Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Well in case you didn't notice Calgary doesn't have any beaches for Gio to ly around on, (it's actually pretty depressing here in the winter especially when you have 15 million in the bank) San Jose does.

I think for the most part the players enjoy this and want to go. Get to meet and hang around with all the stars in the league, in a less than seris "business" atmosphere . Attend all the events, fan related meet and greets, going out for dinner and drinks with all the guys etc. Guys like Ovechkin and Price hack both been many many times so I could see them declining. Kinda like your works Christmas party. They were fun to attend when you started with your company but after attending 7 years worth of work Xmas parties in a row, it kinda gets old and you'd rather just stay home and chillz wit da old lady!

I especially think it's beneficial for young players who go to the all star games as they get to skate and practise with most of the leagues best and get to pick up some tips and tricks of th game. The goalies will get a more intimate look at the snipers in the league and can pick up certain moves and shots of theirs in practise.
If only there was a way to get to some place with a beach within a few hours.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #42
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

so the Oilers have two players in the game and Calgary has one
Old 01-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #43
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well in case you didn't notice Calgary doesn't have any beaches for Gio to lay around on, (it's actually pretty depressing here in the winter especially when you have 15 million in the bank) San Jose does.
He's RICH. You don't think Giordano could afford a last minute flight to Cancun? No one is saying that Gio will be stretching out at Sikome Lake because he's not playing in the All Star Game.

Also, do you think players will have time to lay on the beach in San Jose if they are participating in the All Star Game? No, they'll probably be attending fan and sponsor events where they have to pose for and sign a million pictures when they aren't in the Skills Competition or the game.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest surprise to me is Leafs fan base couldn't get Reilly in over Skinner.

Always had a feeling it would Draisaitl for the Pacific and really I'm fine with Gio getting some extra rest.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-11-2019 at 12:56 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the two Norris front runners aren't even going.

Lol
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
He's RICH. You don't think Giordano could afford a last minute flight to Cancun? No one is saying that Gio will be stretching out at Sikome Lake because he's not playing in the All Star Game.

Also, do you think players will have time to lay on the beach in San Jose if they are participating in the All Star Game? No, they'll probably be attending fan and sponsor events where they have to pose for and sign a million pictures when they aren't in the Skills Competition or the game.
San Jose actually doesn't have any beaches anyway. You have to drive about an hour to get to one.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #47
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I don't think the All-Star game takes much from a player really. This is a extremely casual event. It's not like players that go to All-Star games suffer in the games after.

Gio not going is a snub, but the NHL All-Star doesn't have any real prestige anyway compared to other leagues.
Tell that to Rick Dipietro.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #48
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
No GIO???

NO BRAYDEN POINT???

TOTAL BS

I put in my 10 votes every day for the 2 Calgary guys
Wait. Did you think the NHL was counting only your votes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #49
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Biggest surprise to me is Leafs fan base couldn't get Reilly in over Skinner.

Always had a feeling it would Draisaitl for the Pacific and really I'm fine with Gio getting some extra rest.
Probably the issue was that they split the vote with Marner.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #50
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL needs to stop pandering to fan bases and send the best players instead. If your team is a tire fire and doesn’t get to send anyone then too bad.

Draisaitl is overrated. Monahan and Gio should be there. Sorry but the 2nd overall team only sending one guy is a joke.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The NHL needs to stop pandering to fan bases and send the best players instead. If your team is a tire fire and doesn’t get to send anyone then too bad.

Draisaitl is overrated. Monahan and Gio should be there. Sorry but the 2nd overall team only sending one guy is a joke.
Pandering to fan bases and corporate sponsors is why there is an All Star Game.

I think in the past they did experiment with non-inclusiveness for teams. I think Calgary got no rep at least once.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sure every player deep down appreciates the recognition, be it from fans or whomever. But this is a good thing for Gio and the Flames.

And just listening to satellite radio and other non Calgary media, I think he is getting some serious attention now for the Norris. Getting your name on a trophy like that is certainly going to be more meaningful to Gio.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #53
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well in case you didn't notice Calgary doesn't have any beaches for Gio to ly around on, (it's actually pretty depressing here in the winter especially when you have 15 million in the bank) San Jose does.

I think for the most part the players enjoy this and want to go. Get to meet and hang around with all the stars in the league, in a less than seris "business" atmosphere . Attend all the events, fan related meet and greets, going out for dinner and drinks with all the guys etc. Guys like Ovechkin and Price hack both been many many times so I could see them declining. Kinda like your works Christmas party. They were fun to attend when you started with your company but after attending 7 years worth of work Xmas parties in a row, it kinda gets old and you'd rather just stay home and chillz wit da old lady!

I especially think it's beneficial for young players who go to the all star games as they get to skate and practise with most of the leagues best and get to pick up some tips and tricks of th game. The goalies will get a more intimate look at the snipers in the league and can pick up certain moves and shots of theirs in practise.
lol
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #54
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Probably the issue was that they split the vote with Marner.
Each (and every) team only had one rep in the voting for the final roster spot, so that wouldn't be the case. I'm also surprised Toronto's fan base didn't get Reilley in...given his Norris hype too.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
McDavid has lots of fans and social media followers. He was pushing his fans to vote in Draisaitl pretty hard.

Ivw actually thought of this before, I wonder if anyone has ever won the Hart trophy or Norris trophy the same year they were an All Star snub? Same thing with making NHL 1st All Star team but being an All Star game snub??

Anyone know?
Just randomly I looked up Norris winners and it looks like Rob Blake won in 1998 but was not an All Star game selection. Oddly, he was selected in 97 and from 99-04.

Looks like Lidstom might have won the Norris once when he didn't get picked for the ASG (2006) as well.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #56
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Um, the whole point of the All Star game is to pander to fan bases. That's why I was pissed when they initially threatened to not let Scott go. They finally came to their senses, and we got one of the more interesting All Star games in years.

Really, NHL should just open it up to total fan voting and let whomever gets voted in go. I want to see Sam Bennett at the all star game knocking heads and taking names lol.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #57
brew
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Um, the whole point of the All Star game is to pander to fan bases. That's why I was pissed when they initially threatened to not let Scott go. They finally came to their senses, and we got one of the more interesting All Star games in years.

Really, NHL should just open it up to total fan voting and let whomever gets voted in go. I want to see Sam Bennett at the all star game knocking heads and taking names lol.
Then we have another Rory Fitzpatrick situation and I'm perfectly ok with that
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #58
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be fun to breakdown the all star groupings by salary.
The Edmonton duo + anyone will be the worst salaries at the entire game by a long shot.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #59
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon39

Quote:
Did you just brag about having $15M in the bank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post

The All Star game is for children. Literally. It's an event for kids. That's why it's played at 1 in the afternoon on a Sunday.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 01-11-2019 at 01:48 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #60
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
2 Oilers going and 1 Flame........lol, it's just so ridiculous.

Not often you have an ASG without the best d-man in the league going.
I too am shocked Douglas Hamilton was not picked...Smh