Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Rating the Flames Free Agency Performence

I know that free agency is not over, and more trades, and signings will trickle in over the next few days. Still, it would be interesting to discuss about how everyone feels about BTs job over the last day, and forward through the week. So far I would rate the Flames,

Out of 10:
1.5 points for signing some AHL depth.
2 points for finding an affordable 1b goalie.
4 points not signing any bad contracts.
0 points for clearing some cap scape via a trade.

Total 7.5/10

I felt that there was no urgency to sign any UFAs outside of some AHL contracts and a Goalie, both of those things were done. The next priority was cap space, not signing any bad contracts helps that out. No trade is disappointing, but a buyout option in Stone does give them some flexibility if no trades come to fruition.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I give them a 10 for signing exactly zero stupidly overpaid vets

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

any time you come out of July 1st without a contract you will regret in the future, it's a win.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

4/10- rating will change as summer goes on
credit for signing 1b goalie and ahl help.
pretty hard to spend money in FA when you have no cap to do so, irony is because last few years Brad spent money in FA unwisely
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getoverit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I wonder if Justin Williams would be available for a cheap one year deal? I know he loves Carolina, but a chance to win (again for him) and the Carolina connections....would free up a trade of Frolik too.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames had two things they needed to do, sign another goalie and make some trades to free up cap space.

They accomplished the first in a reasonable fashion (I'll say 3.5/5), and the 2nd is still pending.

So far, it's a 3.5 with half the grade still to be determined..
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The Flames had two things they needed to do, sign another goalie and make some trades to free up cap space.

They accomplished the first in a reasonable fashion (I'll say 3.5/5), and the 2nd is still pending.

So far, it's a 3.5 with half the grade still to be determined..
Seems like a fair assesment. I second this one
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic. They got out of July 1 without a new buyout candidate.

Every year, teams who wait to sign veteran players for a million bucks in August get value for their dollar. There were only a handful of value deals yesterday, and the Flames got one of them in Talbot.

More July 1s like this, Brad.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
4/10- rating will change as summer goes on
credit for signing 1b goalie and ahl help.
pretty hard to spend money in FA when you have no cap to do so, irony is because last few years Brad spent money in FA unwisely
Exactly. I give myself 10/10 for not buying a million dollar boat.

(I don’t have a million dollars sitting around to buy a boat).
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

On the UFA front BT did well.

On the off-season move area of things though? A big fat F thus far.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #11
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

4/10

While I think Talbot will be an improvement on Smith, I'm not sure how much it moves the needle for the team overall.

If Ferland gets signed to some sort of hometown deal it'll jump right up to a 9/10.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much time left in the off season to address any trades. Bottom line coming away without anything that would be an anchor in the future is a plus.

Winning during the free agent frenzy is as rare as a unicorn. We "won" with Brouwer and Neal. Oilers "won" with Lucic, Sekera, Pouliot.

I haven't looked, but I would guess that the majority of the players that NHL teams are currently on the hook for, are from "winning" July 1st. You always over pay in term and salary.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Happy with how yesterday went.

Really comes down to what he can get for Frolik/Brodie/Stone. That's the important part.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #14
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to give it a 5 out of 10.

Pros:
- I like the Talbot signing, could be a good backup, with the potential to regain elite starter status
- No big overpays on the UFA market
- Breadcrumbs out there that flames were in on Brodie to get kadri (meaning they saw value in upgrading the 2nd line C position, upgrading the nasty to play against factor, upgrading the give a S meter).

Cons
- After losing out on Kadri, Brodie is still here, with the number of teams that may have been in the market quite diminished after yesterday
- No movement on Frolik and/or stone, and most teams appear to have already made their big cap impacting moves already
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

3/10 so far. Hard to justify more than that because this team got exposed hard in the playoffs and will be coming back with a remarkably weaker roster.

Barring a huge surprise trade we are probably a middle of the pack team in the conference next season, if all that happens is Brodie and Frolik flipped for some mediocre picks.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #16
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll wait and see what the team looks like on opening night. Still early in the summer, lots of moves possible yet. If they do happen to stand pat (which is doubtful), then I'd give them 5 out of 10 as they did address the goalie issue (hopefully).
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #17
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is kind of like rating the oilers playoff performance
Old 07-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #18
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
3/10 so far. Hard to justify more than that because this team got exposed hard in the playoffs and will be coming back with a remarkably weaker roster.

Barring a huge surprise trade we are probably a middle of the pack team in the conference next season, if all that happens is Brodie and Frolik flipped for some mediocre picks.
This may not be such a bad thing: it may force the Flames to realize, as a team, that they need to play harder, tougher, faster and meaner. And it wouldn't hurt to add a few bodies who can do that....
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post

What? Stats quo at worst. This team was #2 overall in the NHL in the regular season. I know they bombed in the playoffs but history shows you almost always lose before you win in the playoffs.

- The biggest loss is Hathaway, but improvement from Dube will likely improve that spot.
- You have to expect the young forward core to be the same or improve overall as a group.
- Goaltending pretty much has to be better than it was in the regular season
- While we can't expect the same season from Gio, I can't see him falling off a cliff yet, any depth will lost on D can be pretty easily replaced and we still have good young D that is comparable with the best in the league.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #20
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did OK, I usually like to see them target a couple darkhorse depth guys but glad they avoided the old dogs on the wrong side of 30 that they've been chasing in past a la Neal and Brouwer.

For me the disappointment this off-season has been the trade results. Easier said than done but the team needs a minor shakeup and to clear out some of the glut of defencemen while returning some futures.

Nobody expects them to get out from under Neal's deal but they have productive players who appear to have value that would give them wiggle room in re-signing RFAs if they could move them out for futures but aside from the rumored Kadri deal haven't seemed to find a fit. I hope they don't return the same group and find themselves struggling to accommodate some of the young dmen's ice time.

Last edited by Matty81; 07-02-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote