Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Windows 7 - Home Group sharing problem

Hi All,

So I re-setup a Windows 7 Home Group Network in my condo, among my main "Power PC", and "HTPC". Each has Win7 Ultimate.

I freely move media between the two, but more usually with the HTPC referencing "Shared" folders on the Power PC. I am the only user "Cam" on either machine.

About a week ago, I added an old hard drive to the Power PC tower, and then tried "Sharing" that additional drive "Big Media" on my Home Group Network, for the HTPC to access.

Well, now all of the Folders with the little "Lock" symbol within their icons, can no longer be viewed on the Home Group Network from my HTPC.

I've gone into the folder, and unclicked the radio button, that indicates it's "read" only.

Appreciate any help in rectifying this sharing problem.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ignore that Read-only button as it does not apply.

Go into the "Sharing" and "Security" folders, as that is where your problem will be. Assuming that old hard drive was from another computer, you will have to re-apply all of your security settings to it. Just set it all up again and hit apply, and it should fix everything.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You will likely need to take ownership, and then apply security.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753659.aspx

Set the owner to the main administrative user of the computer (likely your account) and then give permissions accordingly.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gentlemen

Appreciate the help so far. I unlocked the sharing privileges for the previously locked folders on my main "E: Data" drive. By updating the read/write etc; for my profile

Unfortunately, I am still unable to share the hard drive that I added a week or so ago. "G: Big Media" this is the error I receive. I did change the owner of the drive to myself & a snapshot of the owner tab.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I receive a "G:\bootmgr access is denied" error, when I attempt to add more Permissions for users under Advanced Sharing.

Ok this seems to be alot more advanced that I originally thought.
http://www.sevenforums.com/system-se...le-drives.html
Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a problem with your firewall, which needs to be on to do sharing. Check this thread for some things you can try:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...n-sharing.html

What will likely work is just restoring firewall defaults and making sure it is turned on, but that might break some other things you got going on.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Sounds like a problem with your firewall, which needs to be on to do sharing. Check this thread for some things you can try:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...n-sharing.html

What will likely work is just restoring firewall defaults and making sure it is turned on, but that might break some other things you got going on.
Thanks Rathji.

Turn it back On? Ok - I'll try that.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turned on Firewall
Turned off MSE
Installed ESET.
Performed scan, found viruses and corrected-- ones that MSE did not identify.

Then.. tried sharing the "G: Big Media" drive once again. No luck

Then tried sharing the Video folder.

Again no luck.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahh -- I see I skipped a step.

Quote:
If the Base Filtering Engine entry is present, please provide an installation error log to Customer Care to help resolve your issue. If the Base Filtering Engine entry is missing, follow the instructions from Part II below.
Following the steps to submit the log:
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN406

I am stuck on Part 2 - Step 2.
Quote:
II. Run the installation with the special parameter and create the ESET install.log file
  1. Click Start Run. The Run window will be displayed (Microsoft Vista users: Click Start and then type Run in the Start Search box and press ENTER).
  2. Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder containing the .msi install file (e.g., eav_nt32_ENU.msi). Select All Files from the Files of type drop-down menu. Double-click the .msi install file.
  3. The install path will be inserted into the Run window. Type (space) /lvx* install.log at the end of the install path, and click OK (See Figure 1-2 below).
I cannot find this .msi install file. No idea which folder it is in.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Help? I'll donate $25 to yourself or your favorite charity if you can fix this for me
Old 11-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #11
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are looking for the install file, not the program executable, so the easiest way would just be to download it here, either with the "Already Purchased" or "Free Trial" button:

http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/
Old 11-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm confused. The downloads on this page http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/, are both executable files. (.exe)
Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, I'm no computer guru, so the following may be useless, but I set up a Homegroup for sharing folders on my main PC with my Surface, and I think I'm doing it in a different way.... Maybe....

I simply right-click the folder with the lock icon, go down to the "Share with" option (i.e. not down to "Properties"), and select "Homegroup (Read/Write)". The lock symbol disappears, and it shows up in the Videos directory for my PC in my Homegroup directory on my Surface.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep that works for my other data --- but this one drive was added to the PC, and despite my username and administrator now owning the rights to the drive, it persists at being unshare-able.

So frustrating.

Last edited by cam_wmh; 11-28-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I'm confused. The downloads on this page http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/, are both executable files. (.exe)
ok, have you tried searching in your C:\ drive for the msi you are looking for? it will take a while since it isn't all indexed.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to give an update here. I downloaded a "take ownership" utility, that is to give absolute control to the current user/administrator, of which ever folder you apply to.

That still didn't work.

So I'll be moving all the data to a new drive, and formatting the problematic one.

Thanks for any & all help nonetheless.