Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #1
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Power outage at Cougar Ridge

Anyone nearby experincing the same thing?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://outages.enmax.com/portal/

None in Calgary reported.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://outages.enmax.com/portal/

None in Calgary reported.
2 hours to fix? WTF
Old 02-26-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
2 hours to fix? WTF
Who knows what happened? Someone could have driven into a power pole, or something major exploded. I'm not sure 2 hours is unreasonable...
Old 02-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #5
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone nearby experincing the same thing?
Yup I'm out in paskapoo as is the whole community

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #6
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
2 hours to fix? WTF
Quote:
Who knows what happened? Someone could have driven into a power pole, or something major exploded. I'm not sure 2 hours is unreasonable...
Ya, should thank your lucky stars it is only around 2 hours. House will retain sufficient heat it shouldn't be a big deal. Could be much worse
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #7
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Maybe another cold front rolled thru Texas
Old 02-27-2021, 11:52 PM   #8
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was damaged infrastructure on this outage, and it was fixed pretty quickly. Even though power outages suck, because of technology, the outage was contained to under 2k people for only a few hours. Thankfully its not too cold out for those affected
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pardon my lack of handyman knowledge, but how come when the electricity is out, we are losing heat because the furnace stops working? Isn't the furnace run with natural gas?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pardon my lack of handyman knowledge, but how come when the electricity is out, we are losing heat because the furnace stops working? Isn't the furnace run with natural gas?
There are all sorts of electric controls in the furnace. Even the igniter. Also, the blower motor.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are all sorts of electric controls in the furnace. Even the igniter. Also, the blower motor.
It's worth a few hundred to buy a small generator for emergency's, A gas furnace only needs 500-600 watts to run
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suffering is just part of the Human Condition.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #13
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your sacrifice will sustain us all through the winter. Songs will be sung, legends will be written. In hushed voices, as the darkness creeps in, children will hold close their pets for warmth, listening to the calming heartbeat through thick fur and whisper, "Remember Cougar Ridge."
Old 02-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #14
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone on this site purchased one of those large gas driven generators that would restore all the electricity required in the house, should there be an extended period in which the power is out?

It seems to me, that if in the future a large part of our grid includes renewables, that the system will be more vulnerable to blackouts, and the large generators mentioned above will become much more commonplace.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Your sacrifice will sustain us all through the winter. Songs will be sung, legends will be written. In hushed voices, as the darkness creeps in, children will hold close their pets for warmth, listening to the calming heartbeat through thick fur and whisper, "Remember Cougar Ridge."
This is The Way.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Has anyone on this site purchased one of those large gas driven generators that would restore all the electricity required in the house, should there be an extended period in which the power is out?

It seems to me, that if in the future a large part of our grid includes renewables, that the system will be more vulnerable to blackouts, and the large generators mentioned above will become much more commonplace.
If we are planning our grid around individual generators to cover the times we get blackouts from renewables, we may as well just give up right now.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we are planning our grid around individual generators to cover the times we get blackouts from renewables, we may as well just give up right now.
Thats not really the impression I got from his comment but yeah....

Old 02-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fare thee well Cougar Ridge....we hardly knew ye....

Old 02-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #19
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a matter of planning our grid around individual generators, it's a matter of planning our grid around renewables. If then, at some time in the future, a large part of our grid includes renewables, and the power generated therefrom hasn't sufficient storeage capability, then my little mind says the grid may be more vulnerable to power outages. Although maybe that is not the case, as I know very little as to how the power system works.

However, if I have a legitimate concern, and blackouts happen more frequently because of the increased renewables, it's every man for himself, and it may be prudent to install a large gas driven generator.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #20
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
It's not a matter of planning our grid around individual generators, it's a matter of planning our grid around renewables. If then, at some time in the future, a large part of our grid includes renewables, and the power generated therefrom hasn't sufficient storeage capability, then my little mind says the grid may be more vulnerable to power outages. Although maybe that is not the case, as I know very little as to how the power system works.

However, if I have a legitimate concern, and blackouts happen more frequently because of the increased renewables, it's every man for himself, and it may be prudent to install a large gas driven generator.
I guess that's my point. If our grid becomes so fragile that only the wealthy can maintain power regularly, while the rest suffer in the dark, we've failed massively.

So you either have a situation where we build a stable grid that costs more, but has no need for individual systems, or you build a delicate grid that forces everyone to look out for themselves, installing dirty generators, marginalizing the poor, and generally massively decreasing efficiencies of scale, well, I can tell you which one I'd prefer we pursue. If it means once every 5 years I have to go 6 hours without power, I'm ok with that. I'm not going to buy a $1000 generator for that scenario. I've been here 15 years and the 6 hour thing has happened once.

This is basically why we need to replace all the coal plants with gas(or, nuclear, LOL), and any renewables only count above our maximum consumption, so you never find yourself out of power because of wind failing to blow. We will see of our leaders are smart enough to figure that out...

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-28-2021 at 01:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: