Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #2101
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Ktrain, what model of the gopro are you using? also, what are the settings for the filming?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #2102
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Ktrain, what model of the gopro are you using? also, what are the settings for the filming?
I have a GoPro Hero5 Session. 3 years old or so. It's 4K, but I typically only film in 1080p because my old computer couldn't handle the 4K. I might switch back since I've recently updated but I also only post to Instagram/Twitter/here so 4K seems like a waste with their compression.

As for settings, it's mostly just the defaults. 1080p. 60 FPS. Stabilization is on. Wide view.

I like it because it's light and compact. Downside is that it has no screen to view the footage so you have to use your phone/tablet to see what you've actually shot afterwards.

I also have the Wahoo + GoPro mount so it sits below my cycling computer. Which also doubles as a headlight mount if you want.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #2103
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

well almost got taken out today by an older aggressive delivery guy. sigh...

was on a quiet residential area... approaching a stop sign (it was about 50m in front of me), I did my shoulder check and noted a white van about 75m back, I stuck my arm out to indicate I was turning left. He guns it. literally 5-10m from the stop sign he's now right next to me (on my left)... however I am in the left turn lane. He then pulls across into me (ie from my left towards my right). So I pound the rear right panel of his van and sure he hops out to yell at me saying I was in the wrong... sigh... I'm like dude you could have killed me, plus I had indicated well before here, and held my lane and had legal right of way. YOUR WRONG YOUR WRONG ETC... Ok sir... have a good day. I'm super annoyed... especially since my teenage kid is with me (at least they had the sense to back off well before this). So I explain what happened... by now I hope the guy has found the dent in his side panel (which was necessary given I was saving my own life and making him aware of a potentially fatal and illegal right turn). Somehow I do not expect him to have understood his rage issue, nor multiple illegal behaviors, nor have any remorse (except that panel). My only regret being I didn't get the name of him, the company, license, or phone numbers.

rant over.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #2104
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

yesterday after work (while i was napping on my deck) i decided after dinner that i was going to head out for a spin after dinner (we had BBQ burgers for dinner so the first 20m of the ride seemed all uphill and into the wind).

i left my place in new brighton (73rd best neighborhood in calgary) and headed south towards cranston (#72). I knew my ride would have two decent climbs; however, i felt i would have the wind to push me home. Of course at the return point the wind seemed to shift and it made the ride home more difficult. A couple of observations on my ride:
. wow, there are a lot of really nice home in riverstone in cranston, what a great location close to the river
. the climbs both up and down are nice workouts. took me roughly 6 min to climb from riverstone up tot eh pathway behind cranston

i then got on some construction road in cranston, followed it underneath the hiway 2 overpass, and the road turned into a bit of a goat path, but i kept going and portaged a couple of times over some river rock and wound up on the shores of the bow. some real nice scenery back there, and it would be awesome if somhow a nice river trail of crushed gravel could be developed along the river for 20 or so k.

Got a couple of great photos but this one i thought turned out nicely: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVQFYcSkmtKiZNmo8 (for whatever reason i can't figure out how to embed the photo

Last edited by Northendzone; 08-25-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #2105
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
yesterday after work (while i was napping on my deck) i decided after dinner that i was going to head out for a spin after dinner (we had BBQ burgers for dinner so the first 20m of the ride seemed all uphill and into the wind).

i left my place in new brighton (73rd best neighborhood in calgary) and headed south towards cranston (#72). I knew my ride would have two decent climbs; however, i felt i would have the wind to push me home. Of course at the return point the wind seemed to shift and it made the ride home more difficult. A couple of observations on my ride:
. wow, there are a lot of really nice home in riverstone in cranston, what a great location close to the river
. the climbs both up and down are nice workouts. took me roughly 6 min to climb from riverstone up tot eh pathway behind cranston

i then got on some construction road in cranston, followed it underneath the hiway 2 overpass, and the road turned into a bit of a goat path, but i kept going and portaged a couple of times over some river rock and wound up on the shores of the bow. some real nice scenery back there, and it would be awesome if somhow a nice river trail of crushed gravel could be developed along the river for 20 or so k.

Got a couple of great photos but this one i thought turned out nicely: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVQFYcSkmtKiZNmo8 (for whatever reason i can't figure out how to embed the photo
Spoiler!
Old 08-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #2106
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ nice - how did you do that?
Old 08-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #2107
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ nice - how did you do that?
Click the picture enough and you get the URL of the image that you can copy.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #2108
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

hhhmm, could be a rough day ahead for me as i am still not getting how you embedded my photo from my link
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #2109
kermitology

Exp:

Clicked on your link, then clicked the photo, then right clicked the image in the page that loaded and copied the image link:

This is the link to the photo detail page:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...c3OG4ybHVVc01R
Old 08-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #2110
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was able to knock off work early and Just got back from a 50k spin to chestermere. Not many afternoons where the wind in this calm
Old 08-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #2111
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don’t think I’ve been stung by an insect in the last 20 years. Now that I’m riding more often, mostly along the rivers, I’ve been stung three times in the last three weeks. Probably wasps. Is this a common problem for cyclists?

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...le-bike-riding
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #2112
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife got stung on her eyelid up on nose hill a couple week ago. I'm no sure I ever remember getting stung riding.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #2113
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

A couple years back when I was wheezing up a hill near Silver Springs a wasp stung the inside of my mouth cheek. My old buddies folks lived about a block away which was great when I showed up begging for the strongest antihistamine, ground up two into paste and combined slathered it on and drank it then said please call my wife and watch me and hopefully I don’t have to use my epipen. Why?

Cos about 15 years back a wasp flew up my nostril when mtb’ing in Fernie. Friends too me immediately to Superstore when pharmacist grabbed a bottle of Benedryl and said drink this, all of it, now. Seemed to work but whooowee a whole bottle sure stones ya. My face was swollen huge and completely numb for a week. Yeah and then I went for major allergy testing...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #2114
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was about 13 kms from the end of the 160 km Valley GranFondo in 2018 when I felt a rock hit my leg, somewhere around the ankle. A minute later it was still hurting. I looked down and it was a wasp. It's stinger had gotten stuck in me so it kept stinging trying to get it out. I used my hand to brush it off but the stinger stayed in me. My ankle swelled up to a softball sized lump. I don't know if it landed on me and stung me or we just collided and it got stuck in my leg from the impact. Either way, I did not enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #2115
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I was about 13 kms from the end of the 160 km Valley GranFondo in 2018 when I felt a rock hit my leg, somewhere around the ankle. A minute later it was still hurting. I looked down and it was a wasp. It's stinger had gotten stuck in me so it kept stinging trying to get it out. I used my hand to brush it off but the stinger stayed in me. My ankle swelled up to a softball sized lump. I don't know if it landed on me and stung me or we just collided and it got stuck in my leg from the impact. Either way, I did not enjoy it.

if you'd enjoyed it I'm sure there are special jobs for people who do. Kinda like the mosquito bite / DEET testers.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #2116
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure I've only been stung twice (maybe thrice) in my life...once was on a bike.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #2117
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

I'm in the market to buy a new helmet

Can anyone recommend me one? Budget of $100 or less

Someone suggested the Exclusky BGO, but it looks pretty clunky

Last edited by Pizza; 08-30-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #2118
kermitology

Exp:

I haven’t been stung in the bike at all, but there are so many ####ing wasps everywhere. I got stung earlier this year on the ankle after walking through the clover in our backyard setting up the kids trambampoline, my wife got stung picking a strawberry in our garden and my daughter got stung on the tongue after one of those little Corey Perry mother ####ers was hiding in the straw of her smoothie.

#### wasps.

I rode 40km on a long tail free radical cargo bike this afternoon. I need one of these in electric and a step through.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #2119
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

How do your girls like riding on the back of the cargo bike, Kermitology? Mine is a couple years away from riding along with me, but I'm already looking at options.

As for wasps, they're probably on my would-render-extinct-if-I-could list, second only to ticks. I've been lucky on the bike (had a bee trapped in my helmet once, but he was cool), but probably have been stung about 20 times in other settings.

Every time it happens, I'm amazed how painful it is.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:01 AM   #2120
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Did a ride out to Red Rock Canyon in Waterton this morning. It’s a gorgeous road that’s closed to cars on Wednesdays from 8am to noon. I missed that but went up at 7am this morning and no cars passed me on the way in but saw a few as I was heading back. It’s an amazing stretch of road that was recently paved.

It’s 27km out and back with a little over 400m of climbing (36km total from the hotel and back). I brought my road bike but there are lots of rental places in town with ebikes and mountain bikes.

There’s also a path from Waterton to get you to the road.
Thanks for posting this KTrain - couple questions:
Is the highway closed on Wednesdays for cyclists or some other reason I should know about?

Second - is the path you take beginning where the Red Rock parkway begins
just off Hwy 5 I think it is? Then you just ride to the end where the parking lot is and then head back?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote