Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #241
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I know binging and purging is technically a bad idea, but I really love food and need to lose a few pounds. Is it the worst thing in the world to continue to eat what I want and take laxatives for a month or two until I'm down to where I want to be weight wise?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 09:51 PM   #242
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Does anyone know how accurate Fitbit's are for calories burned in a day I am constantly burning over 3300 a day apparently which I think is high and its confusing as to how much I should eat to try and put on muscle I have upped my calories to about 2900 a day and have always had a tough time putting on muscle I have a very lean body type
If you are eating 2900 calories a day, are totally lean and not gaining weight, then the estimate may not be too far off.

I'm assuming you're going for some kind of leaner bulk? If you are under 30 and tallish, requiring 3500+ calories wouldn't be uncommon.

When I was 27 I needed well over 3000 calories to put on weight and I'm only 5'7''... That did not persist past 35.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 PM   #243
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
How tall are you, age, weight and how much exercise are you doing?
That seems high, but it depends on your size, age, what you're doing.

Also make sure your settings are right. If you've input the age or weight wrong for example it will greatly impact the calorie burn estimates you get since it basically measures your heat rate and runs some calculations off those inputs.

I'm 5'11, 36, started the year at 194lbs.
I burn around 2700-2800 calories per day and workout 6 days a week. I've been eating 2200 calories for a deficit and down to 178 lbs (16 lb loss over 14 weeks).

3300 seems quite high unless you're much bigger than me.
No smaller actually34 years old 5'9 152 pounds I do alot of weight training 6 days a week different body areas and walk over 10k steps a day with cardio days every 2nd day I would consider myself between very active and extremely active but even then my body weight calculator says I should be eating about 2900 calories to build muscle
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #244
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If you are eating 2900 calories a day, are totally lean and not gaining weight, then the estimate may not be too far off.

I'm assuming you're going for some kind of leaner bulk? If you are under 30 and tallish, requiring 3500+ calories wouldn't be uncommon.

When I was 27 I needed well over 3000 calories to put on weight and I'm only 5'7''... That did not persist past 35.
I'll have to really pay attention to this next week I have cut out my sweets and started recording what I eat again I'll see if I gain or lose at 2900 and go from there which is super annoying lol
Old 04-10-2020, 01:50 AM   #245
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I know binging and purging is technically a bad idea, but I really love food and need to lose a few pounds. Is it the worst thing in the world to continue to eat what I want and take laxatives for a month or two until I'm down to where I want to be weight wise?
That does not sound healthy at all. I think it makes more sense to keep eating what you enjoy, but make sure to pad your meals with stuff that is higher fibre so you get full and aren't taking on excess calories.

Steamed/raw veggies
Oatmeal
Brown rice
Fresh fruit
etc.

Another silly way I found years ago was to lower the portion size and increase the pieces. For instance, Charcuterie boards. Bigger pieces and I find I just wolf it down without appreciating it. Cut those same pieces into 1/3 to 1/4, I find I am wolfing down less before I mindfully enjoying the food.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #246
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I'll have to really pay attention to this next week I have cut out my sweets and started recording what I eat again I'll see if I gain or lose at 2900 and go from there which is super annoying lol
2900 may not be too far off either, just for maintenance. At 5'9'' you might have a base calorie consumption of around 2500 calories. Then factor in all the exercise you're doing.

You might also want to look at what kind of exercises you're doing. Most people won't put on consistent muscle mass without consistent heavy lifting. People can go on about the benefits of body weight exercise, but it has its limitations. For the average out of shape guy looking to increase overall health, you can do a surprisingly large amount without weights. However, you need resistance to gain size. Nothing can replace a heavy compound lift, like a squat or press. Your muscles aren't going to grow big unless you've given them a reason to do that.

Also you may not be counting calories properly. For example if you are cooking food, you will burn off calories on the cooking process.

Last edited by blankall; 04-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #247
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
No, no. I was doing 15%. So 15 push ups, 15 sit ups, 15 squats and 1.5 km run/jog/walk.

I thought that was light enough as an adaptation phase, but apparently not because I strained my back doing it on the 4th consecutive day at 15%.
Ahh gotcha. That's a great way to do it. Was it the sit ups that seemed to bother your back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
You'd really just be losing water. I'd go the vomiting route if you're truly serious about it.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #248
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Ahh gotcha. That's a great way to do it. Was it the sit ups that seemed to bother your back?
I am not entirely sure. I didn't feel like I injured myself during the exercises and it's possible some other activity in tandem caused the strain (ie: picking up my kid, shoveling, etc.). I just woke up the day with a very bad mid back strain that bothered both the push ups and sit ups to the point I didn't think it was a good idea to keep doing them. The back is fine with regular day to day motions, it just kinda triggers once I hit a specific range/angle of motion.

Currently doing 15 lunges/15 squats and walk instead of jogs. I'll probably try push ups and sit ups later this weekend.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #249
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I am not entirely sure. I didn't feel like I injured myself during the exercises and it's possible some other activity in tandem caused the strain (ie: picking up my kid, shoveling, etc.). I just woke up the day with a very bad mid back strain that bothered both the push ups and sit ups to the point I didn't think it was a good idea to keep doing them. The back is fine with regular day to day motions, it just kinda triggers once I hit a specific range/angle of motion.

Currently doing 15 lunges/15 squats and walk instead of jogs. I'll probably try push ups and sit ups later this weekend.
Well the mid back is quite flexed in a sit up so that wouldn't be surprising.

For what it's worth crunches have similar EMG activity in abdominals as sit ups with less mid back stress.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:34 PM   #250
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
So how's everybody's workouts going so far? I feel I can replicate arms day and shoulders day decently well, but today was chest which is always frustrating..its just not even close to the same as the gym. Yeah yeah pushups, I know..its just not the same, and it's so boring after a while haha. I miss the good old fashioned bench press so much!

And yeah legs are hard too, but I have a bad left knee so I tend to go pretty easy on legs even when the gyms were still open. I've just been doing body weight squats, good enough.
Since the shutdown, I have gone to the 16/8 fasting routine, which has been great for both calorie limitation and just general feeling of wellness. I also picked up on a suggestion from Joe Rogan and have started shadowboxing with 2 lb dumbells. What a workout.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #251
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Since the shutdown, I have gone to the 16/8 fasting routine, which has been great for both calorie limitation and just general feeling of wellness. I also picked up on a suggestion from Joe Rogan and have started shadowboxing with 2 lb dumbells. What a workout.
I remember including light dumb bells or wrist weights this with the Tae Bo workout. Double time is nearly impossible to sustain with weights.

EDIT: Pulled up some Tae Bo Videos and started moving along with the video. It's kinda fun actually. I wonder if I'll be able to add this to my quarantine workout without hurting myself...

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-10-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #252
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any good protein powders I can order from amazon? Not looking for anything over the top (weight gain 4000), just something for an after workout drink or good in a smoothie. Usually do the Leanfit natural from Costco since it’s a good price and mixes well but I’m running low and it’s a long drive from our house when we really need anything else there.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #253
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Any good protein powders I can order from amazon? Not looking for anything over the top (weight gain 4000), just something for an after workout drink or good in a smoothie. Usually do the Leanfit natural from Costco since it’s a good price and mixes well but I’m running low and it’s a long drive from our house when we really need anything else there.
Not amazon, but reputable. Shipping takes about a week (pre-pandemic).
https://canadianprotein.com/
Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discoste For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #254
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoste View Post
Not amazon, but reputable. Shipping takes about a week (pre-pandemic).
https://canadianprotein.com/

$1.99 flavour samples with free shipping. I’ll give them a try, thanks
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #255
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use that Canadian Protein (Isolate) and ordered mine from Amazon Prime, they have it on there too.
Got a huge bag that last me months and was by far the best priced isolate I could find anywhere.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #256
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I ordered some of the economy protein from there, so we'll see how that goes.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #257
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

GNC tends to have better prices than Amazon. At least in America.
The Ghost stuff is a lot cheaper.

Myprotein is the cheapest in general, from what I've seen. Bad quality though.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #258
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

GNC in Canada has the worst pricing of anyone. Not even sure how many GNC's are still around.
Not sure about Calgary, but here in Vancouver you can get free delivery from supplements stores like Body Energy Club right now.
Between that or Amazon/Costco online orders, you're set for whatever needed.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #259
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Does anyone know a good place to get some resistance bands? Preferably a full set.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #260
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does this seem like a good split
Mon: arms chest abs
Tues: back shoulder legs
Weds:arms chest abs
Thurs:back shoulder legs
Fri: full body
Sat and sunday rest days? Too much rest? Or just make fri arms chest abs?

Last edited by Robo; 04-17-2020 at 12:56 PM.