Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #121
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wanted to share.
I read today an article on the Globe and Mail that stated that the end of the bull market could be predicted by the widening spread of the yields between junk bonds and government bonds, and that this has worked 8 of the last 9 times.

Here is the article:
https://goo.gl/LJWqgk

Currently, the spread is narrow, so we might be in a steady bull market for the short term.

Here is a nice chart:

https://goo.gl/gQShSx
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #122
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's some free info/education in town...

https://www.tradingacademy.com/

It's got some good reviews and it does seem like a lot of info for free. Obviously the point is to get you to sign up and pay for the real info at the end of the class. But it might be a start for anyone looking for a free intro. Worth it if you learn something.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #123
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Is that the one that advertises on the radio and has the people struggling to make ends meet, so they solve that by investing? Because to me, that entire premise is dubious at best.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #124
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
^ Is that the one that advertises on the radio and has the people struggling to make ends meet, so they solve that by investing? Because to me, that entire premise is dubious at best.

Yeah that's the one. I haven't done it actually so it could just be a scam but info never hurts.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #125
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yeah that's the one. I haven't done it actually so it could just be a scam but info never hurts.
I haven't done it either, for fairly obvious reasons I suppose, but I don't really agree that if it's a scam it's still positive somehow. Things like that poison the industry and make it difficult for the average person to separate fact from fiction.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #126
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I haven't done it either, for fairly obvious reasons I suppose, but I don't really agree that if it's a scam it's still positive somehow. Things like that poison the industry and make it difficult for the average person to separate fact from fiction.

Sure. There are charlatans out there as well as legitimate programs that don't work very well. But there are also valid ways and means to learn trading. Quite often people ask in this thread where to go to learn how to trade. Slamming the door and saying you have to have a CFA or you're going to lose all your money is just dumb. The average person should simply start gathering information.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #127
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Sure. There are charlatans out there as well as legitimate programs that don't work very well. But there are also valid ways and means to learn trading. Quite often people ask in this thread where to go to learn how to trade. Slamming the door and saying you have to have a CFA or you're going to lose all your money is just dumb. The average person should simply start gathering information.
I didn't say you need a CFA. What I said is that the premise of people who are struggling to make ends meet and then show up at a seminar which is going to suddenly see them invest and cover all the bases sounds dubious to me. Take that for what it is.

The truth is though, there are plenty of legitimate resources out there for people to learn to invest, and thousands of fully qualified, licensed people to help them along the way.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #128
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's nothing that a high priced trading course is going to offer you that you can't get for free or very little money from other sources. The free seminar is just them trying to convince you to pay $10K+ for their classes; it's basically the investing equivalent of going to a time share presentation.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #129
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I bought pretty heavily into two linked Weed stocks

Inner Sprit Holdings ISH.CN Has around a 100 franchised stores opening across Canada

Bought in at .235 took a little profit(10% of shares) at .35

RRL.v Relentless Resources (has a change of name and business conditional approval to Sugarbud Craft Growers Corp)

This is my biggest holding, Bought in at .08 and am holding. a O@G company with profitable assets, thats using its assets as collateral to build into Craft Weed grower. Currently almost done a huge greenhouse in Stavely. They have secured a ton of non dilutive financing, and have Inner Spirit, as a Partner.

https://business.financialpost.com/c...ry-went-to-pot
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #130
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Man, what the hell is going on with RNW this week?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #131
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Man, what the hell is going on with RNW this week?
I am thinking of jumping in, but it's always a bit scary to buy a stock with a very high dividend. It's not usually a good sign. Are investors worried they can't maintain the dividend?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #132
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I am thinking of jumping in, but it's always a bit scary to buy a stock with a very high dividend. It's not usually a good sign. Are investors worried they can't maintain the dividend?
It does look attractive here but we could be in the middle of a market correction here. This stock could get even cheaper.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #133
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell is with the overall market? Down myself about 5% overall over the past 3 weeks. Annoying at the very least.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #134
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a pile of cash ready to buy some cheap ETFs.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #135
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
It does look attractive here but we could be in the middle of a market correction here. This stock could get even cheaper.
Market timing hasn’t proven to be a good strategy.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #136
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Market timing hasn’t proven to be a good strategy.
Timing the bottom is often not a good strategy. Buying stocks at a cheaper price is always a good strategy.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #137
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much red.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #138
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Timing the bottom is often not a good strategy. Buying stocks at a cheaper price is always a good strategy.
For sure. But while you are waiting for the cheaper prices, you may miss out. If price is the only metric being employed, I think index funds are a better vehicle.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #139
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I've got a pile of cash ready to buy some cheap ETFs.
I recently transferred 30k into my margin account. I'm happy I didn't pull the trigger a week ago.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #140
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is this a correction? Is it possible stocks don't always....just go up in price? No one can predict the future, but it's obvious a lot of people have been lulled into believing markets only go up over the last ten years.

Interesting that bonds are getting hammered, too.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote