Old 02-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default The Scream mystery solved?

I thought this was really interesting

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...dman-1.5922732

Quote:
t is a small, barely visible sentence written with a pencil on Edvard Munch's 1893 masterpiece The Scream.
The painting, which shows a waif-like figure cradling its head in its hands with its mouth agape, has become a global icon for the expression of human anxiety.
The sentence — "can only have been painted by a madman" — was scribbled in the top left-hand corner.
A curator at the new National Museum of Norway said the writing was compared to the painter's own scribbling in diaries and letters.
"The writing is without a doubt Munch's own," curator Mai Britt Guleng said in a statement Monday.

Quote:
It is likely that Munch added the inscription in 1895, or shortly after, in response to the judgment on his work," the statement read.
Munch was profoundly hurt by the accusations, returning to the incident again and again in letters and diary entries. Both his father and sister suffered bouts of depression, and Munch was finally hospitalized after a nervous breakdown in 1908, Guleng said.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't know this was a mystery - interesting. Thank you for sharing!
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

This is cool because some of the people I collaborate with in the Norwegian project in which I am involved have done a lot of the multi-spectral imaging work on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Found a picture of the inscription, from luxuo.com through a google search. It doesn't appear to be on the page right now, though.

psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Found a picture of the inscription, from luxuo.com through a google search. It doesn't appear to be on the page right now, though.

Yeah, I was in a workshop on Monday, and the people at Colorlab showed us a whole collection of MSI they had taken and produced of the inscription. They were able to make the writing appear crystal clear—it was very impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:45 AM   #6
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Wasn’t it Billy and Stu?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:18 AM   #7
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

The pencil inscription is on the first painted version of the composition, there are also two pastel versions, one of which sold for over $110 million dollars in 2012. There is a second painted version, done in 1910 as well as several prints which were made by Munch himself from a lithograph stone.

This version, with the pencil writing, was stolen in 1994 at the opening of the Olympics, but recovered a few months later. The 1910 painting was stolen in 2004 but eventually recovered in 2006.

A pictographic representation of the screaming face with hands on cheeks was considered by the US department of energy for long-term radioactive waste storage facilities, where the waste is expected to remain dangerous far longer than English will remain in use, and other forms of communication are considered necessary to warn people in the future away from the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
The pencil inscription is on the first painted version of the composition, there are also two pastel versions, one of which sold for over $110 million dollars in 2012. There is a second painted version, done in 1910 as well as several prints which were made by Munch himself from a lithograph stone.

This version, with the pencil writing, was stolen in 1994 at the opening of the Olympics, but recovered a few months later. The 1910 painting was stolen in 2004 but eventually recovered in 2006.

A pictographic representation of the screaming face with hands on cheeks was considered by the US department of energy for long-term radioactive waste storage facilities, where the waste is expected to remain dangerous far longer than English will remain in use, and other forms of communication are considered necessary to warn people in the future away from the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nuclear Semiotics

Great episode about it here:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-s...k-to-48236317/

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote