Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #41
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would not move back here if I were you. What about the Okanagan?. If you don’t mind the cold how about Prince George?. Hope you and your partner find a location that works out for the two of you.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #42
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Why Calgary? Just familiarity? If you're going to move why not try something new?

Assuming your jobs are mobile since you didn't mention having to give them up in a move.
We're not just talking about Calgary. My wife's line of work could easily transfer to a number of American markets. Mine, maybe not as easily, but we are considering a move down south as well.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #43
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
We're not just talking about Calgary. My wife's line of work could easily transfer to a number of American markets. Mine, maybe not as easily, but we are considering a move down south as well.
Orange County, CA every day of the week then.

There is no better place on earth and since you are loaded, there is no problem spending 1.5mil on a condo.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #44
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Could you both live in the Caribbean?
The Following User Says Thank You to Svartsengi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #45
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Orange County, CA every day of the week then.

There is no better place on earth and since you are loaded, there is no problem spending 1.5mil on a condo.
No, I have a huge problem with spending 1.5M on a condo. I'm not a huge fan of the currently inflated real estate market across the Western world. It makes me skittish.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #46
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I spent the first 18 years of my life in Calgary, then spent 5 years in Victoria, and moved back to Calgary for a while. I mostly enjoyed those years moving back, but I forgot was how long the winters were. I didn't mind the cold, snowy Dec, Jan, Feb... but the crappy weather that continued through April into May was what got to me and then started up again end Sept is what got to me.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #47
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean if your only concern about Vancouver is the housing market, there are ways around that, e.g. move to Squamish and commute (and then you get to live in Squamish which is pretty badass). Or somewhere else where you can get a house for less than a million bucks. Even Bowen has lots you can get for about 300k, but then you're faced with the same problem I am in terms of building on one. Still, it's not West End Condo pricing.

But if that's not feasible and you really hate everything about it then obviously you should move. You shouldn't live somewhere you hate. You've been to Calgary before so you should presumably know if you like it here or not. It's got better restaurants than it did ten years ago... I would say that the city's growth and development, culturally, stalled around 2015 when everything went in the toilet industry-wise. So if you know what it was like in 2015, you've got a pretty good sense of what it's like now.

I dunno, I'm going the other way... I'm not moving, but I'm trying to give myself the ability to spend more of my time out west. I like Calgary, but I don't have kids and I think if you're in that situation, it's a better place to live if you're under 35 than over 35. Just my opinion though, and I don't mind rain.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #48
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I'm out in Cranbrook for work this week, and part of me could retire here.

Good climate, hospital, lots of nature for summer/winter enjoyment & airport for travel.

I could think of worse place to live out my old years.
Cranbrook is so underrated. Sure as you enter from either east or west, it’s a bit ugly.. but has great value for BC, and better amenities than most BC towns. Close to the border, lakes, and ski hills.

Pete, what about Canmore? It’s ####ing awesome. Not nearly as expensive as Vancouver, but definitely more than Calgary.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #49
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

You really seem like more of a norcal kind of guy. You’d fit in well on the SF side of the bay.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #50
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Good suggestion on Canmore.

Best part of Canmore is all the Nimbys that don't like seeing it expand. Turns out my new hobby is arguing with them. I think you'd have a lot of fun with that, too.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #51
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Caribbean interests you and your partner I think Barbados is actively trying to get people to relocate to their island.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #52
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're rich as #### why not live in Mission in a nice lot and take the WCE? 75 minute train ride not ideal, but you're rich, just get some Ambien for the train ride.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #53
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I have a huge problem with spending 1.5M on a condo. I'm not a huge fan of the currently inflated real estate market across the Western world. It makes me skittish.
Maybe somewhere you wouldn't really think about, possibly the SE US? Carolina's or the like? Never been but hear it's quite nice.

