Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #201
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It is...in fact i would wager its even higher than that.

Here's the problem though.....people tune in at different times. Just because someone listens for 45 minutes at a certain point in the morning (for example 7-7:45) it doesn't mean what they hear at that time is all that was talked about for the full 5 hours of the show.

The truth is, as already mentioned, that they simply cannot come up with that much content from focusing on one single subject all day and every day.

Again, a game lasts for 2 1/2 hours. How can someone then extrapolate 4 or 5 hours of commentary and observations from that? It is simply not possible to do and keep the attention of tens of thousands of listeners. And that's on days after a game, doing so on a day after they didn't play is asinine.

Hell it's hard to do for one hour every single day which is why guys like Friedman and Burke are dropped in during the week. It not only fills time but gives listeners a different voice and often a different perspective.

It's a SPORTS station, not a HOCKEY station and even knowing where their bread is buttered, it is very wise to talk other subjects including non-sports banter at times. The majority of their audience are not "hard-core Flames only" people , so there has to be variety.

As it is on a typical game day, they talk about the team on and off from 5-10 AM and again from 12-5 PM. Then 2 hours of pre-game stuff from 5-7. Then the game itself from 7-10. Then post game stuff anywhere from 10PM til at least midnight.

Thats 15 freaking hours of Flames/hockey talk every game day....and its not enough?

Yes it’s enough, I wasn’t saying they need more. I’m saying that I wouldn’t want to see them add more ‘non hockey’ sports coverage than what it currently is because for that stuff there’s simply better content elsewhere.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #202
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I feel that in general the CP collective dislikes the majority of sports media guys

I'd say the TV guys - Ball and Hrudey are very highly regarded by CP.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #203
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment and tone but I also think you may be reading too much into what people are saying. People can have an opinion and write it and still not be “all fired up” or “full of hate”.

I don’t hate these people. In fact I doubt anyone who posts on this message board does. We are expressing our observations and opinions and it doesn’t have to be all roses and sunshine. In fact, if these radio hosts read this site and I suspect they do, they could take feedback like mine as a positive or as constructive and maybe think about how they could be even better.

Not talking about anything but nachos and fantasy picks for an hour every morning is not “screwing up” but is “screwing around”. I try not to do that at work too and I’m definitely not perfect and welcome criticism at my work. That’s how I get better, by listening to that advice, introspection and then trying to change what I’m doing. It doesn’t mean my audience hates me if they’re telling me what they think I should be doing differently.

In fact- quite the opposite... if I didn’t care at all I wouldn’t even bother posting about it. So maybe they should take that as some positivity. I know that when these dudes actually do their jobs they’re pretty good at it and I like their insight. They should try harder.
I don’t really agree with your post here. For one, I think people should say what they mean. If you use derogatory language or seek to insult people with it, others are going to assume there’s a little bit of “hate” behind it.

I also don’t think saying things like “they should try harder” or that what they’re talking about is “screwing around” and not what you’d do at your own job really matters. This is a morning drive-time show, one of the most popular shows on the station. What you see as “screwing around” is part of the gimmick, it’s part of what makes the show. You might think it’s too big of a part, and that’s ok, but it’s certainly not them failing to do their job. You’re judging a square peg on a round hole, like judging an improve show on the standards of a theatre production. As you said, you can’t please everyone. But people would do well do realise when something that doesn’t work for them is a result of the show not really being geared towards them.

As far as taking criticism as positive and constructive, I’ll call a little dog shirt on that. Lots of posts like this, which really accomplish neither:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
He’s still a 1000% better than marble mouth Will Neault’s fan960 shop talk & fantasy football takes.

At least Peter’s takes aren’t the equivalent of something stolen from the town drunk like Will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
He sounds like Kermit the Frog to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
This is not very accurate because the morning show is predominantly about food and useless idiotic things from what I can tell?
It’s funny. For all the people who hate Rome, there are plenty of posters who embody the clone mentality: “have a take, don’t suck.” But maybe when it’s talking about people who read CP, and you’re talking about their job or their voice or whatever, you could try harder.

Or not, I’m sure all the guys can take it, they’re adults. But then let’s not pretend this is all positive, constructive criticism.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #204
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, Nault went full moron on everybody yesterday on the Flames roundtable.

Nault: I get it, Gaudreau broke his finger a couple years ago, and yes, that was one I believe if I'm not mistaken, Eric Staal got suspended for, and -
Wills: No he didn't.
Nault: (stammering) ...regardless. None of those guys have missed time, yes when star players get hurt, they police it properly. [..] I just don't see it as a problem in the NHL, I really don't.
Steinberg: Well, when I'm watching the games from up high...
Nault: That's part of the competitive game of hockey!
Wills: Let me ask you this, Will. If that slash by Byfuglien had broken Gaudreau's arm would you feel differently?
Nault: Well, that's... (stammering) well yeah, obviously. I think lot of people would. And it didn't break his arm though, that's the bottom line.
Wills: And we're trying to prevent that from happening, is the conversation.
Nault: Yeah, but did Byfuglien walk away scot free?
Steinberg: ...basically.
Wills: $2500, basically. That's like $25 to you and I. Maybe less.
Steinberg: And a 2 minute penalty that meant absolutely nothing.
Nault: I just think it's silly because none of those players have missed time.

[...] (The conversation shifts to star players being limited due to the slashes)

Nault: Scoring is up across the league though! It's not limiting their ability to do their jobs at all!
Steinberg: You can't tell me that a player like MacKinnon, or McDavid, or Gaudreau...
Nault: He's having a career year!
Steinberg: You're telling me the slashes don't limit him?
Nault: I think he's just fine.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #205
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

You guys take sports radio way to seriously. I'm not sure what you're hoping to hear on 960 that hasn't already been beaten to death on CP.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #206
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Haha, Nault went full moron on everybody yesterday on the Flames roundtable.
"Full moron" seems a bit harsh, but I think that someone always seems to be the devil's advocate in their discussions. It doesn't have to be an argument to be a useful discussion. So I see your point for sure, but Neault isn't a moron. He seems like a bit of a grumpy fellow sometimes though.

Also, ATL is great and I make sure to never miss one. Thanks for the awesome contributions!

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #207
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Having worked a few times with these guys, I can absolutely without a doubt state that all these guys are class acts. But they are doing their job which comes down to the balancing act of expanding their audience while keeping thier base. In a town which will always primarily focus on the NHL, this is a tough ask. Do I like everything they do, not for a moment but imo, they do very well with what they have.

Last edited by csnarpy; 12-29-2018 at 08:54 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #208
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
"Full moron" seems a bit harsh, but I think that someone always seems to be the devil's advocate in their discussions. It doesn't have to be an argument to be a useful discussion. So I see your point for sure, but Neault isn't a moron. He seems like a bit of a grumpy fellow sometimes though.

Also, ATL is great and I make sure to never miss one. Thanks for the awesome contributions!

You’re right full moron is harsh. I’ve heard him say far less intelligent and more useless things.

I believe the problem most people have with 960 is that for supposed professional broadcasters they’re too frequently amateurs. Amateur in their production, in their takes, and in their analysis all during a period of history where with a little bit of creativity and/or extra work it’s NEVER been easier to refine ones knowledge to provide useful insight.

They too frequently just take the easy way out, obviously because they feel they can. This isn’t a big deal if it is 1998... but it isn’t.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #209
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You’re right full moron is harsh. I’ve heard him say far less intelligent and more useless things.

I believe the problem most people have with 960 is that for supposed professional broadcasters they’re too frequently amateurs. Amateur in their production, in their takes, and in their analysis all during a period of history where with a little bit of creativity and/or extra work it’s NEVER been easier to refine ones knowledge to provide useful insight.

They too frequently just take the easy way out, obviously because they feel they can. This isn’t a big deal if it is 1998... but it isn’t.
You seem pretty vehement about this. Is there something specific that seems very amateur or like the "easy way out?" You have every right to be unhappy with the station, but it seems like earlier you were just slinging insults at the hosts, and now it's generalisations about the station content.

If you want to be taken seriously, give a specific example so that we can understand instead of seeming like you just have some kind of vendetta against 960 as a whole.

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #210
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
You seem pretty vehement about this. Is there something specific that seems very amateur or like the "easy way out?" You have every right to be unhappy with the station, but it seems like earlier you were just slinging insults at the hosts, and now it's generalisations about the station content.

If you want to be taken seriously, give a specific example so that we can understand instead of seeming like you just have some kind of vendetta against 960 as a whole.

Listen to them fumble away at the production repeatedly on the afternoon show & I have given specific examples.

Will’s hot take on making Brodie a healthy scratch earlier in the year when he was struggling is a simpleton’s amateur take. How long would it take to come up with that analysis? That is the easy way out.

Not to mention his deep dive in the summer of 2017 suggesting McDavid would sign for $9.7 M/per.

The earlier example is too numerous to mention if you listen regularly. I get it that some people don’t care. I do & I’m not going to enable them anymore.

I’m also not going to waste my time with more details.

They obviously don’t care, so why should I?
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:35 AM   #211
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
You guys take sports radio way to seriously. I'm not sure what you're hoping to hear on 960 that hasn't already been beaten to death on CP.
Only reason I ever listen to 960 is that I can't read CP while driving.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:24 AM   #212
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like 960 personally and like what they bring for the time frame I listen to. I certainly do not listen for more than .5 hr per day.

For that .5 in the morning I think they do an excellent job. I don’t need full depth analysis of the game from the prior night (if applicable). I am fully capable of making that analysis myself. I do enjoy the fact that they touch on the game, update me on the NFL, and sprinkle in some relatable humour.

Naturally, everyone is different. However, I’m right in the wheelhouse for their demographic and I enjoy it. Nothing is perfect.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #213
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Disagree entirely. If you’re tuning in to Calgary’s local sports radio show to hear opinions about the NFL or basketball or soccer you’re doing it wrong.

When I tune in I want to hear about hockey and the flames because that’s what they know and what they do best. If I want to hear about the NFL I’ll tune in elsewhere...which will be way better than whatever the Fan can come up with. Why would you be listening to a small market Canadian radio show to get news and insights about the NFL or MLB. It’s fine to give us a couple spots as they do now but 80% of the content should be focused on hockey.
Every time I listen though they don't even really talk about the Flames that much, they talk general NHL. I'm way more of a flames fan than a hockey fan, I don't care one lick about the goalies in Philly or Torontos RFA contracts but that's what they talk about for interminable stretches.

Put me in the camp of liking Rome. God forbid they have 2 out of 16 daylight hours to not hammer whatever dumb story is front and centre in ther NHL world. Unless you're listening g to every single second of the Fan now I don't know how people could argue for more NHL. There's podcasts and other content for that too.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #214
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Every time I listen though they don't even really talk about the Flames that much, they talk general NHL. I'm way more of a flames fan than a hockey fan, I don't care one lick about the goalies in Philly or Torontos RFA contracts but that's what they talk about for interminable stretches.

Put me in the camp of liking Rome. God forbid they have 2 out of 16 daylight hours to not hammer whatever dumb story is front and centre in ther NHL world. Unless you're listening g to every single second of the Fan now I don't know how people could argue for more NHL. There's podcasts and other content for that too.

Rome is the absolute worst. What a complete waste of time. I never know what he’s talking about and his delivery is so grating. Maybe it’s just me but I doubt it.

I think one of the challenges of radio is that people tune in and out all the time. So if I’m driving somewhere at 1130 and I’m looking for some flames talk, and of course they have Rome on, it’s disappointing.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #215
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
The earlier example is too numerous to mention if you listen regularly. I get it that some people don’t care. I do & I’m not going to enable them anymore.

I’m also not going to waste my time with more details.

They obviously don’t care, so why should I?
You take radio too seriously. It’s entertainment, not life or death. Your education or ability to do your job isn’t dependant on what you hear on AM radio. It’s fun, conversational, and meant to entertain you.

If you want something else from it, go look it up yourself or find one of the hundred other options available to get what you want. You’re free to voice your distaste, but the whole “I’m not going to enable them anymore” and “they obviously don’t care, so why should I” victim mentality will do you no favours.

This is AM Sports Radio in a relatively small market. Adjust your expectations accordingly, or stop being cheap and order Satelitte Radio.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #216
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rome and the Flames broadcasts are pretty much all I listen to on the Fan. Rome isn’t as good as it was a few years ago, but it’ll be a shame if they get rid of him for more hockey talk.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #217
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

I'd rather hear nacho talk than anything to do with the NFL, NBA, or MLB.

The perfect breakdown would be:

60% Flames
20% NHL
15% nacho talk
5% Burke/Brunt/Virk (dudes so interesting they can talk about whatever, even other sports and make it engaging)

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 10:43 AM   #218
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
But how else will I get my fake rage on a product that is free?
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #219
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
And while we are making line up changes, please take Trace Ventura (formerly St. John) - mayhem on memorial, crush of the rush, calamity on the concrete, ass kicking on Anderson - and fire him into.... Edmonton.
Oh man that guy is so annoying! And usually it's just fender-benders, but in the past there's been some fairly serious incidents involving injuries that he's put some delightful little pun on, I find it to be in extremely poor taste sometimes.

It'd be like finding out his wife or someone close to him is in the hospital for some major surgery, and I'm all "Oh, it's raucous in the Rockyview! Lol!"
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #220
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

For all the defenders of the Fan 960, do yourself a favour and listen to just about any other sports talk radio station in Canada. Download TuneIn Radio on your app store, or even just visit their website and stream it on your computer. Once you've heard the non-stop sports talk some of these other stations put out you *should* have a hard time going back to 960.

I'm a Bruins fan first but really enjoy hearing about the Flames because I live here. I listen to 590 out of Toronto almost exclusively because even when they talk about sports I don't care for, they do it with thought and opinions that make me start to care a little. Sure I roll my eyes a lot at some of the Leaf masturabatory talk, but if it gets unbearable, I just switch to one of the other markets that is having a game day or whatever. Chances are always good I will get smart sports talk with little deviation to random topics I can hear about on the FM channels. That rarely happens on 960 - but perhaps that's all Calgary listeners want so that's what they get. For those of that want good radio, it's out there - just not Flame-centric. Which is too bad.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post: