Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #21
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm touched.

wait...
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #22
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Unless I'm missing something the Flames have 9.5 in capspace and still need to sign at least two RFA forwards and an RFA goalie who should.be expecting a nice raise.
I haven't seen a lot of posters bragging about how great the Flames' cap situation is at the moment. Nearly everyone here acknowledges that the Flames will have to shed salaries (with good players that we like attached to those salaries) in order to be salary cap compliant by September.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #23
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something the Flames have 9.5 in capspace and still need to sign at least two RFA forwards and an RFA goalie who should.be expecting a nice raise.
Excuses aside, if we can’t throw stones at the Leafs despite our own bad situation then the terrorists have won.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #24
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Does that mean the leafs have to be under the (with Horton's cap hit counting to the total tally) for the start of the season and can only use the ltir cap relief after the season starts?

I get confused about this every frigin year.
I know in the summer you can exceed the cap by 10% but like you I'm not sure if there is a timeframe where a team has to be cap compliant including salaries that will be on the LTIR.

Since Horton has been on IR at the end of last year and will not be in camp I suspect he instantaneously can move to the LTIR list the day the cap goes into effect. Whereas with players who get injured in camp there can be a day where they need to get a player or two transferred to LTIR so they can sign a free agent try out player.

If there is a poster wo knows for sure it's getback.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Does that mean the leafs have to be under the (with Horton's cap hit counting to the total tally) for the start of the season and can only use the ltir cap relief after the season starts?

I get confused about this every frigin year.
Leafs can use off season LTIR. The LTIR will be recalculated when the season starts

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq#offseason

Quote:
Can LTIR be used in the off-season?
Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-04-2019 at 10:43 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #26
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know this will be well received...

For all the people saying the Leafs are screwed. They need to sign one player and have 10 million in cap.

The Flames are in no perfect spot, but that 9.5 number is not entirely accurate, the are carrying 8 d men, worse case they move Kylington or Valimaki down, or buy out Stone. Likewise Gillies counts as a roster player if you are using cap friendly, the moment Rittich is signed his money is off the books. The Flames cap space is actually closer to 11.5 million if they don't buy out stone, and 12.5 million if they do.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Difference being that the flames have extra pieces ie. frolik, brodie/hamonic that could be moved to clear space. Leafs are sorta stuck with what they have so fitting in 11 million is gonna be tough. Flames aren't necessarily better, both teams are gonna be in tight to make it work.
I don’t really follow the Leafs so why are they stuck with what they have? Don’t they have traceable pieces?

Agree that if you have a low enough asking price Brodie or Hamonic could be traded in 10 minutes. Frolik just a little trickier as any competent GM will at least start with asking Flames to retain salary.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #28
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The Flames are in no perfect spot, but that 9.5 number is not entirely accurate, the are carrying 8 d men, worse case they move Kylington or Valimaki down, or buy out Stone. Likewise Gillies counts as a roster player if you are using cap friendly, the moment Rittich is signed his money is off the books. The Flames cap space is actually closer to 11.5 million if they don't buy out stone, and 12.5 million if they do.
Let’s get it right. Take away Gillies and Kylington and cap space is $11 million. Then need to sign Tkachuk, Bennett, Rittich and Mangiapane.

Also assumes you are paying Quine or someone like him league minimum. Which is probably good assumption.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #29
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Let’s get it right. Take away Gillies and Kylington and cap space is $11 million. Then need to sign Tkachuk, Bennett, Rittich and Mangiapane.

Also assumes you are paying Quine or someone like him league minimum. Which is probably good assumption.
Quine signed for $735,00/$400,000
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #30
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty frickin tight if you ask me. No way a contract isn't moved. At the very least Stone would have to be bought out if nothing else changes. Tkachuck not included. Bennett, Rittich and Mangiapane will take up close to 6 mill between them.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t really follow the Leafs so why are they stuck with what they have? Don’t they have traceable pieces?

Agree that if you have a low enough asking price Brodie or Hamonic could be traded in 10 minutes. Frolik just a little trickier as any competent GM will at least start with asking Flames to retain salary.
Not ones that they want to trade. I mean, they just signed Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Ceci, and Muzzin, Hyman, Reilly, Andersen and Barrie are on good deals. That leaves Tavares, Matthews and Nylander with contracts that make a difference cap-wise. They aren't moving Tavares or Matthews and Nylander is a difficult move.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #32
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Agree that if you have a low enough asking price Brodie or Hamonic could be traded in 10 minutes
If you have a fair value asking price you could probably move them in 11 minutes.

Assuming some things about the situation here but it appears they're trying to keep Hamonic with the hopes of signing him to a long deal and moving Brodie. It looks like they had a (complicated?) deal worked out revolving around Kadri that included Brodie but it fell through. They could deal Brodie for a fair value draft pick deal but Treliving is trying to address holes in the roster elsewhere with Brodie, or was.

The summer moves fast and we're all afraid being left holding that cap space bag but it is only July 4th, there is still lots of time to get things in order. The Doomsday Clock is about at a three, if we get through the buy-out arbitration period in the same situation it raises to an eight.

I know I know, insert Iraqi information minister gif here but I can equally reply with panicked Jonah Hill with some of you. I like to believe I'm somewhere in the middle.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #33
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd think they can get Mangiapane signed easily. If i'm him, I sign a one year show me deal and bet on myself. I think he'll have a big year next year which will set him up for a big contract next.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
They could deal Brodie for a fair value draft pick deal but Treliving is trying to address holes in the roster elsewhere with Brodie, or was.
This is likely true and even if it does happen this way, it's not the end of the world. That draft pick can be turned into a significant add at the trade deadline if the Flames are contending.

The draft pick route is likely Plan B.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #35
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

is it possible, or even likely, that the Leafs signed Kerfoot hoping to make him a more desirable piece to flip?

I assume he'd be their #3C, as its stands, correct? ... do they have another option for that position? ... is $3.5M reasonable for a #3C?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #36
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It certainly isn't Marner's fault that the leafs don't have any cap space left for him.

If you go by league value for contracts, he does deserve $11+.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #37
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Nylander being shipped out in a move that isn't wholly in favour of the Leafs.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
It certainly isn't Marner's fault that the leafs don't have any cap space left for him.

If you go by league value for contracts, he does deserve $11+.
Well, his team has a lot to do with setting that market price, having paid two of their players that amount.

Marner was 11th in scoring, and the 11th highest salary currently is $10M (Eichel). On the other hand, aside from Eichel, McDavid and Matthews (and Toews and Kane back in the day), no recent RFAs have gotten that much. Is Marner worth as much as those guys? Is he worth as much as Matthews?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #39
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it just me or is $4.5 million for Ceci not a little high. Could just be my viewings if Ceci and the Ottawa terrible team factor, but he’s never impressed me, even a little.

4.5 million for Ceci makes the cap crunch worse and I don’t feel he’s all that good in the NHL. 🤷🏻#♂️
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #40
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm pretty sure he's being paid that because that's what he was awarded in Ottawa. The Leafs had to sign him to exactly that to use him this year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: