Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #2081
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He said closing the Johnston Canyon parking lot but adding shuttle services (and also keeping the road open one way for vehicles). I don't see what the problem is with his proposal since shuttle services already exist in other busy areas (i.e. Moraine during larch season). I agree that there is a lot of road to make use of, so it's definitely possible to find a solution which shares infrastructure between pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #2082
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just think that if you're closing that parking lot and making it so access is just through shuttles, that will cut the actual traffic to that site (and some of the businesses there, like the restaurant) in half. People are going to be much less likely to park in Banff and take a shuttle than drive, unless they're already in Banff. But maybe people think it's too crowded as is and could use a bit less traffic, I don't know.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 08-18-2020 at 12:21 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #2083
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the canal pathway was built with pretty decent foresight, it is not the prettiest ride, but gives a nice option to riding just on the road.

the one part i find annoying though is the gates at the glenmore underpass - really awkward to negotiate. would be nice is there was another option; however, i understand why they are there.

i like to mix it up a bit and ride right out 114th, then turn left at the stop sign and work my way into the back part of chestermere by turning left again at the school. this is a about a 60k ride from my house in new brighton, the traffic on these two roads is somewhat light and it makes for long stretches of spinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I like the canal because it's close and it's pretty much empty. Nice to not have to dismount or stop to cross a road for 70ish km (yeah, there's a spot or two along the way but the odds of you stopping are low)
Old 08-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #2084
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's literally what the thing GGG quoted and referred to as the "correct answer that everyone should just copy and paste into the survey" says.
Sorry, missed that part. I don't agree they need to close that lot, through it is absolutely overcrowded, so if you make every take a bus, and 30% fewer people show up, well, it's probably better that way. Typical of government though, they just spent a load of money paving the parking lot, adding that traffic circle etc.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #2085
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, or I would get booed out of this thread, but I want to ask for opinions on e-bike conversion kits. Anyone have tried it? Are they actually good or just gimmick? Any recommendations - I am looking into acquiring a cheap kit to maybe convert an old bike that I have, and I don't think I would go out and purchase a full e-bike. Thanks
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #2086
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's actually better than Banff-Canmore. Most of the time you are in the forest, so no road anywhere near you. It is well paved the whole way. Bonus is that hardly anyone is on it. The only negative is you gain quite a bit of elevation. I recommend starting in Cranbrook, so you do the bigger climbs halfway through your ride, not at the end. It's not a horrible climb, so depends on your abilities if it bothers you or not.
Sounds like a nice path, I'll need to get out there before the summer ends

Thanks!
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #2087
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I just think that if you're closing that parking lot and making it so access is just through shuttles, that will cut the actual traffic to that site (and some of the businesses there, like the restaurant) in half. People are going to be much less likely to park in Banff and take a shuttle than drive, unless they're already in Banff. But maybe people think it's too crowded as is and could use a bit less traffic, I don't know.
I think the tour bus crowd will fill the restaurant quite easily though I’ve never really looked at the clientele in there in a regular year.

I do think that closing the road to non-campground and lodge traffic is critical in any shared infrastructure approach. It’s also would be required to make it a nice environment for recreation as opposed to the legacy trail where you deal with constant car noise. You could also require reservations at the restaurant to drive the road. Significantly reducing the amount of cars enhances its use for wildlife.

I like Fuzz’s idea of closed from Banff to JC but to keep the other side accessible to families to bike to JC a dedicated path and limiting traffic would be required.

If Banff is serious about Transit closing the parking lot would create critical mass to make it work. You need to be able to visit Johnston Canyon and Lake Louise in 1 day without a car with 10-15 minute frequency.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #2088
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, or I would get booed out of this thread, but I want to ask for opinions on e-bike conversion kits. Anyone have tried it? Are they actually good or just gimmick? Any recommendations - I am looking into acquiring a cheap kit to maybe convert an old bike that I have, and I don't think I would go out and purchase a full e-bike. Thanks
Get a good battery from Em3ev or Grin. You can then cheap out on the rest of it. The low end e-bikes like RAD just use Bafeng Hub motors and cheap controllers anyways and they work good enough.

Read up on tourque arms for mounting wheel based motors. Also make sure you can True a wheel as the spokes being thicker in all these kits limits the amount of tension you can put on them so they slowly loosen.

The problem with cheating out on the battery is you burn your house down.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #2089
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread 2

Quote:

Hmm, lots of potential here.

User name checks out?
Rule Number 5?
:-)

(Sorry, I have no ebike advice)
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #2090
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
An eBike is still a bike. You're still working. Evidence shows that you're more likely to ride further and longer when you have an eBike. It takes away all the things that suck about riding sometimes, like wind and hills. I rode 5000km on my eBike and I bought a conversion kit from Luna Cycle, which is a mid-drive kit. I highly recommend it. They don't have quite the same battery options that I had when I bought mine, but the kits are great, easy to install and work really well. I'd go with mid-drive over hub-drive every day. Cost me about $1500 and I put it on a bike I found on kijiji for $200.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #2091
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Yeah, there's no shame in the ebike. They're great for getting people on bikes and letting them push their distances. I just wish they were more affordable.

I'll definitely get one when I'm older and start slowing down (or earlier if I get injured *knock on wood*).

Cycling goes from cheap to ridiculously expensive pretty damn quickly. Especially when ebikes are involved.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #2092
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My friend who said he'd never buy an ebike, did an ebike weekend with buddies in elkford last week on a couple of our demos and then last night took his wife riding with them. She loved it, so today he bought her an ebike.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #2093
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
My friend who said he'd never buy an ebike, did an ebike weekend with buddies in elkford last week on a couple of our demos and then last night took his wife riding with them. She loved it, so today he bought her an ebike.
I've been looking at e-road bikes for my wife as she'd like to join me more for longer rides. If you thought regular ebikes were expensive, the road versions make your jaw drop.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #2094
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I've been looking at e-road bikes for my wife as she'd like to join me more for longer rides. If you thought regular ebikes were expensive, the road versions make your jaw drop.

Yup, last fall I had an s-works creo that was $15500, and a creo sl expert evo that was $10200 at my house. Super fun to ride. It was pretty awesome to go out and ride but on the way back into the wind and still do 32km/hr where I would normally be under 20km/hr on my regular bike.

I'm building a kenevo expert right now. 180mm of travel with a boxer fork. Crazy.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #2095
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Westward only vehicle traffic for the whole length (2 way for the few hundred meters from Cory/Edith pass trailhead to HWY 1) is the easiest/cheapest option that can be implemented immediately, though not ideal as it will simply add more traffic to the nice stretch.

6km pathway makes all the sense in the world. Pretty sure there is a power ROW parallel to the CP tracks (but not so close as to be unpleasant when there is a train) - throw some asphalt down! The feds had no issue initially approving an assinine plan for 90+km (IIRC, maybe more) trail from Jasper to a tourist trap...it would be nice if they could instead focus on maximizing the potential that already exists and patching little gaps like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The bow valley parkway is currently closed from Banff to castle mountain, about 35k 1 way.

In the Kelowna area you have various sections of rails to trails including myra canyon on the kettle valley railway. It is pretty neat though more packed gravel than paved. But really easy riding.

Highwood pass the 1st two weeks of June on highway 40
Elbow valley highway 66 the first two weeks of May.

Both the above are roads but are closed and snow free for two weeks before they open.
Add highway 547 past Sandy McNabb to the early season list (most of it recently paved, and it's at least 5km IIRC before a big down and up hill - compared to HWY 66 where your putting your early season lungs to the test w/o any warmup!)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #2096
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Add highway 547 past Sandy McNabb to the early season list (most of it recently paved, and it's at least 5km IIRC before a big down and up hill - compared to HWY 66 where your putting your early season lungs to the test w/o any warmup!)
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 08-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #2097
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
yup, lots of uproots in some parts of the canal route, but not a bad path. alittle boring in some parts

but the Cranbrook to Kimberley got my attention. is it along the highway like the banff to canmore pathway? is it well paved?
It's the old railbed and has been reclaimed as a trail. I have not done it but the sections I have seen from the road are paved. Being that it is a railbed the grades would also be gentle.

https://www.northstarrailtrail.com/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #2098
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Did a ride out to Red Rock Canyon in Waterton this morning. It’s a gorgeous road that’s closed to cars on Wednesdays from 8am to noon. I missed that but went up at 7am this morning and no cars passed me on the way in but saw a few as I was heading back. It’s an amazing stretch of road that was recently paved.

It’s 27km out and back with a little over 400m of climbing (36km total from the hotel and back). I brought my road bike but there are lots of rental places in town with ebikes and mountain bikes.

There’s also a path from Waterton to get you to the road.

Link

Last edited by KTrain; 08-20-2020 at 12:09 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #2099
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ wow, looks like a nice ride
Old 08-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #2100
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ wow, looks like a nice ride
It really was. The original plan at the beginning of the year was to include a ride down and across the border into the States and back but I'm not doing a 24 day quarantine for 30ish kms. Maybe next year.

Here's a little more from this morning before we had to head back to Calgary. A lot more fun with clear skies and the sun shining.

Link
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: