Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #181
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Booked a second interview for a Contracting gig on Thursday, the money isn't huge but it would be enough.

I'd be developing a sales and marketing plan for a startup tech company, so it could be an interesting role, and it would be both internal consulting to the company and external consulting to their clients.

Its something and could be strategically interesting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #182
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
https://commerce.financialpost.com/s...fQAE&scsonar=1

Its $50.00 for the whole course and well worth it, the lectures are really good and the teaching is relaxed. There's also a prep course for the certification test as well. From my understanding the test itself is about $500.00

There are a ton of courses for sale right now through the financial post from marketing to book keeping stuff etc and they're all reasonable.

https://business.financialpost.com/p...paign=taxguide

Just a quick "Thanks" for the info. Will start looking into these. $50 seems like a decent deal... if it actually results in something. Turns out I now have a lot more time on my hands so maybe I should do something useful with it.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #183
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's a ton of inexpensive courses on the stackskills site, I get a course offering every day.

There's an ethical hacking course that I'm interested in.

There's a bunch of marketing techcourses.

I think the project management course is really good. Its pretty indepth and really grinds you through the whole process and the Jira management software.

I figured its good to keep my mind busy, plus as I complete courses within the course I get certifications added onto my linkedin account and throw them on my resume which makes me look like I'm doing something while I look for work.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #184
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stupid question, if you are still within a probationary period at a new gig, are you covered under EI?

Looking at resigning from my cushy, decent paying job for a new opportunity, but given the economic climate I need to ensure I’d things take a turn I have some sort of protection.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #185
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

How long have you been there?

Old 06-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #186
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think the eligibility is somewhere between 400 and 700 hours.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #187
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I was thinking, that if any of us that are looking for work, wants to post what they're looking for here, that we can share leads and postings that might match what your looking for. More eyes = better

Old 06-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #188
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There's a ton of inexpensive courses on the stackskills site, I get a course offering every day.

There's an ethical hacking course that I'm interested in.

There's a bunch of marketing techcourses.

I think the project management course is really good. Its pretty indepth and really grinds you through the whole process and the Jira management software.

I figured its good to keep my mind busy, plus as I complete courses within the course I get certifications added onto my linkedin account and throw them on my resume which makes me look like I'm doing something while I look for work.

I'll take another look at the course offerings. Much appreciated, as well as your posted updates. If nothing else they're entertaining and good to know that there are others also being challenged similarly. Good entertainment is hard to find and the stuff here on CP is significantly better than FB.

Courses not posted:
Unethical hacking
How to profit from Dark Web
You too can be a conspiracy theorist
Short course on Trudeau's ethicacy
How to post to CP and get roasted
How to post to CP and get zero responses

Any others?
Old 06-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #189
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I was thinking, that if any of us that are looking for work, wants to post what they're looking for here, that we can share leads and postings that might match what your looking for. More eyes = better
I'm just getting back into the full swing of looking for a new job and sending out my resume everywhere. My last position ended at the end of March and I have actually been in school since the beginning of March and graduating in July. So I'm hoping to line up a good working opportunity for July or August or September.

I'm an oil and gas exploration Geologist but I'm not expecting work in that field to come around ever again. My new line of work that I have been studying for is in data analytics and business intelligence. I'm looking for anything that is entry level in that field. I've actually seen quite a few interesting postings over the last week and half in Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver/Victoria and out east. So far, I have applied for about two dozen positions in that time. If anyone wants to take a chance on a failed Geologist looking for a new career let me know.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #190
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
How long have you been there?
Current employer - about 6.5 years. Haven't actually handed in my notice or anything yet.

In terms of looking: I'm looking to maybe start a new apprenticeship with a quality company in a technical, intelligent and hands on trade with real career potential. I have it narrowed down to three different trades, and I have a red seal and 10+ years of experience in my field, on the tools and in the office.
Complex diagnosis and problem solving, applied technical knowledge and a diverse skill set are what I hope to continue to develop within said trade.

Or, if anyone knows how to get into a chemistry type job, without a science degree, I'm all ears!
Old 06-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #191
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm just getting back into the full swing of looking for a new job and sending out my resume everywhere. My last position ended at the end of March and I have actually been in school since the beginning of March and graduating in July. So I'm hoping to line up a good working opportunity for July or August or September.

I'm an oil and gas exploration Geologist but I'm not expecting work in that field to come around ever again. My new line of work that I have been studying for is in data analytics and business intelligence. I'm looking for anything that is entry level in that field. I've actually seen quite a few interesting postings over the last week and half in Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver/Victoria and out east. So far, I have applied for about two dozen positions in that time. If anyone wants to take a chance on a failed Geologist looking for a new career let me know.
Good luck with your new field from one ex-geologist to another (although you actually worked in the field, I did not). And you were only a failed geologist if you drilled dry holes!!!
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #192
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was laid off but got a gig doing some work for my old company as a independent contractor through my own sole prop for at least 3 months... how does this work with EI/CERB? Anyone know, a bit confused what to write in for my next report. I am technically not employed, I don't know, haven't been in this situation before.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #193
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...iA4mzktbdbuQIC

Old 06-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #194
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had a meeting with our GM on Monday. My lay off has been extended to the 120 day mark and he said they aren’t counting on bringing back those of us that are laid off, of the 40 plus who were laid off only 4 have returned to the whole dealership. Business is down about 30% and they are running with a skeleton sales crew as there’s no immediate hope for a turn around. I have been making some money on the side shuttling vehicles for the auto group but it looks like it’s resume writing time.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-03-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #195
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm hearing this from a lot of friends that those temporary layoffs are going permanent.

With the Covid pandemic and the already poor economy before hand and the energy sector stuff a lot of businesses are just going to shutter.

Like I said before, when everything is calculated I wouldn't be surprised if Alberta ends up with 1 our 4 people not working.

Its really tough out there, when I'm applying for jobs its against a lot of people so even interviews are tough to come by, its definitely a employers market out there.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #196
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I do a update to my LinkedIn profile... basically saying Hey I'm Looking for a New Job at SomeCompany Like Yours. I can understand people simply clicking the "like button" as a means to show support... but those that go further to click "Congratulations" or "Good luck" really GMG. Not sure this belongs in this JobSeekers thread or the GMG thread.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #197
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, sometimes people just blindly click on things on Linkedin just to increase their profile.

"I lost my job" click "Congratulations"

WTF.

Anyways had my second interview today, I think it went well, except that maybe I'm too analytical and not enough rah rah for the role, but I'm really intrigued by what they're doing and what they want to do and I hope I hear back from them in the next week or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #198
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, sometimes people just blindly click on things on Linkedin just to increase their profile.

"I lost my job" click "Congratulations"

WTF.

Anyways had my second interview today, I think it went well, except that maybe I'm too analytical and not enough rah rah for the role, but I'm really intrigued by what they're doing and what they want to do and I hope I hear back from them in the next week or so.

you're getting interviews which is awesome. Don't be afraid at the end of the interview to say "I want this job - I'm super energized and keen and can hit the ground running!!". Show that interest. And of course don't forget the thank-you note/letter after along with a commitment you will call them within a week. Then do it.

best o luck to you. it's been a journey... an mine is just starting. again.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #199
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Man the new normal for me is hard to get used to from a job search perspective, and I was just doing recruiting a couple of months ago. The shift is entirely to employer empowered, its a buyers market with so many people out of work.

In the past I've never basically had to do pre interview through email. but it seems to be standard now.

I had one of the position execs reach out and it was almost like he didn't read my resume or cover letter but looked at whatever marking was assigned by the Applicant tracking system because he wanted to ask questions on my Business Development vs Account Management skills that I'm strong on both, I'm fine with basically writing essay answers, I guess it shows business communication skills, but I feel like job searches are more like RFI's and proposal theory then interview theory.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #200
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bump, just an update.

I've applied for a lot of roles, I've been rejected for quite a few. Haven't heard back on a bunch more that haven't even been reviewed (Thanks Indeed).

Where I'm at.

I talked to a tech incubator a couple of weeks back, he stated that he was going to have a decision this week on which way he's going. I haven't heard back, but pinged him this morning. My battered confidence has told me that I probably didn't get it. I can live with that.

I applied with a large software/knowledge base company late last week, had the first interview with HR last week, had a second interview last night and he told me to get back to him with a confirmation that I'm interested in going forward, which I'm going to do, its a cool product, a pretty well known company, but the process is going to be long (multiple interviews and homework, its the way of the world now). But I might as well see where it goes

I applied for a role in Vancouver yesterday, and they got back to me right away and asked me to do a exercise in terms of client interaction and how I would handle scenarios. I just finished the excercise and submitted it, so we'll see. My only concern is its a move to Vancouver, which concerns me because of some personal situations, but a job is a job.

I sent my resume into a company for a free evaluation, and they gave me some feedback, I had too many details in mine, and it didn't look pretty, so I've changed my resume, removed a lot of specific information, and removed any jobs prior to 2007. I also changed my cover letter format to be prettier. We'll see how that works out.

Not giving up yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: