Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Polaroid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotionExplosion View Post
How do you like them, personally?
I used to be with rogers for quite a long time before I moved to wind last year. Wind is pretty much the same as rogers in terms of call/text quality, I didn't really notice a difference when I moved. The internet speeds are obviously slower, but I don't mind as I can wait an extra second for a webpage to load (also video streaming works perfectly fine).

Their customer service is really great, they don't pressurize you, are not rude and you don't have to talk to multiple people before leaving/changing something (Ahem rogers ).

I like wind a lot, as I get the more features/services (with the same quality) than I got on rogers, but for less of a price.

Quote:
Do you lose service often?
I have never lost service in Calgary, except for when i'm at the University of Calgary (which I heard is due to signal strength?). But if you go outside the city limits of Calgary (I believe i had one bar at cross-iron mills), you lose bars and ultimately go on roaming.

Quote:
Do you have any regrets with Wind?
The only regrets that I have with Wind is that the 1700/2100 spectrum really limits what phones you can use for wind. With the nexus phones being able to work on their network and Samsung making galaxy variants that work on wind, this is hardly a problem anymore.

Also, I wish they would get better reception at the UofC where I am usually, but that is not really their fault, and I also heard that they might be able to fix that by winning the 700Mhz auction (just a rumor though)?

At the end of the day, I would still choose Wind over the big 3, as the savings I am getting from being with wind instead of rogers ($30 vs $90), more than makes up for the small/remediable regrets I have with Wind.

EDIT: This is just my opinion though
Polaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polaroid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
LotionExplosion
Draft Pick

Your opinion is valuable. Everyone I've talked to says Wind is a really awesome company, but that's only about 2 people excluding you.. I think I'll be picking up a Note 3 with Wind tomorrow, thanks a bunch. I have no reason to stick with my Galaxy S2 on a $70 plan when I can get better for $30!
LotionExplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I undestand with Wind that you have to be in a zone to use data and talk, but does virgin work like this, or is it more like the big 3?
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
So I undestand with Wind that you have to be in a zone to use data and talk, but does virgin work like this, or is it more like the big 3?
The same as the Big 3, coverage across Canada.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #25
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Geez, whats the deal with the massive price difference then? $20/month is pretty significant, am I missing something in the comparison?
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Geez, whats the deal with the massive price difference then? $20/month is pretty significant, am I missing something in the comparison?
Basically that pays for your extra "roaming" rates when you are outside of a Wind zone so if you expect to travel outside your city and use data/voice constantly in a place like Banff then you are better off not going with Wind. If almost all the time you are in the city, then Wind is your answer.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #27
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ordered the Nexus 5 last week and got noticed that they shipped it Monday evening. Since my contract has been long over i`m looking to see what kind of plan I can get. I did talk to Rogers and they offered unlimited talk, and text, video and picture messaging with 2 gb of data for $65 after bringing own device, which is the same as they offer to new customers, been with Rogers for the past 10 years so thought they`d at least give me some benefits for being a long time customer. I`m not sure I want to pay that much. So went to wireless wave to get advice on what they`d suggest and they said to go with Fido`s or Virgin`s $50-$5 for 1000 daytime minutes and unlimited evenings and weekends with 1GB of data. I`m leaning towards switching to Fido for the savings as I`m not sure the extra GB is worth the extra $20 a month I`d have to pay with Rogers. Curious to see what other people got for plans after getting their phone.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Did you call Rogers retentions? Basically call up, tell them you are getting an unlocked phone, and ask if there is something you need to do with Rogers to port your number over to Wind. When they tell you Wind is city-wide coverage only; or that Wind has dead zones, be ready with answers like "I rarely go out of town" or "my wife/ room mate has Wind and they have never had an issue."

Tell them how many minutes you want, what features, and how much data. Keep in mind Wind's fair use is 5 GB, so tell them you want 5 GB. Wind's price with VM is $48; ask if they can match it.

Just don't actually cancel your plan yet, as you will lose your number. But playing dumb about calling to ask about porting sounds like a great way to get through the the people who can do something more for you.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #29
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just bumping this as I'm close to pulling the trigger. Buying the phone (and case, and charger) outright is daunting. I think I would want to get an extra charger so I have one at the office and one at home. I could get by without the spare one, but the wireless one seems like a good solution for home.

I won't be storing music on the phone, and may only occasionally have a movie on there to play. As such, would 32 GB just be overkill, or would the 16 GB run out too easily?

Lastly, it all seems like kind of a waste given the near non-reception I get at the new office building. 700 MHz can't come fast enough! I'm wondering whether just continuing to pay out the tab on the old BB and waiting for the new spectrum to come online before jumping onto a new phone might be the best bet. Surely there will be even better phones around in 12-18 months?

The move just seems daunting.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a Nexus 5 and promptly switched from Bell to Wind. I technically live in the 'fringe' of their network but am pulling about 3mbps.

I cancelled my Bell account and my Telus home phone account and will be approximately $90 to the good a month depending on roaming.
DoubleK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #31
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can you turn off auto network selection on the Nexus 5? It's something I do on my BB so it doesn't pick up the Rogers-Away network when I can't get a good connection to Wind-Home.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #32
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Can you turn off auto network selection on the Nexus 5? It's something I do on my BB so it doesn't pick up the Rogers-Away network when I can't get a good connection to Wind-Home.
You can choose it by going to settings>More (Wireless & networks)>Mobile Networks>network Operators

Hope that helps
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #33
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm currently having issues with this.

If I lose Wind Coverage I have to manually go back in and change this setting.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #34
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My contract with Bell expires in February and I have been thinking about switching over to Wind once it is up. At first glance, Wind seems to be the obvious choice... 30$/month plans and no contract, compared to 70$/month with a 2 year contract - however I need a phone upgrade as well, and it looks like I would have to pay a lot upfront for the price of the phone if I go with Wind, compared to saving a few hundred bucks if I sign a 2 year contract with Bell.

With Wind, under the 30$/month plan I'm only eligible to charge up to 100$ (as I understand) off the price of the phone with WindTab - whereas I can save 500$ or so with Bell (looking at the price of the Samsung S4) by signing that 2 year contract. In the long run Wind is still cheaper, but for the first year or so I end up paying 500$ more upfront in order to save 40$/month?

Am I missing something, or is Wind not quite as good as a deal as I thought? Not sure if its worth the limited networks et al, for what seems to be less than significant savings.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #35
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe it's $200 off a device for the $30 plan. So basically you're paying $300 more up front to save $960 in monthly costs over 2 years.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #36
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The S4 is $600 on Wind's $30 plan. Link
Total cost of a 2 year term- $1320

Bell charges $50, but you have to go with $70 per month. Total cost of a 2 year term- $1730.

While that is saving $400, that's about $16 per month. However you are concerned about the travel limitations; so you have to ask if that's worth it. We put my son on a Wind plan, but for most of the time he's out of the city- he's with us and can tether to our data.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #37
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

So looking at Winds coverage, I would be roaming when I am in Airdrie, Cochrane or Okotoks? That is crazy
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #38
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pulled the trigger and ordered the Nexus 5. Hope the sim card swap goes as smoothly as suggested ITT.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #39
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It arrived today. And it is glorious. I am going to the nearest Wind store tomorrow for my micro sim.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #40
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It arrived today. And it is glorious. I am going to the nearest Wind store tomorrow for my micro sim.
I didn't have to pay for a SIM. Sometimes reception indoors is challenging, but otherwise I've been pretty impressed with Wind coverage.