Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #1601
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
And then what? I mean, it doesn't really matter how long he serves, his life is over. He's f&^%$#.
I laughed when I saw his wife had filed for divorce and possession of the two houses, get in before the law suit wipes out everything they own
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #1602
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the New York Times website, they broke down the entire episode from all the different security and cell phone cameras.

I'm unclear about a few things after I saw it. This whole episode is so saddening, maddening and just doesn't make any sense.

1. It may be just the portions that I saw, but is anyone holding the EMTs accountable? Chauvin still had his knee on his neck for about a minute after the ambulance arrived. It looked like Chauvin took his knee off his neck, the EMTs put him on the stretcher and drove away. I didn't see any attempt at CPR as soon as they got there. No urgency at all to try and save him.

2. Does anyone know the timeline of how long the cops were on the scene? After the ambulance left a fire truck pulled up. The cops just waived it off and away it went. After that, it seemed like the police just drove away after a few minutes. Were they actually around for longer than it appeared?

3. Has there been an interview with the store staff that called the police on him? I haven't found anything. I'm curious to hear their thoughts about what has happened since then.

4. This is just an observation, and a moot one at that. The staff called the police on him for a counterfeit bill. He was still sitting in his car across the street and the cops showed up. I didn't see the timeline, but if he knowingly used the bill, don't you think he would have drove away instead of just staying parked there?
Old 06-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #1603
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
And then what? I mean, it doesn't really matter how long he serves, his life is over. He's f&^%$#.
Yeah I mean I'm not saying his life is awesome at any stage of this regardless of the sentence. I'm just speaking to public perception which is what predicates the severity of protests after the fact. People are furious, as we know... there was OUTRAGE when first-degree murder charges didn't come down but we in this thread are a bit more rational and know why that was not the case.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #1604
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Powerful words from the former Illinois resident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Old 06-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #1605
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Powerful words from the former Illinois resident.
waiting on comments from former Arkansas resident
Old 06-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #1606
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Fort Lauderdale patrol officer who inflamed a tense demonstration on Sunday, knocking over a seated protester just before a peaceful protest against police abuse turned violent, has been reviewed by internal affairs for using force 79 times in his roughly three-and-half years on the force, according to department records.
lol k

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...243234261.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 07:33 PM   #1607
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Has there been an interview with the store staff that called the police on him? I haven't found anything. I'm curious to hear their thoughts about what has happened since then.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...lar-nr-vpx.cnn
Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #1608
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

American Civil Liberties Union files lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis claiming it’s police tactics are infringing on The press

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/b...nneapolis.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #1609
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
On the New York Times website, they broke down the entire episode from all the different security and cell phone cameras.

I'm unclear about a few things after I saw it. This whole episode is so saddening, maddening and just doesn't make any sense.

1. It may be just the portions that I saw, but is anyone holding the EMTs accountable? Chauvin still had his knee on his neck for about a minute after the ambulance arrived. It looked like Chauvin took his knee off his neck, the EMTs put him on the stretcher and drove away. I didn't see any attempt at CPR as soon as they got there. No urgency at all to try and save him.

Just my personal experience, and a rant I’ve been on before, but Calgary Police have only ever been nice to me.

EMTs on the other hand have been worse than scum each of the 3 or 4 times I’ve had to dial 911 due to a medical emergency. This is over the course of about 10 years in Calgary and most cases I was the innocent bystander who dialled 911, helped the victim and then watched as EMTs showed up and were straight up abusive to the victims. Who by the way included a man who had just had a seizure for the first time in his life (they told me I was an idiot for correctly diagnosing that he had a seizure. Then they interrogated him for 20 minutes accusing him of being drunk/high despite a rather serious head injury from his fall), were weirdly abusive towards an old man who had a serious fall and was bleeding profusely from his face (and was on blood thinners, again I was told to shut up for mentioning it to them) and finally when I was assaulted and bleeding in the streets (literally), I asked the EMT to treat my wounds, they refused, threatened me with violence for wasting their time, took me to the hospital where they continued to loudly berate me for getting my ass beat in the middle of the night when I was the victim of a random beating. Oh yeah and then I got like 15 stitches in two places on my face.

So yeah, #### EMTs.

/rant
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #1610
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I wouldn't want to be the DA who takes the heat for making that offer. I doubt the cop could offer anything to make it worthwhile.
Plea deals aren't always about offering something, in fact more often than not they are about guaranteeing the guilty conviction because anything can happen when it goes to jury, jurors are always a wildcard. So, DAs will offer deals to try to ensure it never goes to court.

They also use plea deals to manipulate people they have arrested that have poor representation to plead guilty when they aren't, especially those without money for effective representation. it is not uncommon for public defenders to convince their clients claiming innocence to take a plea deal under the pretense of a shorter sentence being better than being found guilty in court.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #1611
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Plea deals aren't always about offering something, in fact more often than not they are about guaranteeing the guilty conviction because anything can happen when it goes to jury, jurors are always a wildcard. So, DAs will offer deals to try to ensure it never goes to court.
If you're the DA, and you offer a plea, you're immediately in hot water. If you want re-election, it's a black mark for you. Take it to trial, and even if he gets off somehow, and at least you can blame the judge/jury.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #1612
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Just my personal experience, and a rant I’ve been on before, but Calgary Police have only ever been nice to me.

EMTs on the other hand have been worse than scum each of the 3 or 4 times I’ve had to dial 911 due to a medical emergency. This is over the course of about 10 years in Calgary and most cases I was the innocent bystander who dialled 911, helped the victim and then watched as EMTs showed up and were straight up abusive to the victims. Who by the way included a man who had just had a seizure for the first time in his life (they told me I was an idiot for correctly diagnosing that he had a seizure. Then they interrogated him for 20 minutes accusing him of being drunk/high despite a rather serious head injury from his fall), were weirdly abusive towards an old man who had a serious fall and was bleeding profusely from his face (and was on blood thinners, again I was told to shut up for mentioning it to them) and finally when I was assaulted and bleeding in the streets (literally), I asked the EMT to treat my wounds, they refused, threatened me with violence for wasting their time, took me to the hospital where they continued to loudly berate me for getting my ass beat in the middle of the night when I was the victim of a random beating. Oh yeah and then I got like 15 stitches in two places on my face.

So yeah, #### EMTs.

/rant

Interesting you say that, and when I posted that, I completely didn't think of my wife's experience with them.

I haven't had to deal with any, but my wife is an RN who has had to dealt with them for over 30 years. Her experiences have always been negative because they treat everyone else like they are incapable idiots. I asked her again and she said she could probably count good experiences with them on one hand.

A former colleague of mine was a volunteer fireperson in rural Alberta, and she has two sons that are both EMTs. I told her about my wife's experiences and to my shock she totally agreed with her. I think she said they refer to themselves as 'paragods' or something like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #1613
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I laughed when I saw his wife had filed for divorce and possession of the two houses, get in before the law suit wipes out everything they own
Hold on a minute. Could this not be a nefarious ploy, to retain his (their) assets in the event of civil suits?
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #1614
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Hold on a minute. Could this not be a nefarious ploy, to retain his (their) assets in the event of civil suits?
Why perish the thought!
Old 06-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #1615
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
JFC, just so evident it’s an institutional problem.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #1616
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Honestly I'm just straight up impressed. Once per paycheque.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #1617
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The part where he's drawn his firearm at least once a month seem ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #1618
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The part where he's drawn his firearm at least once a month seem ridiculous.
Clearly he's just in a constant state of being in fear of his life
Old 06-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #1619
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting you say that, and when I posted that, I completely didn't think of my wife's experience with them.

I haven't had to deal with any, but my wife is an RN who has had to dealt with them for over 30 years. Her experiences have always been negative because they treat everyone else like they are incapable idiots. I asked her again and she said she could probably count good experiences with them on one hand.

A former colleague of mine was a volunteer fireperson in rural Alberta, and she has two sons that are both EMTs. I told her about my wife's experiences and to my shock she totally agreed with her. I think she said they refer to themselves as 'paragods' or something like that.
Like many things it depends on the EMTs. I've had an ambulance come for both mine or my girlfriends parents on three occasions, and they were literally the nicest people I've ever met in my life. Professional, understanding and efficient.

The one time that they had to come for me, it was for a head injury that I never fully recovered from (nothing horrible, but noticeable to me), and the flashes of memory I have, they were definitely being dicks. On the other hand, when the police took my statement a few days later, they were pretty patient when I couldn't remember my middle name, or how to spell properly.

Back in the day, concussions weren't really taken that seriously!

I'd like to think that the good outweighs the bad in all of these professions, but the bad has just been given the room to exist. And protected.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:23 PM   #1620
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The only time I've been in an ambulance (as a patient) it turned out to be a panic attack but I felt like I was going to die. I told them my hands felt numb and one of the EMTs was like, "Oh yeah, wait until they cramp and curl up like a claw." JFK I'm having a panic episode and you're freaking me out!
Closed Thread