (Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company)
  • United States—The Boeing Company
So we're probably looking at

The Rafale
The Eurofighter
The Saab Gripen J-29
F-35
The Super Hornet.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #860
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The new Leopard 2 AEVs are sweet. I ran heavy equipment for years, where do I sign up? I wanna take one of these for a spin

What changed have been made from the previous badger?

Quote: