Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #21
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

“The NHL would like to thank Edmonton for hosting games in these trying times. The entire pacific division is now addicted to meth water and teeming with syphilis...but no Coronavirus!”

- the future
Old 04-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #22
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Focus should be on figuring out the logistics of 20-21 and if it can happen in some shortened manner. Any time spent examining this season is wasted.
WWE already hosting live events. UFC likely to start in May. Now unlike the NHL, these two organizations are run by carnies but they are effectively canaries for resuming sports in general
Old 04-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #23
standinmotion
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From a general hockey fan perspective, I'm for finishing the season. The teams have put in a lot of hard work up to mid March, it'd be unfair for the teams to waive off their efforts.

From a Flames fan, I don't like our chance, but c'est la vie. This season will always have an asterisk next to it, regardless of what will transpire next.
The Following User Says Thank You to standinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #24
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Kill it. Momentum has stopped, let the players rehab and set an example. Come back fresh and with social distancing upgrades figured out in the stadium experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #25
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The negative club on here loves these threads. "Oh, are people getting hope? We better squash that right now quickly!"
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #26
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

People will be negative, but once it happens it will be like christmas morning. just look at this site when rookie camp rolls around.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #27
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Every day there is a plan for a league to start and by the end of the next day its shuttered.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #28
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've admittedly scoffed at those who've suggested online that you could have any sort of fan attendance at anything in the next few months. Disregarding the fact that keeping people 6ft apart (say two to three seats) would be a rubbish fan experience, I very much doubt you could maintain social distancing getting everyone into their seats.

I'm for just finishing it up in super quick time, provided it can be done safely. That way, the oilers will poop the bed and we won't have to hear about theoretical "we would have won" BS for the next ten years. If it can't be done safely, let the mascots do a royal rumble for the cup.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #29
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The negative club on here loves these threads. "Oh, are people getting hope? We better squash that right now quickly!"
And the positive club likes to call out the negative club as a defense instead of providing reasons for why it should proceed.

Why should it proceed? Sentimental value?
Old 04-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #30
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Seems like I am in the minority but would love this. Something to look forward to in the evenings and take everyone's mind off the Pandemic a bit.

Just bought a projector and watching a game in the backyard while BBQ'n sounds awesome.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #31
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I’d rather watch hockey than not watch hockey, but this season will always have a big asterisk beside it regardless of how they decide to proceed.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #32
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
And the positive club likes to call out the negative club as a defense instead of providing reasons for why it should proceed.

No, it should proceed so we can finish the season. I mean if you don't want hockey to resume why the hell do you even bother to follow the team at all? I don't get it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #33
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

It seems the NHL and PA are desperate to finish the season. Not doing so probably devastates the revenue sharing and escrow, which would have a huge impact on the cap numbers for next year and then some.

There's no ideal solution unfortunately.

But I'll gladly watch whatever solution they come to.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #34
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
No, it should proceed so we can finish the season. I mean if you don't want hockey to resume why the hell do you even bother to follow the team at all? I don't get it.
Why do we need to finish the season? Personal satisfaction?

Would rather we sort through our social pandemonium before a recreational hockey league starts up. That's my opinion.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #35
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

God this Pandemic is already the worst.

If anything giving people something to look forward to would be huge.

Or I guess we can just watch endless news all summer.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #36
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I mean if you don't want hockey to resume why the hell do you even bother to follow the team at all? I don't get it.
We want hockey to resume. Just not this summer.

Some gimmicky summer tournament has no interest for me, and cheapens what the Stanley Cup represents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #37
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why shouldn't it? They are talking about the possibility of making a very unusual plan to perhaps get going in July, which last I checked is still months away. They aren't saying they'll be back playing to full arenas next week.

Basically every business/sector in the world is trying to figure out strategies to move forward with life, yet we expect sports to just sit by idly because some people are weirdly offended that they are even thinking about a return?

I hope they figure out something that works, just like I hope we all figure out something that works. Why is it so offensive that people/companies are trying to adapt to a new reality?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #38
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Why would you need to "get going" in July when training camp starts for the next season in September? It's basically less than 60 days difference between rushing a product and preparing for the normal course of a season.

Keep in mind half the league would have teams already playing golf by now, we are in the normal timeframe for no hockey at this point. Do we really need to re-coup a season that has been seriously stunted?
Old 04-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #39
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
We want hockey to resume. Just not this summer.

Some gimmicky summer tournament has no interest for me, and cheapens what the Stanley Cup represents.
As a one time solution I don't think it is an issue. The NHL is pretty much already a year round league. at least it feels like it. If they restart it in the summer there will be interest.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #40
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would you need to "get going" in July when training camp starts for the next season in September? It's basically less than 60 days difference between rushing a product and preparing for the normal course of a season.

Keep in mind half the league would have teams already playing golf by now, we are in the normal timeframe for no hockey at this point. Do we really need to re-coup a season that has been seriously stunted?
Who says that the training camps will start in September. That will certainly be pushed back.
Closed Thread