Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #1381
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I miss the old game threads on CP when one of the members (Shawnski, I think?) would post the animated police beacon every time the Flames scored. I think he even added audio of some kind at one point too?

He somehow had a knack of getting that thing up so fast. When following the thread while watching the game, so often the beacon would light up before the goal on TV so you'd knew they'd scored before seeing it. I suppose that still happens with posts now, just no flashing lights. Seems to me it was a thing maybe during the '04 run and then a year or two following, or maybe it was even before '04. Sometime way back then anyway.

Someone who's on game threads every game should try and bring that back!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #1382
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I miss the old game threads on CP when one of the members (Shawnski, I think?) would post the animated police beacon every time the Flames scored. I think he even added audio of some kind at one point too?

He somehow had a knack of getting that thing up so fast. When following the thread while watching the game, so often the beacon would light up before the goal on TV so you'd knew they'd scored before seeing it. I suppose that still happens with posts now, just no flashing lights. Seems to me it was a thing maybe during the '04 run and then a year or two following, or maybe it was even before '04. Sometime way back then anyway.

Yup that was Shawnski.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #1383
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Did anyone ever go to the Pied Pickle? what did it serve?
Alcohol, and lots of it. At least when I spent many a work related Friday afternoon there.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #1384
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I was a busboy at Chi Chi's in high school. We may have met each other much earlier than when we thought!

Also, St Huberts sauce was the best. I miss it.
I loved the 10 cent wings. When the Flames scored you could order either root beer schnapps or tequila shooters for a buck (no limit).

Last edited by gordo67; 01-13-2019 at 09:07 AM.
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #1385
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The game threads during the 2004 run were so awesome. You could feel the energy in those game threads.

Last edited by RogerWilco; 01-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #1386
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Wife says it was called The Corner Pocket...

Corner Pocket was on 1st street beside the Castle Pub, under the Tasmanian Ballroom. Diesel was in the office building over the Vicious Circle, same owner as the Castle/ Corner Pocket. I don't think Diesel was around long though...
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #1387
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh, yeah, I was in Chicago this fall and came across the Elephant's Castle. They actually moved the interiors from Calgary to this location! I was blown away to learn that.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 PM   #1388
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Corner Pocket was on 1st street beside the Castle Pub, under the Tasmanian Ballroom. Diesel was in the office building over the Vicious Circle, same owner as the Castle/ Corner Pocket. I don't think Diesel was around long though...
Somehow I don't remember Corner Pocket, but I worked at the Castle Pub/Night Galary/Drum.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:25 PM   #1389
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

the first bar i ever went to was the Uptown i believe it was called. on 1st street and 12th . it is now condos i believe and also at one point had a pool hall on the 2nd floor.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #1390
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:

Those 2000-2003 game threads were always enjoyable and sad at the same time
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #1391
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
the first bar i ever went to was the Uptown i believe it was called. on 1st street and 12th . it is now condos i believe and also at one point had a pool hall on the 2nd floor.
If we are talking bars, the Republik was amazing bar, as was Crazy Horse.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #1392
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Oh, yeah, I was in Chicago this fall and came across the Elephant's Castle. They actually moved the interiors from Calgary to this location! I was blown away to learn that.
The Elephant & Castle?

I work above their location in Vancouver. Their main office is still listed as being in Calgary.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #1393
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
If we are talking bars, the Republik was amazing bar, as was Crazy Horse.
Crazy Horse was a blast. They had a great 80s night (though my favorite 80s night was The Embassy)
Really under-rated bar.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #1394
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Somehow I don't remember Corner Pocket, but I worked at the Castle Pub/Night Galary/Drum.
There was a door in between as far as I can remember...it had pool tables on both floors. Actually a really great pool hall, but I spent most of my time playing Foosball at the Castle...
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #1395
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone remember that restaurant between 10th and 11th avenue by 18th street. back in the day, it was called Chomps and since has been many different names. looks like it is an empty space now. used to sit on the patio watching people get confused by the 1 way street. good entertainment.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #1396
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone remember that restaurant between 10th and 11th avenue by 18th street. back in the day, it was called Chomps and since has been many different names. looks like it is an empty space now. used to sit on the patio watching people get confused by the 1 way street. good entertainment.
Mike's Juke Joint?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #1397
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's closed now? Must be quite recent, last time I drove by a few months ago it was still open. Too bad, losing another neighborhood pub always sucks and there always seemed to be people there whenever I drove by.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #1398
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was out in the old neighborhood on the weekend, and it reminded me of Captain Cooks fish & chips at Memorial and 52nd. Ten year old me thought fish and chips wrapped in newspaper was the best "treat" dinner my parents could ever bring home.

Atlas Pizza sponsored my dad's old timers hockey team back then, lots of memories of that place. Amazed that it is still going to this day.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #1399
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I was out in the old neighborhood on the weekend, and it reminded me of Captain Cooks fish & chips at Memorial and 52nd. Ten year old me thought fish and chips wrapped in newspaper was the best "treat" dinner my parents could ever bring home.

Atlas Pizza sponsored my dad's old timers hockey team back then, lots of memories of that place. Amazed that it is still going to this day.
I grew up around there and Atlas sponsored my first Tyke hockey team. It is too bad the restaurant side isn't there anymore as I can't take my kids in the sports bar yet and it is too far away for take out. Few more years I guess. the odd time I manage to go there I usually run into an old neighbour or friend.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #1400
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socktape View Post
I grew up around there and Atlas sponsored my first Tyke hockey team. It is too bad the restaurant side isn't there anymore as I can't take my kids in the sports bar yet and it is too far away for take out. Few more years I guess. the odd time I manage to go there I usually run into an old neighbour or friend.
I had a front row seat to the fire that took out the bottle depot and whatever was on the western part of that strip mall (I can't even remember -- it was rebuilt as a Shoppers Drug Mart and is now a Dollarama). All I remember is Dairy Queen being rebuilt and my jaw hitting the floor (for some reason) when I learned it was turning into a drive thru.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time