Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #241
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Lowry will be dealt, hopefully to Philly because I don't like anything the Heat or Clippers have, Sixers at least have some decent pieces.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364954535593193477
https://twitter.com/user/status/1364963302611255299
Old 02-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #242
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

See I had heard something involving Drummond, but that it would be a 3 team deal since the Cavs have no use for Lowry. I guess that could still be the case. That would make sense for the Raptors in terms of being at least a good team, if not a contender.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #243
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’d be happy for Lowry to get a move like this, and it makes a ton of sense for our future, but it will really suck to not have a proper send off for him with fans in the building.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #244
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Looks like Lowry will be dealt, hopefully to Philly because I don't like anything the Heat or Clippers have, Sixers at least have some decent pieces.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364954535593193477
https://twitter.com/user/status/1364963302611255299
That's the right move for Kyle. But devastating as a fan. Wish he coulda retired a Raptor!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #245
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe he can come back as an Assistant Coach
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #246
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Maybe he can come back as an Assistant Coach
No thanks. His whining on the court puts Gretzky to shame. Every god damn call.

Thanx for the ship though.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #247
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems pretty anticlimactic as a send off but what can you do in covid? I wasn’t a fan of his until the championship season where he seemed to put it together maturity wise. Yes he complained, but he didn’t let it throw him off after that season. If he had that his full career he’d be a HOF level player. It’s too bad but I’m sure as a player he’d prefer to go out this way. I’m sure the fans will make cheer when he’s back.

As for the deal, has anyone read who’d be coming back the other way? I’d think something close to a kings ransom as the Sixers would be itching to get him. I’m lost what would work cap wise though.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #248
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
No thanks. His whining on the court puts Gretzky to shame. Every god damn call.

Thanx for the ship though.
Kyle Lowry is probably one of the most decorated players currently in the game that recieves the least respect from Referees.

I would probably complain if I was him as well.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #249
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Seems pretty anticlimactic as a send off but what can you do in covid? I wasn’t a fan of his until the championship season where he seemed to put it together maturity wise. Yes he complained, but he didn’t let it throw him off after that season. If he had that his full career he’d be a HOF level player. It’s too bad but I’m sure as a player he’d prefer to go out this way. I’m sure the fans will make cheer when he’s back.

As for the deal, has anyone read who’d be coming back the other way? I’d think something close to a kings ransom as the Sixers would be itching to get him. I’m lost what would work cap wise though.
Will be interest when Lowry is eligible for the HOF

Lots of good articles and debates out there, but this is a decent summary

https://www.sportscasting.com/kyle-l...u-might-think/
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:13 PM   #250
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Well, they ARE still playing shorthanded most nights. They can't compete with any team at the 5

Baynes was a huge swing and miss. He should be a 12 min a night bench player. Boucher is awesome, but again, he can't compete with a mobile strong 5 and it really shows.

The team has to play balls to the wall to beat any complete team and some times the percentages arent going to go in their favour.

They can't keep starting every game on the PK simply because management is handcuffing them.

Either #### or get off the pot and get a legit center.
Almost couldn't tell if you were talking about the Raptors or the Flames there.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #251
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Lowry is the greatest Raptor in history.

Not sure what complaining has to do with anything, the guy is a legend and is a borderline HOF candidate. Tons of NBA stars complain, basically every single play Lebron has his hands up wondering where the call is, Embiid too, same with Harden, Kyrie too, MJ as well. It's pretty typical.

The guy also helped to bring an NBA championship to Toronto, that is incredible.

I loved watching him play as a Raptor, he can come back to TO in any capacity as far as
I'm concerned.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #252
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t believe Lowry would be a candidate for the HOF. I know this isn’t baseball standards but even by basketball standards that seems low. I’d just say this. Basketball is a sport where one guy can carry the team more or less single handedly. In any season did Lowry truly do that? I don’t think so. He was the lone spark at times but I don’t think he really put the team on his back especially early in his tenure. Again, I really like the guy the past few seasons but it took a long time to get there. Not a HOFer.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #253
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Fair enough. I don't think he's at the top of everyone's HOF list as he doesn't have that typical name recognition.

But just doing a quick little dive here are a few numbers (also remember he is not at the end of his career and is still putting up good numbers).

Right now he is 40th all time in assists, by the end of the season he will be probably around 36th. One more season he will be around top 30, maybe around Jerry West's total.

He is tied for 32nd in career triple doubles with 17, if by the end of his career he gets 4 more he will be tied with Kobe and Kareem for 23rd overall.

Advanced stats like Career Win Shares has him at 96th overall, grouped with players like Vlade Divac, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady, Lenny Wilkens and Grant Hill. All HOFers.

Like I said, I think he is borderline.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #254
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Fair enough. I don't think he's at the top of everyone's HOF list as he doesn't have that typical name recognition.

But just doing a quick little dive here are a few numbers (also remember he is not at the end of his career and is still putting up good numbers).

Right now he is 40th all time in assists, by the end of the season he will be probably around 36th. One more season he will be around top 30, maybe around Jerry West's total.

He is tied for 32nd in career triple doubles with 17, if by the end of his career he gets 4 more he will be tied with Kobe and Kareem for 23rd overall.

Advanced stats like Career Win Shares has him at 96th overall, grouped with players like Vlade Divac, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady, Lenny Wilkens and Grant Hill. All HOFers.

Like I said, I think he is borderline.
The thing is, all the above numbers plus a championship shows it not borderline, its a sure thing. Advanced stats also really support how good Lowry is/has been, and the new generation loves advanced stats.

By almost any statistical measure he is a top 100 player of all time. And he has a few years left. By the end of his career I think he is a sure fire HOF. Maybe not first ballet, but he will be there.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #255
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lowry will be a HOFer I think, if he adds another ring in Philly or wherever then it'll be a no doubter. But his resume is pretty strong overall, even in the strongest era of PGs ever he still managed to be consistently in the top five or so for a five year period.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #256
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is going to go right down to the trade deadline and I'm not looking forward to a full month of Lowry rumours.

That said, I imagine that Lowry's preference is firstly to stay with the Raptors and get resigned in the offseason, or secondly get traded to Philly and get resigned there in the offseason. He might go as far as telling Masai, either plan on bringing him back on a fair contract, or trade him to Philly now. And Masai and Webster might want to wait until closer to the deadline to try and get a long-term read on the team. Maybe they want to get more of a read on whether a FVV+Powell+Anunoby+Siakam core is good enough going forward, in which case a trade for a C makes a lot of sense.

The thing he wants to avoid is going into the offseason with the Raptors still holding his bird rights and not planning on bringing him back (or his bird-rights traded to a team he doesn't want to play for).
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #257
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nurse and 5 coaches out due to Health and Safety protocol

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/2122558
Old 02-26-2021, 04:21 PM   #258
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Siakam out too.

Sergio Scarlioni is in as coach (as long as another team doesn't poach him before game-time), he was quarantining after returning from coaching the Spanish national team.

Gonna be a weird one.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #259
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

NBA postpones Sunday’s Raptors-Bulls game due to positive COVID-19 results

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/nba-pos...tocols/sn-amp/

Tonight’s Toronto Raptors game against Chicago has been postponed due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols.

A statement from the NBA says that because of positive test results and ongoing contract tracing, the Raptors don’t have the league-required eight available players.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366055808665018370
Old 02-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #260
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeesh. Sounds like Nurse. I wonder what the percentage of pro athletes get it compared to the general population. The obvious reason is players are closer to one another so if one gets it, many get it, but I wonder about the original person prior to everyone else contracting it, if you look at that as the originator if these guys are much more sociable out of the arena leading to more positive tests? Seems like pro athletes are getting it an alarming rate.

Tags
#crapforcade , #suckforsuggs , jurassic bay