Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
An h.264 stream at 1080p is nowhere near the bandwidth you are talking about, and visually would look as good to 99% of the population. It’s totally doable over broadband today, for people with mid to high tier broadband packages.

720p is already in place - buy an HD movie from iTunes today on an AppleTV and it streams just fine. We can quibble about whether what iTunes delivers today on ATV is true HD or not, but the point is that high quality video is being delivered over current broadband solutions.
"High Quality" being completely subjective, of course.

I never claimed you can't stream compressed, dithered 720p video with 2.0 audio over the internet. Youtube & iTunes do that just fine.

But a 2hr h264 1080p DTS movie, which I'd call high quality, will run 10GB or so. That works out to 11-12mbps sustained to stream and is well outside the ability of Shaw's primary consumer offering.

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily stream that same movie in 720p DTS, and that alone would justify $99. I'm just skeptical of AppleTV living up to the unofficial claims of 1080p video streaming without sacrificing a lot of quality.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'd happily stream that same movie in 720p DTS, and that alone would justify $99. I'm just skeptical of AppleTV living up to the unofficial claims of 1080p video streaming without sacrificing a lot of quality.
1080p specifies resolution, not bitrate

You are right though, a pure bluray quality stream is a ways off yet.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #23
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/a...n-another-dev/

That would be a killer feature. Kids in the middle of watching a movie or TV show on the Apple TV but you have to go out? Bring the iPad and they can continue exactly where they left off. If they extended this to apps that would be awesome. Watching something over Orb on your iPad or iPhone on the train ride to the Park and Ride on the commute home? Fire up Apple TV and resume where you left off. If they do this right the possibilities are incredible. Put a party or trivia style game on there and anyone who has an iPhone or iPod Touch instantly has a controller with their own individual display so no one else can see what they are doing.

If they do it right and the $99 price point is accurate than I think this thing could be a killer.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #24
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
1080p specifies resolution, not bitrate
1080p is over twice the resolution of 720p, so in otherwise equivalent video streams (like in the example you responded to), it requires twice the bandwidth.

But then, you already know this, so I'm not sure what you're trying to do here?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #25
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wanted apple tv turn into an actual branded apple TV set.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I really wanted apple tv turn into an actual branded apple TV set.
There was a rumour at some point along the way that that was going to happen.

Last edited by FanIn80; 05-31-2010 at 11:04 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #27
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
There was a rumour at some point along the way, that that was going to happen.
It would be pure win.

Especially if Apple didn't just brand a TV made by Sony, but actually made their own.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #28
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Apple TV- with a capacitive multitouch screen! To change channels just swipe the screen to the right!
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #29
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

At least the swipe would work smoothly without needing an after-market app.

Unlike Android.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #30
Prototype

Exp:

I don't know. There's something about this "cloud" idea that I don't like. There's a great example in this thread of stopping on the TV and starting on the iPad or the like, but other than that... I'd rather have local access to the file, and back it up myself.

I'm sure it's "safe" and all... but if I spend $20 on a movie or something... I want to have access to the file at any time, locally. If I'm renting, I don't really care, cause it's not really mine anyways.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #31
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
I don't know. There's something about this "cloud" idea that I don't like. There's a great example in this thread of stopping on the TV and starting on the iPad or the like, but other than that... I'd rather have local access to the file, and back it up myself.

I'm sure it's "safe" and all... but if I spend $20 on a movie or something... I want to have access to the file at any time, locally. If I'm renting, I don't really care, cause it's not really mine anyways.
if i had a box like this i would probably rent. kind of like shaw ppv without the suck.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #32
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post

You do own the movie, though. It's a tangible file that downloads onto your computer (or the HD inside the ATV). You can back that file up to your heart's content.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #33
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
You do own the movie, though. It's a tangible file that downloads onto your computer (or the HD inside the ATV). You can back that file up to your heart's content.
Not in the brave new world of the $99 cloud-connected AppleTV, I think that’s what was meant here. You buy, and it’s stored in the cloud for you to access on demand.

Cloud storage of digital assets will be an interesting mental hurdle and one I’m not sure I’m strong enough to get past just yet. Banks and money and credit and stocks are all pretty abstract “cloud” concepts, and people accept that. But it’s still a wild west for digital assets - maybe if there was some regulation that guaranteed I could get a copy of my data on disk if I wanted, I would be able to jump ship entirely into the cloud.

Ultimately I think Apple will go with a hybrid format where you can always stream a copy of purchased media from the cloud, and you can also download to iTunes on the mothermac if you want.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #34
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Oh I see what you mean. I skimmed over the article and missed the part about not having a tangible file in addition to the cloud.

What's interesting, is I'm the opposite. I have all these files from all the seasons of TV shows that I have bought through iTunes... and I wish I could just delete them all and watch them on-demand from Apple's servers.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #35
Prototype

Exp:

As far as I understand, having both... cloud, and local storage would be great. Best of both worlds. I could have it locally, and back it up if needed, but have it available on any format (iPad, iPhone, iWhatever) through the cloud.

The $99 price point is the most interesting part of all of this for me.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #36
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to be a believer in having a physical copy or file backed up somewhere that no one could take away. Now I'm the complete opposite.

I just don't give a ****, I had way too much crap in my house, old VHS, DVDs etc. They all end up collecting dust and becoming garbage anyways. I love just having iTunes or Shaw on Demand and renting or if I really love it buy it (if the price is right). No garbage laying around no worrying about putting it back in the right place. I know there's always going to be another format and I would just have to re-buy it. I was always so worried about it and in the end it didn't matter.

I just wish they would add more features to AppleTV, add more HD and add more content.

Last edited by The Ditch; 06-01-2010 at 10:18 AM.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #37
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm with The Ditch. I remember when the iPod first came out I figured I'd still buy the cd and just import to the mp3 player because having the physical media was important to me. Now that I look at an entire closet filled with old dvd's and cd's I find myself looking for new ways to rid my life of physical media. Cloud storage would be huge, but I wonder what I'd have to pay for it? My movie and tv library is ridiculously large.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #38
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one thing that disappointed me with the Apple TV was the delayed streaming. It takes 20-40 minutes to download enough of a rental before I can start watching it. There is no way I would want to wait to watch anything that I already owned.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #39
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The one thing that disappointed me with the Apple TV was the delayed streaming. It takes 20-40 minutes to download enough of a rental before I can start watching it. There is no way I would want to wait to watch anything that I already owned.
Hmmm, my parents is like a 30 sec delay then it goes, and that was a HD movie too.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #40
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Whoa really? I assumed it would be like a rental on iTunes - I can pretty much start watching their 720p content immediately once the download starts.