For me, I moved to Vancouver from Calgary about 5 years ago. I go back and forth a decent amount and find myself bored with city and frustrated with the people within a few weeks. Although I do enjoy seeing the mountains from the other side, and the city is remarkably clean compared to Vancouver. The amount of driving is bothersome when compared to how easy it is to get around Van. And then the weather, while the grey and rain can suck, it definitely doesn;t last as long as the prairie deepfreeze. End of Feb and we already see signs of spring here, Calgary has another couple months of rough weather. Knowing some of your thoughts on socio-political issues and such, it really has become strange to go back and forth. There's so much animosity between the two spots that you can't have a conversation about either in either place without annoying hyperbole about rain-soaked libtards vs frozen rednecks, even with friends.

I don't view Vancouver as a permanent stop for me and I definitely don't think buying property here is a good call at this point. But I baring any outside forces, I can't see myself going back to Calgary. If I move on, it would definitely be somewhere new (Hawaii is the dream). FWIW, my preferred location to live here in Van would be somewhere near Commercial.

I'm also a dual citizen so that makes my options easier on that front.

Last edited by Coach; 02-24-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Coach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #54
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
If Caribbean interests you and your partner I think Barbados is actively trying to get people to relocate to their island.
lol, like WTF. If he's trying to choose between Calgary and Vancouver, I'm pretty sure the Caribbean is as far removed from that as it gets.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #55
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean if your only concern about Vancouver is the housing market, there are ways around that, e.g. move to Squamish and commute (and then you get to live in Squamish which is pretty badass). Or somewhere else where you can get a house for less than a million bucks. Even Bowen has lots you can get for about 300k, but then you're faced with the same problem I am in terms of building on one. Still, it's not West End Condo pricing.

But if that's not feasible and you really hate everything about it then obviously you should move. You shouldn't live somewhere you hate. You've been to Calgary before so you should presumably know if you like it here or not. It's got better restaurants than it did ten years ago... I would say that the city's growth and development, culturally, stalled around 2015 when everything went in the toilet industry-wise. So if you know what it was like in 2015, you've got a pretty good sense of what it's like now.

I dunno, I'm going the other way... I'm not moving, but I'm trying to give myself the ability to spend more of my time out west. I like Calgary, but I don't have kids and I think if you're in that situation, it's a better place to live if you're under 35 than over 35. Just my opinion though, and I don't mind rain.
All strong points.

Maybe we are a bit too Goldilocks, but we really aren't willing to move to neighbourhoods that would entail a long commute for either of us. So obviously, we are bidding in neighbourhoods that are extremely high demand and we shouldn't expect lower prices. That said, this current boom has seen condo and townhouse bidding wars that are just ridiculous.

We bid on a two bed, one bath condo that was close to Granville Island. Asking was 800, we put in 840, and it ended up going for NINE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

If you want to talk about cultural development, Vancouver has taken massive steps backwards. Arts and cultural space is being shuttered at breakneck speed. There is almost nothing in the way of local music or art anymore.

As for restaurants and shops, it's fine here. Again, high commercial property taxes and rents mean that most of the high streets have a lot of vacancy. There was a block on 4th Ave in Kits (where I first lived in Van) which always had around 80% vacancy.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #56
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It would be a real baller move to actually let CP decide the details of your life. We could set up a series of polls on where you live, type of dwelling, type of car, when to have kids etc. You'd be like our very own Sim.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #57
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, like WTF. If he's trying to choose between Calgary and Vancouver, I'm pretty sure the Caribbean is as far removed from that as it gets.
He thanked my post when I suggested it. You need to actually read before responding.

Last edited by Svartsengi; 02-24-2021 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Spelled responding incorrectly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Svartsengi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #58
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
It would be a real baller move to actually let CP decide the details of your life. We could set up a series of polls on where you live, type of dwelling, type of car, when to have kids etc. You'd be like our very own Sim.
I would be very amused by this. Just make sure I end up 2.5 hours away from metallicat at all times.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #59
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mainly the economy. General feel of the city. I know things have been hard.
That's everywhere though

What are you looking for?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #60
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
So true, this would be a totally cool move on your part, Peter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: