Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #2061
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
There is a new pump track opening at South Glenmore park this weekend. If anyone goes to check it out I would love to hear your comments. I might head out there mid week with the kids and hopefully it won't be too busy.

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/new-bi...suUSacqjra5qJ4

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 08:24 PM   #2062
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Forget the clown's mouth, that looks like it could be fun for mini golf, too.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:04 AM   #2063
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sounds stolen.
Thought of that but nope
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #2064
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those of us who have enjoyed riding the Bow Valley Parkway this summer on the fresh tarmac, and with no vehicles to worry about, here is a survey:

https://s.surveyanyplace.com/bvpexperiences

You can complete one survey for each time you've biked the BVP.

Last edited by Ironhorse; 08-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #2065
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The pump track in that image looks a lot cooler than the one they built. The one they built is perfectly fine but us too small and tight. I was hoping for a nice straight away to get some speed but it doesn't really exist. Even on an early Monday morning that place was crazy busy. There was at least 50 kids there when we arrived and they definitely needed an easier circuit for the smaller or newer kids. Lots of wipe outs and kids stalling on the bumps and turns.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #2066
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
For those of us who have enjoyed riding the Bow Valley Parkway this summer on the fresh tarmac, and with no vehicles to worry about, here is a survey:

I just did Canmore to Johnston Canyon and back yesterday and the closed off 1A is a huge highlight. I left super early so was basically alone all the way there, then passed hundreds of people on the way back. Clearly it's a very popular move this summer and I hope they continue this for future summers.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #2067
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Did the 27k PLP (Peter Lougheed Park) paved bike path and loved it. The payoff at the end is a gorgeous view of the valley. I'll have to do that path again and remember to bring my gopro and camera to show off some photos as it's an amazing view

Can anyone recommend any other out of town park pathways that isnt on the road but a paved one for bikes?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #2068
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canmore to Banff one and this one are about all I can think of now

https://www.northstarrailtrail.com/
Old 08-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #2069
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cranbrook to Kimberley, but that's a ways away. Also, the canal to Chestermere isn't the worst. Not the best, either.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #2070
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Did the 27k PLP (Peter Lougheed Park) paved bike path and loved it. The payoff at the end is a gorgeous view of the valley. I'll have to do that path again and remember to bring my gopro and camera to show off some photos as it's an amazing view

Can anyone recommend any other out of town park pathways that isnt on the road but a paved one for bikes?
The bow valley parkway is currently closed from Banff to castle mountain, about 35k 1 way.

In the Kelowna area you have various sections of rails to trails including myra canyon on the kettle valley railway. It is pretty neat though more packed gravel than paved. But really easy riding.

Highwood pass the 1st two weeks of June on highway 40
Elbow valley highway 66 the first two weeks of May.

Both the above are roads but are closed and snow free for two weeks before they open.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #2071
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post

Here is the correct answer to the level of restriction that should be put on the road for everyone to copy and paste into the survey.

Quote:
Turn the road into a 1 way road from Banff to Castle Mountain. This allows the Campground and lodge to be open without unreasonable restriction.

Then add directional bike lanes and a walking path on remaining lane. Bikes and people should have separate lanes from Castle mountain to Johnson Canyon. Close road to all non-campground, non-lodge, non tour bus traffic. Close the parking lot at Johnson Canyon. Provide free transit service to Johnson Canyon from Banff
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 11:54 PM   #2072
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Cranbrook to Kimberley, but that's a ways away. Also, the canal to Chestermere isn't the worst. Not the best, either.
yup, lots of uproots in some parts of the canal route, but not a bad path. alittle boring in some parts

but the Cranbrook to Kimberley got my attention. is it along the highway like the banff to canmore pathway? is it well paved?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:24 AM   #2073
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
yup, lots of uproots in some parts of the canal route, but not a bad path. alittle boring in some parts

but the Cranbrook to Kimberley got my attention. is it along the highway like the banff to canmore pathway? is it well paved?
It's actually better than Banff-Canmore. Most of the time you are in the forest, so no road anywhere near you. It is well paved the whole way. Bonus is that hardly anyone is on it. The only negative is you gain quite a bit of elevation. I recommend starting in Cranbrook, so you do the bigger climbs halfway through your ride, not at the end. It's not a horrible climb, so depends on your abilities if it bothers you or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #2074
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Here is the correct answer to the level of restriction that should be put on the road for everyone to copy and paste into the survey.
I'm not so sure...I think they should leave Banff side to JC closed. Do what you quoted for Castle to JC only. Run a small shuttle on the first section that hits any of the hiking spots in between. Currently parks vehicles are still using the road, and I don't' find it much of an issue to make way for them, so if there was a shuttle every 30 minutes it wouldn't be a big deal.

I think the problem with the recommendation of sharing is you are now putting bikes and walking in 2 directions into one lane of traffic which could lead to people spilling into the traffic lane, and I don't expect them to put up barriers. There isn't really a need for traffic on that entire section.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #2075
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not so sure...I think they should leave Banff side to JC closed. Do what you quoted for Castle to JC only. Run a small shuttle on the first section that hits any of the hiking spots in between. Currently parks vehicles are still using the road, and I don't' find it much of an issue to make way for them, so if there was a shuttle every 30 minutes it wouldn't be a big deal.

I think the problem with the recommendation of sharing is you are now putting bikes and walking in 2 directions into one lane of traffic which could lead to people spilling into the traffic lane, and I don't expect them to put up barriers. There isn't really a need for traffic on that entire section.
Then you need to two way traffic in the Castle Mountain to JC section. Right now it’s not a big deal because the camp ground is closed and the lodge likely doesn’t have full capacity.

So if you want the campground open you add 130 sites which is a lot of people driving RVs who don’t drive them regularly. Those RVs Sharing lanes with kids on push bikes would create issues. You also are going to have Bis traffic running every 10 minutes and your bus traffic. So I don’t think sharing lames it what would be the busiest section of the road in terms of non vehicle use would work with the additional traffic of a non Covid year.

I don’t think you need the dedicated pedestrian lane past the campground and very few will walk the 29k side. You just need that for the castle mountain side. You need 3.3m for the bike lane, 3.6 for the cars and 1.5 for pedestrialns. Currently you’d have at least 7.2m probably a little more

The other alternative would be to leave the 6k section to Castle completely open, charge for parking at Johnston Canyon, build a legacy trail pathway adjacent to the road for that section and close the rest.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #2076
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not many people ride past JC anyway, so I figured ya, 2 way traffic there is no problem.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #2077
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like the canal because it's close and it's pretty much empty. Nice to not have to dismount or stop to cross a road for 70ish km (yeah, there's a spot or two along the way but the odds of you stopping are low)
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #2078
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having just been there recently, closing the JC parking lot and / or doing a lot of what is being suggested seems like it would absolutely destroy the businesses there. Although hey, fewer crowds.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #2079
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one has suggested closing the parking lot or access. With the campgrounds, you would need to have some way to get there.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #2080
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one has suggested closing the parking lot or access.
That's literally what the thing GGG quoted and referred to as the "correct answer that everyone should just copy and paste into the survey" says.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote