Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #3681
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Toronto Maple Leafs: Dougie Hamilton Rumours
https://editorinleaf.com/2019/01/06/...ilton-rumours/

Hahahahahahahahahaha.
Wow! That writer sounds like he's only ever watched this season of the Leafs, saw one shift of Dougie where he scored, and heard about some of the league's elite defencemen one time.

Apparently if the Leafs acquire Dougie, "This wouldn’t just put the Leafs over the top, it would make them among the best teams ever assembled in the history of the NHL."
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #3682
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Athletic article mentioned that the only reason Hamilton is on the market is because they need to move a RHD with Dougie, Pesce, TVR, and Faulk on the roster. They comment on how they want to open a spot for Fox and add scoring. They might need to gift a spot to Fox to get him to sign.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #3683
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin is light years better than Dougie defensively, so that wins the trade right there.

Hanifin has become better than Dougie offensively too, so that's just gravy.

Lindholm for Ferland has been a homerun +.

This trade is a franchise changer.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #3684
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The Athletic article mentioned that the only reason Hamilton is on the market is because they need to move a RHD with Dougie, Pesce, TVR, and Faulk on the roster. They comment on how they want to open a spot for Fox and add scoring. They might need to gift a spot to Fox to get him to sign.
It would be nice if Carolina could keep one piece from that trade, I guess.

Ouch.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #3685
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Hanifin is light years better than Dougie defensively, so that wins the trade right there.

No question

Who would of thought hiring the coach and making a blockbuster with the team that has the longest playoff drought would turn our team into a contender.

The way this trade balanced our blueline and improved our top line is the biggest reason this team took the step they did this year.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #3686
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

And yet, a read through pages 1-5 of this thread is a whole different story. What a difference six months makes...
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #3687
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Mid season review of the trade from the Carolina perspective

DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #3688
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If Hamilton moves I'm very intrigued to see the return he gets. Moving for a third time overall, and for the second time within one season, would have to hurt his value you'd think.

As some point where there is smoke there is fire, and it's becoming more clear that the flaws in Dougie's game outweigh the positive impacts that he might have on shot generation.

IMO moving Slavin or Pesce won't happen. Both locked up long term at reasonable contracts. Same with De Haan who just signed this offeseason.

So really if they move a d-man it's one of:

Dougie: 2.5 years at $5.75 - 25 years old
Faulk: 1.5 years at $4.8 - 26 years old
TVR: 1.5 years at $2.3M - 27 years old

When you look at that though you'd think that Faulk or TVR would both be on the block before Dougie if they are making room for Fox. But once again it seems that Dougie just isn't what Carolina thought they were getting.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #3689
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
And yet, a read through pages 1-5 of this thread is a whole different story. What a difference six months makes...
That's correct, the majority of posters saw this a reason to fire Treliving.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #3690
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that the trade also feels more lopsided than it was because we got Brodie back as well. If Brodie stayed terrible and Hanifan/Hamonic was forced to be a 2 and Brodie was an average to poor 4 this trade doesn’t look so good.

However we traded Hamilton, Ferland and Fox for a number 2 denfensemen, a number 3 defensemen and a 1st line winger. Hamilton could have lived up to his potential in the deal and it’s still lopsided because we got Brodie back
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #3691
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think that the trade also feels more lopsided than it was because we got Brodie back as well. If Brodie stayed terrible and Hanifan/Hamonic was forced to be a 2 and Brodie was an average to poor 4 this trade doesn’t look so good...
We can't know for sure, but I would bet that management felt pretty confident about how Brodie would perform with Giordano this year on the basis of discussions with the Captain. I think Giordano requested that he be reunited with Brodie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #3692
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Which is true, but also a little disingenuous

They traded for Hamilton when they already had the other three defenseman on the roster, nobody has just started buying sticks that curve the other way.

If Hamilton is the guy it's because he hasn't been what they thought he was when they acquired him.

Is that not as good defensively? Not a great fit in the room? I won't pretend to know.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #3693
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

They traded for Hamilton when they already had the other three defenseman on the roster, nobody has just started buying sticks that curve the other way.

If Hamilton is the guy it's because he hasn't been what they thought he was when they acquired him.

Is that not as good defensively? Not a great fit in the room? I won't pretend to know.
That was my biggest question on the Carolina side. They traded for Hamilton when they were already deep in defencemen. They obviously thought they were getting the best player, and a guy who would be a long term top pairing D.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #3694
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly. They knew they had 4 RD when they acquired him. And when you have an abundance of players at one position, and plan to move one out, you don't move the new guy that you just paid a lot to acquire.

If they are considering moving Hamilton, that speaks volumes. No matter how softly Friedman wants to try and spin it.

What amazes me is how quickly this has come about. When we acquired him, there were things about his game that weren't perfect - he was still a kid - but there was lots to like, and lots of reasons for optimism. Now, 4 years later, the assumed growth hasn't really materialized, and we still have the same issues with his game.

His stock is dropping. Fast. And Treliving moved him at the right time.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #3695
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What are the odds Elias Lindholm wins the Selke Trophy this season? 1.14 pts/gm (93 point pace) and currently sits at +27 which is #1 among all NHL forwards and #2 behind just Giordano overall in the league. Usual suspects like Barkov, Kopitar aren’t having a great seasons, Bergeron missed a month and I’m not sure if Toews has the same cache that he use to. I think his odds are actually quite good.

Actually, if everything goes right for the Flames. They could theoretically sweep the Hart, Selke, Norris, Adams with an outside shot at the Vezina and scoring titles.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #3696
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
What are the odds Elias Lindholm wins the Selke Trophy this season? 1.14 pts/gm (93 point pace) and currently sits at +27 which is #1 among all NHL forwards and #2 behind just Giordano overall in the league. Usual suspects like Barkov, Kopitar aren’t having a great seasons, Bergeron missed a month and I’m not sure if Toews has the same cache that he use to. I think his odds are actually quite good.

Actually, if everything goes right for the Flames. They could theoretically sweep the Hart, Selke, Norris, Adams with an outside shot at the Vezina and scoring titles.
The last Selke winner who wasn't a pure centre was Jere Lehtinen in 2002-03. Lindholm might have a look at it though, given the usual suspects are having off years and Bergeron has missed 20 games.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #3697
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post

I think Lindholm will get Selke consideration. However, it is probably a pipe-dream to imagine that Giordano would garner enough votes League-wide to win the Norris, and Rittich will not be a Vezina candidate after a four-month stint as a starting goalie. He probably won’t play many more than 50 games this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-08-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #3698
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm has been unbelievable this year, both offensively and defensively. He is, without question, playing well enough to be in the Selke conversation. However, there are 2 reasons why I don't believe he has a snowball's chance in hell:

1) he isn't a C.
2) he doesn't have a track record - the Selke, like the Norris, is often a cumulative prize.

And I'll add a 3rd: with Gaudreau, Giordano, and Peters all deserving, and getting consideration (assuming things remain the same, and obviously there is a lot of hockey left), I don't think there would be any appetite to add a 4th Flame to the awards conversations.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #3699
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

There have been rumors regarding Hamilton's fit in the dressing room right back to his time in Boston, with that amount of smoke there's usually some kind of fire. I think that coupled with Carolina realizing he's not a good player in his own zone have made them realize they made a huge mistake. I'm so glad Treliving sold on Hamilton when his value was still high
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #3700
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To defend the Canes I believe they were fully planning on moving Faulk this summer. It took them a while to move Skinner and the return was brutal. They probably did not like the offers on Faulk so they held on but they desperately need to move a RHD for scoring. You would think they would be in the drivers seat but then Waddell is their GM