Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #1981
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Is this stretch officially complete/open?
Last week when I rode through Lynnview I saw a bobcat driving over gravel where the path would be. So I would guess no- but hopefully soon.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #1982
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhun View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a home based bike mechanic? Both of my bikes are sidelined for now, had breakdowns on both on the exact same day! The shops are all a 1-2 week wait for service.
Try Lou's ski shop...this seems to be the first year they are doing anything with bikes, so they are probably not that busy yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Last week when I rode through Lynnview I saw a bobcat driving over gravel where the path would be. So I would guess no- but hopefully soon.
I played a quick round of white-guy white-ball at the little par 3 ~6 weeks ago and it seemed close, but not that close, so I would have been surprised if it was open.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #1983
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those of us that like to get up early to get thier miles in the last two mornings have been spectacular.

+16 at 5.45 this morning with no wind.......

As an aside, in mid- April,I went on eBay and ordered thru axles for my gravel bike. The rear one came in about two weeks the front one has yet to show up (I have since been given a refund). So I decide to nut up and go to the Robert axle project in Bend, OR and placed my order on Saturday and the axle was delivered yesterday. I was stunned that something could get across the border that quickly, especially after waiting months.

As an aside, I think I will be limiting my purchases from eBay now given most of thier stuff is shipped from Asia and I am tired of waiting months to get stuff

Last edited by Northendzone; 07-22-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #1984
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone in the market for some shoes? Quoc was supposed to send me some, but instead sent me a pair of these in UK 9.5 / EU 43.5:

https://quoc.cc/collections/night-mo...27853471416343

They cost $460 plus shipping plus import fees plus whatever. I'm waiting to hear what Quoc is going to do for me but if they don't give me a satisfactory resolution I might just try selling them to make back the ~$300 I spent on the shoes I was supposed to get.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-22-2020 at 12:58 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #1985
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

CorsiHockeyLeague, I'm a 43.5 too. Shoot me a DM if you end up needing to get rid of them. I was going to be in the market for new shoes next season anyway.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #1986
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this morning i rode what i am going to call the SE Sufferfest as I left my hosue in New Brighton and rode down tot he river, along MacKenzie Meadows golf course and on to Crantston.

Rode up into Cranston, along the ridge and then down to Riverstone. Then a quick spin down there and headed home.

Both Cranston climbs are long and a challenge. I don't think they are as bad as years ago when I lived in Patterson and would ride along the river to Ed Worthy Park and then all the way back up to Patterson.

My watch says 204m of uphill fun - i was hoping it was more than that as i felt i suffered more......the ridge along Cranston offers up great views
Old 07-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #1987
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Garmin is having issues today. I need my stats..... lol
Old 07-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #1988
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post

it started last night so I couldn't even check for KOM's post ride.
First world problems.

on a real-world note, I've observed more rocks and debris again between Rocky Ridge and Cochrane on the highway, as well as Springbank, and Airport roads. Good thing I was on high(er) alert coming down COP switchbacks last night too due to some small gravel/silt and the odd rock. Don't wanna go down and turn into hamburger or break more bones.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #1989
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
it started last night so I couldn't even check for KOM's post ride.
First world problems.

on a real-world note, I've observed more rocks and debris again between Rocky Ridge and Cochrane on the highway, as well as Springbank, and Airport roads. Good thing I was on high(er) alert coming down COP switchbacks last night too due to some small gravel/silt and the odd rock. Don't wanna go down and turn into hamburger or break more bones.
Oh yeah Garmin is having issues:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1286364801891880961
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #1990
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Jasper rides

I know this is a probably a long shot but I'm wondering if anyone will be up in Jasper Aug 6-10 or know other riders who will be up there that would be looking to do some road rides. I'm specifically looking to ride Edith Cavell and to be honest I'd like to ride in a group if possible (for safety reasons). The road has a ton of switchbacks and zero shoulder. Not sure what freaks me out more, cars zipping around the bends or bears jumping out of the bushes! I have reached out to a couple of Strava clubs and will be contacting a couple of shops up there as well. Hoping to do at least 2 rides that weekend. I was up there a couple of weeks back, and the ride to Athabasca falls is very nice, Miette Hot Springs would be another possibility.

M
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hungryhun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #1991
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhun View Post
I know this is a probably a long shot but I'm wondering if anyone will be up in Jasper Aug 6-10 or know other riders who will be up there that would be looking to do some road rides. I'm specifically looking to ride Edith Cavell and to be honest I'd like to ride in a group if possible (for safety reasons). The road has a ton of switchbacks and zero shoulder. Not sure what freaks me out more, cars zipping around the bends or bears jumping out of the bushes! I have reached out to a couple of Strava clubs and will be contacting a couple of shops up there as well. Hoping to do at least 2 rides that weekend. I was up there a couple of weeks back, and the ride to Athabasca falls is very nice, Miette Hot Springs would be another possibility.

M
The cars should freak you out. Bears while road riding just aren’t really a concern. If there are roadside bears there will be a traffic Jam.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #1992
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not entirely true. I was riding up to Minewanka with my wife. As she went by an area close to the trees I saw some movement. Shortly after a bear emerged, and I ended up about 5 feet from it. Fortunately there are nice restrooms at the parking lot.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #1993
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Not entirely true. I was riding up to Minewanka with my wife. As she went by an area close to the trees I saw some movement. Shortly after a bear emerged, and I ended up about 5 feet from it. Fortunately there are nice restrooms at the parking lot.
Yeah, I also ran into a Grizzly on the under pass onto legacy trail into the cascade pond parking lot.

Nothing really to worry about. In the rare event of a bear encounter without other cars to shield you just follow standard bear protocol. You aren’t going to surprise a bear like you do on a trail.

Relative to cars the risk is minimal. After lots of bear encounters on trails they just don’t worry me anymore.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #1994
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Passed 10,000km on the year during our ride today (about 50/50 trainer and real world). At the start of the year 11k was the goal for the entire year so I'm pretty happy.

Along with beating my Highwood Pass PR, I accomplished my other goals of a 200+km and 2000+m ride a few weeks back.

Thanks Covid.

The rest of the year I think I just want to try new routes around AB and BC. Any recommendations for "bucket list" or just cool rides around in AB or BC. Sorry hungryhun, I don't think I can make it out to Jasper. Though shoot me a message with the dates...

Last edited by KTrain; 07-25-2020 at 04:37 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #1995
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cranbrook to Kimberley has a really nice Legacy Style trail, it's a nice round trip on paved a paved trail with no cars. I suggest starting in Cranbrook so most of your suffering is in the first half. Can't remember the total round trip, but I think it's 50-75km. Lots of wildlife.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #1996
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Passed 10,000km on the year during our ride today (about 50/50 trainer and real world). At the start of the year 11k was the goal for the entire year so I'm pretty happy.
Wow that's awesome. I'm at 2500km on the year (600 on the trainer for me) and did my first 100km ride today — feeling pretty good and have completely smashed my personal records (plus many firsts) but wow, 10k is next level!!

Not sure of any defined routes that you wouldn't have done, but I camped near Pincher Creek/Beaver Mines earlier in the year and thought it was a goldmine of beauty road riding (only did Beauvais Lake → Lee Lake but I think to Lundbreck Falls would be phenomenal, maybe with a stop at the taproom before turning back).

Have also heard that Waterton → US Border is great right now with the lack of cross-border traffic.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 09:05 PM   #1997
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post

Have also heard that Waterton → US Border is great right now with the lack of cross-border traffic.
That's brilliant. South of Elko looks like it would be a really nice ride right now, too.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #1998
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Finished a quick weekend tour, and I highly recommend it.

Day 1 - Whiteman’s Pond(Ha Ling) - Elkwood Campground in K Country via the Spray Lakes Road. Little bit washboardy, but still beautiful.

Day 2 - K-Country - Elkford via the high Rockies trail to Elk Pass, Hydro maintenance road to Elk Lakes, and the forestry road to Elkford. Bit of a suffer fest at times with the wind coming up the valley, but gorgeous ride. All roads were in great riding condition.

Day 3 - Elkford to Fernie - Hwy 43/3. Hwy 43 is fantastic to ride, nice shoulders, excellent views. We also had perfect weather yesterday morning.

Strava claims it all to be about 215km and 1800m of ups! My Covid purchase of the Kona Sutra handled all the terrain like a champ!
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #1999
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strava tells me around 2,500 sofar this year - with about half on my gravel grinder.

Today the wife and I rode from The Finland’s in Banff to Johnson Canyon. After so food and water, she headed back and I rode another 7k or so to past castle mountain. I logged about 70k.

What a great ride and a perfect day. I found more elevation than I expected. The ride out was much easier than the ride in, I thought.

Would highly recommend trying to get this in if you have not already

Next week I am taking my altitude and we are hitting fernie for a week. Plan to stop in Sparwood on the way out and then crows nest pass on the way home
Old 07-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #2000
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My Garmin data uploaded to Strava this morning FYI.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post: