Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #1361
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone ever go to the Pied Pickle? what did it serve?

I just remember listening to all those commercials on the radio during flames game but was too young to go.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #1362
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

I just remember listening to all those commercials on the radio during flames game but was too young to go.
Pickle Pie

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #1363
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #1364
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't even realized they closed.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #1365
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We visted St. Huberts in QC a couple of years ago, but weren't crazy about it. I thought they sell the sauces here in cans at grocery stores? I swear I saw a St. Huberts can of poutine sauce or gravy.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #1366
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

on a couple of occasions I won the pied pickle trivia contests by calling into the John Henderson post game show, once on air he accused me that I must have looked the answer up (this was way pre-internet) , and as a ~15 yo kid I was pretty pissed off that indeed no this was just one of the millions of pieces of hockey trivia I had in my head, it involved Danish born hockey player Poul Popiel on whom I owned several hockey cards

anyways I digress...if you won you got a jazzy yellow pied pickle sweatshirt and a free lunch. I had the smoked meat sandwhich
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #1367
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
on a couple of occasions I won the pied pickle trivia contests by calling into the John Henderson post game show, once on air he accused me that I must have looked the answer up (this was way pre-internet) , and as a ~15 yo kid I was pretty pissed off that indeed no this was just one of the millions of pieces of hockey trivia I had in my head, it involved Danish born hockey player Poul Popiel on whom I owned several hockey cards

anyways I digress...if you won you got a jazzy yellow pied pickle sweatshirt and a free lunch. I had the smoked meat sandwhich
Damn. Hockey talk with John Henderson! He would get so pissed when kids would call and ask him how many goals and points a flames player would have. We did it a few times.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #1368
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Pied Pickle had several locations, including one at the old Franklin Mall in the NE at one point.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #1369
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My folks are from MTL, would always take us to St. Hubert BBQ. Remember the location was where I believe Redwater Grill on Macleod Trail S is.

That folded around 1988(?) and the now shuttered Swiss Chalet across the street became our family haunt. Back when it looked like a Swiss lodge and the waitresses dressed as swiss miss'.

Their St. Hubert seasoning was sold in stores for a long time after. Our kitchen always had that and Hy's Steak Spice.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #1370
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Damn. Hockey talk with John Henderson! He would get so pissed when kids would call and ask him how many goals and points a flames player would have. We did it a few times.
I certainly pissed him off one time

it was during the 85-86 season when Suter was battling Clark (Tor) and MTL (Dahlin) for the Calder, Henderson argued that if it was 'any other season' Suter would win easily but would be in tough due to Tor/MTL media bias (some things never change)

anyways I called into to counter, really? any other season? as in he would have beat out Lemieux? (the year prior) or Barrasso (who had a monster goalie season as an 18 year old? the year before that), or Hawerchuk? or Bourque? or Bossy? or Stastny?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #1371
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I went to the one on 17th a lot, I lived a couple of blocks away, also dated a waitress there.
Matter of fact I was in there briefly when the Flames won the cup in 89.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:58 PM   #1372
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pied Pickle was in at least 3 spots downtown in the 90s. SunLife Plaza, where Local is on 6 Ave (Pizza place was in basement) , and where Redwater was in Bow Valley Square.

Speaking of Redwater, St Hubert in late 80s was where Redwater is on MacLeod
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #1373
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I remember a Pied Pickle TV commercial featuring Young Guns-era Flames players -- Iggy dances the moonwalk in it. I think Todd Simpson and Ron Stern were in it too.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #1374
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pied Pickle was good.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #1375
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I remember a Pied Pickle TV commercial featuring Young Guns-era Flames players -- Iggy dances the moonwalk in it. I think Todd Simpson and Ron Stern were in it too.
Do not speak of those times.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #1376
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone remember The Flamingo Palace? It was located near the corner of 11th Ave. and 2nd St SE. The building is still there but there is no longer a restaurant in it. The restaurant was located in the basement, with the dining room on the east side, and the lounge on the west. I worked as a busboy there for about 2 or 3 months back in late 1987 or early 1988. Not exactly sure of the timeframe but I definitely remember working there during the winter months. Anyway, I was told when I started that lots of Flames would dine there after games. Didn't encounter that many Flames but I did serve Al MacInnis (who was clearly on a date), and Ric Nattress and his family. I remember going in one night for work and a fellow busboy told me I had missed Neil Sheehy the night before.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #1377
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there might have been a commercial about Flamingo Palace that mentioned the Flames going there.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #1378
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Anyone remember The Flamingo Palace? It was located near the corner of 11th Ave. and 2nd St SE. .
never been there but when we first moved to Calgary we had to live at the Pink Flamingo motel until our house was ready, which was adjacent to the (already mentioned in this thread) Bob's Big boy restaurant
Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #1379
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone remember The Flamingo Palace? It was located near the corner of 11th Ave. and 2nd St SE. The building is still there but there is no longer a restaurant in it. The restaurant was located in the basement, with the dining room on the east side, and the lounge on the west. I worked as a busboy there for about 2 or 3 months back in late 1987 or early 1988. Not exactly sure of the timeframe but I definitely remember working there during the winter months. Anyway, I was told when I started that lots of Flames would dine there after games. Didn't encounter that many Flames but I did serve Al MacInnis (who was clearly on a date), and Ric Nattress and his family. I remember going in one night for work and a fellow busboy told me I had missed Neil Sheehy the night before.
Yes, it was a definite Flames post-game hangout. As a youngster, my dad took me there one time after a game and Sergei Makarov showed up with his family. Probably my first "in person" celebrity moment outside of a public autograph signing at a card show. Anyways, Sergei graciously signed a hockey card for me, even after I tripped over his wife's (probably very expensive fur) coat that was on her chair. Hope I didn't damage it
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #1380
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
What was the name of the big pool hall on the second floor of the building at the corner of 10th Ave and 1st St SW, above where Vicious Circle used to be? I want to say Diesel but not sure if that's correct. We used to go there all the time.
Wife says it was called The Corner Pocket...

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time