Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Don't "outsource" your emotions.

Quote:
Don't outsource your emotions. Don't cede control of them to something you have no control over.
I'm paraphrasing a bit, but this was advice I (and others) heard yesterday. In that context, it was regarding the stock market, and the advice continued on that you're hurting yourself by checking your stocks every day. The market is an emotional thing, and it's up and down all the time.

So it is with being a hockey fan it seems We love our team, and we ride the roller coaster of emotions during a game, during a road trip, during a season. I'm guilty as well, especially in the past, but try to be healthy people, it's just a game.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If we're taking ABBA songs, I prefer "Laying All Your Love On Me" with its chorus of "Don't Go Wasting Your Emotions," but this is good too.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If we're taking ABBA songs, I prefer "Laying All Your Love On Me" with its chorus of "Don't Go Wasting Your Emotions," but this is good too.
I prefer Aerosmith ...

dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Save the drama for you momma.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason I love sports is the emotional investment. What’s the point of being a fan if you aren’t emotionally invested ?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
The reason I love sports is the emotional investment. What’s the point of being a fan if you aren’t emotionally invested ?
One can be emotionally invested without the sky falling with every cloud.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I kept telling this to myself last year.

....Until I just stopped giving a #### completely and stopped watching games. Why torment myself?

I think from now on, I won't watch any games where Mike Smith plays.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
for me it's to watch people perform a sport you enjoy at the highest possible level

this means my outlet to get that is via the local hockey team. yeah i get invested in the games, but i'm not involved with the team whatsoever outside of giving them money for the privilege to observe the best hockey on the planet live

i won't lie and say big wins dont make me feel euphoric, or that horrible losses dont sting, but at the end of the day we are watching teenage strangers get paid millions of dollars to slap rubber around with sticks
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Honestly if you are 21 or older, and you get upset emotionally by a win or a loss, you need help.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #10
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Honestly if you are 21 or older, and you get upset emotionally by a win or a loss, you need help.
I need help I think.

Also, who gets upset by a win?
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I need help I think.

Also, who gets upset by a win?
Only happens when Mike Smith wins.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with checking your stocks everyday as long as you aren't freaking out when they go down.

And if you freak out from having money in the stock market when stocks tumble, get out, it's not for you.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #13
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I need help
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #14
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you DON'T get an emotional response, not sure why you would even watch.

I read something to the same idea, why we should call teams, them or they not ours or us etc.
If you're self aware enough, you know when your mind is being played or influenced, you then have a choice.
On the topic of sports teams, I came to the realization that its pointless to attempt to stop myself from feeling because it has a positive impact. The negative side is so minuscule it's a worthwhile mental investment.

Obviously, this has it's applicable situations and scenarios where we close ourselves off or choose not to feel, but when it is harmless, why put fourth an effort, why give a #### what people think. Yes I have an emotional connection with the Flames, I have a better day when they win, I get upset when they lose, but that does not change me so much that it will carry on or linger. Nor will it change the way I treat people throughout the day. If I didn't invest my emotions into the teams that I love, I wouldn't watch. I'm a highly competitive person and that bleeds into everything I do or watch. I want them to win. I care. If this is being immature then I will never grow up. If you think you're mature because you don't get invested, pat yourself on the back for me. I personally think growing up is the worst choice anyone can make. Assuming you're responsible and successful lol.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
If you DON'T get an emotional response, not sure why you would even watch.

I read something to the same idea, why we should call teams, them or they not ours or us etc.
If you're self aware enough, you know when your mind is being played or influenced, you then have a choice.
On the topic of sports teams, I came to the realization that its pointless to attempt to stop myself from feeling because it has a positive impact. The negative side is so minuscule it's a worthwhile mental investment.

Obviously, this has it's applicable situations and scenarios where we close ourselves off or choose not to feel, but when it is harmless, why put fourth an effort, why give a #### what people think. Yes I have an emotional connection with the Flames, I have a better day when they win, I get upset when they lose, but that does not change me so much that it will carry on or linger. Nor will it change the way I treat people throughout the day. If I didn't invest my emotions into the teams that I love, I wouldn't watch. I'm a highly competitive person and that bleeds into everything I do or watch. I want them to win. I care. If this is being immature then I will never grow up. If you think you're mature because you don't get invested, pat yourself on the back for me. I personally think growing up is the worst choice anyone can make. Assuming you're responsible and successful lol.
I'm not suggesting having *no* emotional connection, just be realistic and balanced, don't let wins (or especially losses) affect your day. Which it sounds like your approach.

As for the bolded, this was certainly not intended to be taken as such.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #16
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The only thing that ever makes me question "sports fandom" is the negative sides of emotional investment.

Any sport, any entertainment for that matter, should be something that's fun and brings you enjoyment. Even when the Flames lose, I still have fun, I still enjoy watching the game, the result is disappointing, but I get over it and move on to the next game.

If there's anything I wish more people did, it's not bringing other things to the game, and really just appreciate it for what it is. Remember it's supposed to be fun, and if it's something that makes you angry beyond a fleeting moment, that's probably not a healthy thing.

As someone who loves hockey and is a fan of the Flames, it's probably easier for me than it would be for someone who loves the Flames and is a fan of hockey.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #17
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing unhealthier than letting a hockey game bother you is letting how other fans react bother you.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why get emotional about something that you have absolutely no control over - ie - the outcome of a hockey game? We all do it to some extent, but it really doesn't make sense.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #19
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
One thing unhealthier than letting a hockey game bother you is letting how other fans react bother you.
Considering one consists of observing unhealthy behaviour and the other consists of observing a game, you have it backwards.

I know you're being facetious, but there are studies that show that people who get too deeply invested in fandom can not only lose their ability to empathize outside of their fandom community, but also have serious negative emotional side effects from changes in their experiences (a loss in a game, a character dying in a show, etc).

As I said, people should make sure they have a healthy relationship to their passions, and being bothered when you see an unhealthy relationship to a passion is certainly much healthier than engaging in the unhealthy relationship itself.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #20
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
Why get emotional about something that you have absolutely no control over - ie - the outcome of a hockey game? We all do it to some extent, but it really doesn't make sense.
I think its healthy. We are tribal animals, and I think sports fanaticism (within reason) is a healthy expression of it. You can of course, go overboard.
I don't watch hockey just to casually observe what happens when a bunch of millionaires I don't know pursue a piece of rubber around the ice. I watch it because its thrilling and that thrill is enhanced when I have an invested emotional interest in one side winning.
Think about a sport you don't watch -- that's what taking the emotion out of it means. You just wouldn't watch it.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post: