Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Senators 6 Flames 1

Game Takes: Senators 6 Flames 1

- if the Flames were on a roll and had a game like this I'd give them a pass as they were exhausted
- but they haven't been good overall, so it's two more lost points in a bleak effort
- David Rittich had his bubble burst as what went well in Toronto went very wrong in Ottawa
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not even mad. Actually kind of relieved now that reality is setting in and I have adjusted my expectations accordingly. I do think when you ride the wave of mediocrity for as long as this organization has, that the only way to climb out of it is to bottom out. Finishing bottom 5 would make for a lot of change and this organization has badly needed big changes top to bottom for a while.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

“The Flames had a good solid five or six minutes to start the period, but then seemed to lose their energy and confidence when the Senators turned a rebound into a 1-0 lead”

Yup. More evidence of lack of mental toughness. Can’t sustain strong play when something goes wrong
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo
"But honestly I don’t know if I’ve seen such a prolonged series of players mishandling routine plays as I’ve seen with the Flames this year.

"It’s almost game in and game out from players that are generally pretty slick at managing the puck.

"Is it nerves? A tight team? Trying to do too much?"
I am glad to know that I am not alone in seeing this. It is almost comical how bad every single Flames player is right now at handling the puck, passing the puck, and receiving passes. How does that even happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-26-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #5
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Solid 5 or 6 minutes"... no

All I saw was even play up to that point. It wasn't like they were dominating and then just collapsed. They played okay until Ottawa got a couple odd man rushes and their confidence started to grow.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding handling the puck...

Someone posted some videos in another thread which did a good job of illustrating how the Flames forwards bunch together. The purpose - I assume - is to support each other. The problem is that they are so close together that passing the puck becomes a challenge. Also, they hesitate a lot, not knowing which guy is going to go for the loose puck. When there are three guys within 10 or 15 feet of each other, those are exactly the problems that are going to materialize.

That, and their propensity to want to slow it down to half speed. That allows the other team to a) be all over them, and b) beat them to loose pucks when they materialize.

It is TERRIBLE hockey. And the only guy that looks good doing it is Lucic - it suits him perfectly. Though he is coughing the puck up as much as anyone.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #7
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

All I saw was even play up to that point. It wasn't like they were dominating and then just collapsed. They played okay until Ottawa got a couple odd man rushes and their confidence started to grow.
I am with you here. This wasn't a mental breakdown.

Good teams often play well against the Flames because they play with confidence. Why? Because Flames just aren't that great.

IMO this team doesn't need a psychologist or mentalist to improve their mental toughness. They need some better players. That will allow them to play with more confidence on a regular basis.

Coaching would help here too, I'm sure of that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Given the way they've started games of late it felt like domination!

But honestly they had some good zone time, but they're not getting pucks to the net.

They pass it around the perimeter, even win their share of board battles (that was the case in the first 5-6 minutes) but it never amounts to anything.

Chris Tanev is the worst at it ... passing up on clear shooting opportunities and just chipping it down low, etc.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #9
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

At the 10:30 mark of the first period:

OTT: Goals 2 Shots 7
CGY: Goals 0 Shots 2

Tells you all you need to know about this team.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why couldn't we use these games against Ottawa to play some of the young guys like Ruzicka and Phillips?

The only reason I can think of is because they want to keep them away from this team while it's so dysfunctional, and man oh man that tells me they need to clean house with management and coaches.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Given the way they've started games of late it felt like domination!

But honestly they had some good zone time, but they're not getting pucks to the net.

They pass it around the perimeter, even win their share of board battles (that was the case in the first 5-6 minutes) but it never amounts to anything.

Chris Tanev is the worst at it ... passing up on clear shooting opportunities and just chipping it down low, etc.
Yes. Even when they have zone time, they play it around the perimeter. And again, the team is not built for that.

Everything this team does, flies in complete contradiction to the makeup of the personnel. That's why so many people think they are talentless - yes, they are not talented at doing the things that they are currently trying to do.