Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Activation of Shaw PVR

Hey guys,

Quick question, I'm supposed to be purchasing a Shaw HDPVR from someone on Kijiji and I don't want to get screwed or anything.

He claims the PVR is brand new in box and was purchased directly from Shaw but he's never activated them (claims to be an employee of Shaw and got them at a staff discount).

Anyway, how do I make sure I'm not getting screwed or if I take them off his hands and try to activate them Shaw doesn't deny me?

I was thinking, when I go to meet him we call Shaw and give them the serial # and make sure it's activate-able?

Any other ideas/tips?

Thanks!
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Call him and get the serial number of the box, and call it into shaw, they'll tell you for sure
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, they will ask for the serial number when you call to activate and will only decline if it is stolen- not sure what their policy is though on staff selling units.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Call him and get the serial number of the box, and call it into shaw, they'll tell you for sure
Yep (or email him). Before you meet with him. You'll save yourself a trip if it's not on the up and up.

I bought a used one from a member here - the serial numbers were provided to me as soon as I asked for them, spoke with Shaw to have them cleared (they also check to make sure they're not current rental units someone's trying to dump), done and dusted.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 AM   #5
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did the same thing a few months ago.

Like others have said, call Shaw with the serial. They will be able to tell you that it is a legit unit and that it is not a rental. I went a step further and had the seller call Shaw while I was at his house to deactivate the box from his name which he had no issues with. Kijiji is extremely sketchy but Shaw is pretty accommodating with regards to answering questions about the box if you can provide the serial.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did as you guys suggested,

Got the serial #'s, called Shaw had everything checked out and then when I met with the seller had him release the boxes to me and everything went really smoothly.

Thanks everyone!
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote