Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know if I would ever want to spend that much on a goalie.

I mean what's the difference between a 11 million dollar and a 5 million dollar goalie? Maybe a quarter goal a game at most?

Meanwhile the difference between a 5 million dollar forward or defense man and a 11 million dollar forward or defenseman is a lot more significant.

I don't know if I would want more then 10% of my cap space going to a starting goalie.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #42
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Why would I be wishing this is a bad deal? I dont have a dog in the fight, Im looking at things comparison wise to the rest of the league.

Answer these...is Bobrovsky the 2nd best G in hockey?

Is Carey Price providing good value in Montreal?

as has been discussed lots...goalies are voodoo. all of them. Committing this kind of term to a guy at an AAV that makes him among the 10 highest players in the entire league is simply asinine.
Except goaltending is probably the single most important position to have some consistency and talent. Look at the Blues with Allen vs. with Binnington. If you don't have goaltending, you're not likely to win much.

So paying an established top 5-10 goalie what he command on the open market when you have nobody in the organization is a necessary evil. It's not exactly asinine, it's just expensive.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

people only think this is bad because we haven’t seen a lot of top level goaltenders enter the market recently.

I’m sure the signings of Holtby, Andersen, Vasilevskiy, Murray, and possibly Grubauer (if his trajectory holds) over the next couple of years are going to alter perceptions pretty heavily. You can be that at least 3 of those guys are looking at HUGE raises.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #44
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Except goaltending is probably the single most important position to have some consistency and talent. Look at the Blues with Allen vs. with Binnington. If you don't have goaltending, you're not likely to win much.

So paying an established top 5-10 goalie what he command on the open market when you have nobody in the organization is a necessary evil. It's not exactly asinine, it's just expensive.
Then why are they not all over the top of the salary charts?

4 of the top 50 (before today)| are G's.

No question that you dont win with out goaltending....but its just never known with them when they will be providing that.

Price has had bad years, Fleury has had bad years, Lundqvist has had bad years. Rask almost lost his job at one point.

Thats why the TERM on this deal makes it so risky.

I mean I dont dislike the Panthers, but this will come back to bite them, its just a matter if its sooner or later.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #45
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one is gong to hurt the Panthers. That's a lot of scratch for a position that is so dependent on the rest of the players in front of him.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #46
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Panthers announce the signing:
https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/fl...ct/c-308145088

still waiting on AAV

edit there it is:

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
7 years x $10 M aav
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #47
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Bobrovsky 7x10, NMC first five years
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #48
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, everyone expected this, but that's so much money

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #49
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

This is a bad contract.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #50
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised it was 10 million, especially considering where in the USA this team is and what taxes look like there. I don't look at Bobrovsky as one of the best players in the league, but he is being paid in what I am guessing would be top 5 'take home' money.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #51
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

This contract is definitely a little shocking from afar. But in reality the top players salaries have been trending up and I wouldn’t be surprised if in 5 years this AAV is in line with most of the top goalies. Florida just needed average goaltending last year and they would’ve made a lot of noise in the East. This deal will help with that for sure. Albeit expensively.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #52
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's elite in his position and when guys like Kevin Hayes get 7 million, I don't think this is a surprise.

But Bobrovsky better be good the first five years of this deal (plausible) or otherwise this thing stinks.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #53
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
How does a 30 year old goalie that just had his worst season in 4 years get this contract? Ouch.
two Vezina Trophies and in the playoffs upsetting the best regular season team in decades...

Don't get me wrong... pretty gross contract, but other than Price no active goalie really has a better resume.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #54
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
This contract is definitely a little shocking from afar. But in reality the top players salaries have been trending up and I wouldn’t be surprised if in 5 years this AAV is in line with most of the top goalies. Florida just needed average goaltending last year and they would’ve made a lot of noise in the East. This deal will help with that for sure. Albeit expensively.
That's what they said about $6X6 up north. And maybe of those players had panned out they'd be right. But that's why term if kind of key especially with goalies. There's been a fair number of bad goalie contracts that teams have regretted.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #55
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I just don't think the league is used to consistent, high level goalies being paid fairly. Support wingers get like $6.5-$8mil now, yet a top level goalie goes a couple mil higher and it's unbelievable.

Carey Price was the first high level goalie to get paid accordingly and we'll see a bunch more in the coming years. It's arguably the most important position in hockey and the only reason for lower salaries is the unpredictable nature of goalies.

Bobrovski isn't really unpredictable and can make a non playoff team a playoff team and a playoff team a possible contender.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the issue with a $10 million goaltender as opposed to a $7 million 2nd line winger is that even when the winger is struggling he's going to play every game. If your starter is struggling and you have to go to the backup you have $10 million in sitting on the bench. Not every goaltender can maintain a high level and start 50+ games into his mid-30's and it's one thing to have Mike Smith splitting games with another goaltender at $5 million but to have a $10 million goaltender splitting games is hard to stomach. He's been pretty steady since joining the Jackets so matter of seeing if he can maintain his level of play but if he drops off it's going to be painful. Time will tell I guess.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: