Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-26-2021, 05:55 AM   #21
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Stoked for this thread. 07 GS, Really want to get a DR650, if funds allow.

Once roads are clear, I ride everywhere I don’t take my project car. My saddlebags are off and on in seconds, so my little bike is super handy.

Curious what you all do for skill development, particularly those who don’t get to ride much? It’s gotta be tough if you only get a few rides in a year, but that makes it even more important to practise your skills. Would anyone be interested in some casual practise meets this year? I practise pretty routinely but it’d be a fun way to get some more time on your motorbike while making you a safer rider. Because really, group rides kinda suck and hoping on your bike a few times a year to keep up with street Rossi’s is kind sketchy.
I make it a point to do a few rides that are just for practicing some things. I like to ride to a big open parking lot, so some hard stops and slower more difficult turns and things just to “warm up” in the spring. In a normal year I feel like I ride frequently, but I think a little tune up is a good idea. Some places offer these courses as well.

I’m up for a group ride or group rides though!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 06:30 AM   #22
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:

Once roads are clear, I ride everywhere I don’t take my project car. My saddlebags are off and on in seconds, so my little bike is super handy.

Curious what you all do for skill development, particularly those who don’t get to ride much? It’s gotta be tough if you only get a few rides in a year, but that makes it even more important to practise your skills. Would anyone be interested in some casual practise meets this year? I practise pretty routinely but it’d be a fun way to get some more time on your motorbike while making you a safer rider. Because really, group rides kinda suck and hoping on your bike a few times a year to keep up with street Rossi’s is kind sketchy.
Not a problem up here!

I put 12000kms on my 790 last year and 28 hours on my 450!

Always be riding!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #23
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:

I’ve taken the TooCoolMotorcycle refresher courses as well as some adventure focused skill courses which were great.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #24
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Where’d you find the ADV courses? Apparently TooCool used to host some dirt track stuff which would have been awesome. I’ve never ridden off road and would like to find some courses for that.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #25
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Where’d you find the ADV courses? Apparently TooCool used to host some dirt track stuff which would have been awesome. I’ve never ridden off road and would like to find some courses for that.
Chris Birch should be back by late summer-ish hopefully?

That's where I would go.

In the meantime download his "Say No to Slow" vid series and practice. They are very good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #26
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't ride now, but back when I was a teenager I started learning at around 14 or 15 (also with TooCool) and had my own bike at 16. Rode a Shadow Ace 750 all through high school and undergrad, and took it around most of Western North America, except for Alaska which I tried to reach but had mechanical issues in northern BC that stopped me.

After moving to Taiwan I also had a little 250cc cruiser (that was the max legal displacement) that I used for exploring random hidden villages and mysteries all over the island. Had amazing experiences because of it.

When I moved to mainland China, it didn't make sense anymore and I would just ride my Shadow on occasional trips back to Canada. I still have it though, and am not really inclined to ever get rid of it as there are too many memories connected to it. I have been thinking a lot about getting my dad's old Valkyrie up and running again though. He is too old to ride now but it's a beautiful bike and would be fun for showing my wife more of the Canadian wilderness in the summer.

Being on a bike was a huge part of my life when I was younger. I would ride year round when the roads weren't icy, and even a crazy ride from Vancouver to Calgary in snow and ice that had me arrive with icicles hanging off my fenders and nerve damage in my thumb from the cold. I really miss those experiences. Cars are of no interest to me, but being on a bike is something I have a visceral emotional connection to.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #27
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Chris Birch should be back by late summer-ish hopefully?

That's where I would go.

In the meantime download his "Say No to Slow" vid series and practice. They are very good.

Say No To Slow videos are great! If Chris does come back this summer (tbd at this time according to his wife) and he has spots in his offroad or dual sport classes I would recommend paying the fee and checking it out. You will learn alot and some of the things he can do on the big bike are crazy to see.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #28
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Too many to list, but my current ride is a 2014 Ducati Monster 1200.

It's a beautiful bike, but I'm going to find it a new home, and go back to the Japanese stuff. I've had a ton of issues with it, and wouldn't trust it on a ride longer than a few hundred kilometers within a reasonable flat deck range. It's a shame, Italian design is amazing, Italian engineering is horrid. It really killed my passion for riding, as it was in the shop so much with weird issues, and the thing only has 4800 kms on it.

Once I get off it, I'll hunt down the nicest 2007 Honda VFR anniversary available anywhere, and make it my ride for the next 20 years. They are simple the best all around motorcycle ever made. I've never done anything but change oil on any Honda I've every owned. Never had a major issue, never had fear of a long trip, and a=they have always had remarkable fit and finish.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #29
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Always wanted a red, 84 Honda Nighthawk and to do a course and write my exam. maybe this year is the year!
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did a little dirt track thing with them one day, and it was pretty cool. It had poured rain the night before, so the track was slick and that was a little scary, lol, but I managed to keep it upright and found it pretty enjoyable. It's not really my thing, but it was a fun day.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #31
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

I think the off road course was done through Blackfoot. But there is Off-road Adventure Academy as well.

You can call Anderwerks and they would know.

I’d be up for a Smith Dorian ride or something ...the backroad way to Canmore.

Last edited by Fozzie_DeBear; 02-26-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:18 PM   #32
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I did a little dirt track thing with them one day, and it was pretty cool. It had poured rain the night before, so the track was slick and that was a little scary, lol, but I managed to keep it upright and found it pretty enjoyable. It's not really my thing, but it was a fun day.
My off road track day was after a muddy spell had dried leaving epic ruts...at one point I got lost in the infield part of the track...that was soooo rutted with deep hard mud that was impossible to go more than a few meters before tipping like a drunk. I had to pickup the 700 lb bike at least a dozen times...that was awful. Bent the #### out of my rear brake lever.

Any epic road trips? Pics?

Old 02-26-2021, 11:30 PM   #33
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Current bike is an 04 GSXR 600. Haven't rode much last few years but maybe this year will be different. Prairie riding is just so dang boring.

And for Pylon;
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #34
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would anyone be interested in a 2 day ride next summer to Nakusp (covid permitting)? I've always wanted to go there, it isn't too far if you don't have a bike meant for long days and supposedly its one of the best rides in western Canada.

Whats everyone's best ride they've ever had? My favourite was on my old ninja which I rode to Penticton one year. I had the entire Mara Lake portion of highway 97 to myself, tight corners, lakeside, and the wonderful smell of forest the entire way. 2nd would be the needles highway in south Dakota, hoodoos everywhere, roads carved into the mountainside and dozens of switchbacks with a foothills setting.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #35
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rode down to Portland a few years ago and it was great. The Columbia River valley was just beautiful and I took a few rides on the old highway beside it as well. I did that trip as a solo ride and it was amazing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #36
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

If you guys dirtbike and haven't gotten studded tires, you missed out this year.

Wow was this winter a good one!

I've now ridden 12 of the last twelve months off road.

If you are on the fence about studded winter tires, don't be. It's so worth it.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #37
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Upgraded from a Ducati Monster 696 to a Harley Sportster 1200 last year. Last summer as a great time riding and really relieved a ton of the stress from the spring COVID lockdown.

I will probably do another summer on the Sportster, but will eventually be upgrading to a Street Bob.
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #38
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Whats everyone's best ride they've ever had? My favourite was on my old ninja which I rode to Penticton one year. I had the entire Mara Lake portion of highway 97 to myself, tight corners, lakeside, and the wonderful smell of forest the entire way. 2nd would be the needles highway in south Dakota, hoodoos everywhere, roads carved into the mountainside and dozens of switchbacks with a foothills setting.
I did Calgary to San Fran and back in 8 days on the GSXR, down the coast and back up more inland but through amazing areas like Lake Tahoe and Reno and stuff. Was a blast of a ride! 6700km total, 1.5 sets of tires, found some amazing tight roads, tons of crazy shenanigans and experiences. I was the only one who made it back on 2 wheels, running on 3 cylinders because if a toasted coilpack in the pouring rain because I had to bail a day early for work, my buddies rented a van in Lewiston and loaded up and drove back due to that weather and party/ride fatigue.

One of my favorite roads that I'd visited a few times over the years was called Yaak River Rd, basically from Eureka to Yaak. It's about 65miles of 25-25mph twisties in the mountains of near perfect pavement due to hardly being driven.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2021, 08:38 PM   #39
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
If you guys dirtbike and haven't gotten studded tires, you missed out this year.

Wow was this winter a good one!

I've now ridden 12 of the last twelve months off road.

If you are on the fence about studded winter tires, don't be. It's so worth it.

Winter riding has been awesome this year trellies are money well spent!
Old 03-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #40
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So my wife has given me the green light to get back onto 2 wheels this spring. I sold my street bike when we started having kids so I have taken about a 20 year hiatus. (I miss that machine 1982 Yamaha Seca 650) I have still dabbled in dirt bikes and rented street bikes on a couple trips so I feel like I should still be pretty competent out there.

Anyhow...I have been looking around and I think the adventure bikes look pretty interesting. Dont care for the bird beaks on them but I figure I may just have to overlook that part.

Any recommendations? My budget isnt super high. Would like to stay under 5K if possible but may be willing to stretch a little bit if that isnt reasonable.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote