Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
LotionExplosion
Draft Pick

Default Comparing Cell Plans- Nexus 5 [Split]

So I was thinking of getting a Nexus 5, but I find it hard to justify when all the cell phone plans from the big 3 in Calgary are $70 for 250MB of data and texting/calling. The only alternatives I've found are Wind and Mobilicity ($30 for the same or better features), but I've heard bad things about them. Anyone with first hand experience with either or?

Rogers
Telus
Bell

For all of the above, you're looking at $70/m for 250MB of data unless you bring in your own device. In that case, I'd highly recommend browsing their plan details to find one that suits you. I've been currently looking at Wind but I've heard mixed results. If their service is really alright in Calgary than I'll probably end up with them. Unfortunately, my old Galaxy S2 doesn't use the same frequency band that they do, so I'm unable to do some testing of my own until I fully commit.

Last edited by LotionExplosion; 11-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.
LotionExplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Decided this was worthy of it's own thread.

Basically there are plans with the Big 3 that are $55-60 that include 500MB-1GB of data. Having said that I got a plan on Wind for my son, and have no complaints at all. Wind seems to have better coverage in the city than Mobilicity; or at least they cover Copperfield whereas Mobilicity doesn't.

The downside with Wind et al is when you travel out of the city. For my son he is almost always with me when he leaves the city, so he can use my cell data. Others say that for the $20-30 savings per month, it makes up for the roaming charges.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

How much are the roaming charges for Wind outside the city?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

US/Canada Roaming - 20˘/min: When outside a WIND Zone, receive a call or make a call to anywhere in Canada or the US– no extra long-distance charges apply.

US/Canada Texting – 15˘/text: Send a text message to anywhere in Canada or the U.S. while you’re outside a WIND Zone. Receiving text messages is always free.

Data Roaming - $1/MB: Stay connected while traveling anywhere in Canada or the U.S. with one low flat rate for data.

http://faqs.windmobile.ca/customer/p...with-my-phone-
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of options with a Nexus 5 due to potential Bring your own device savings.

For example you could realistically get Unlimited Nationwide Calling, Text, 2GB of Data with TELUS or Rogers for $65.

Even better deal with the value brands. With Koodo you can get 10% off when you Bring your own device, means you can pay $54 and get Unlimited NW Calling, Text, 2GB of data for $54.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
US/Canada Roaming - 20˘/min: When outside a WIND Zone, receive a call or make a call to anywhere in Canada or the US– no extra long-distance charges apply.

US/Canada Texting – 15˘/text: Send a text message to anywhere in Canada or the U.S. while you’re outside a WIND Zone. Receiving text messages is always free.

Data Roaming - $1/MB: Stay connected while traveling anywhere in Canada or the U.S. with one low flat rate for data.

http://faqs.windmobile.ca/customer/p...with-my-phone-
Jesus, raping the customer with the same roaming rates as international. That erases any curiosity about possibly switching for me
Old 11-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Jesus, raping the customer with the same roaming rates as international. That erases any curiosity about possibly switching for me
I'd say the rates are pretty fair. Compare this to Rogers, Bell or Telus with for US roaming rates
$1.45/Min
$0.75/Txt
$6.00/MB

Bad thing is Wind's coverage is so sparse that in Canada it's still "roaming" in places like Banff. I imagine they aren't making anywhere near as much as Robellus on their roaming rates and are mostly just passing on the cost of what they get charged for using other carriers services which they don't have much control over.

Last edited by FlameOn; 11-12-2013 at 02:46 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
LotionExplosion
Draft Pick

That's quite interesting, thanks for the heads up. I'm currently looking at my options and Wind seems to be the obvious choice. Is there any possibility you could do a speedtest (you can get it through the app store) on your son's phone? On Virgin's network I'm currently getting 6-8Mbps down and 3.5Mbps up.

If Wind has decent speeds, I see no reason to stay with Virgin when I can save upwards of $30 monthly.

Edit: Just wanted to mention that plan pricing has changed since the 2 year contract change has been put into effect. I'll post the big 3 plan prices in my original post in a few minutes.

Last edited by LotionExplosion; 11-12-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

i'm looking to switch from fido to wind, this december as my contract expired in nov. fido is allowing me to go month to month for as long as i need, (they're under the impression i may re-sign my contract once they get the nexus 5). my contract was 6 gigs of data for $30 plus a $5 loyalty discount plus whatever talk plan i wanted with a $5 loyalty discount, and they've put a note on my account to grandfather that into my next contract. could i sell that off to someone and still switch my # to wind?

Last edited by smoothpops; 11-12-2013 at 04:47 PM.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
Polaroid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotionExplosion View Post
Is there any possibility you could do a speedtest
Here is the speed that I am getting on a Nexus 4 on Wind.

Spoiler for size.
Spoiler!
Polaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I want to buy an unlocked Nexus 5 right now and use it on my existing Wind plan, what's my best plan of attack?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
If I want to buy an unlocked Nexus 5 right now and use it on my existing Wind plan, what's my best plan of attack?
Order it from it right from Google Play online, wait for it to arrive then just take the sim out of your current phone and put it into the Nexus 5.

Nexus phones are comparable to any of the top phones on the market but at half the cost, they truly allow wireless freedom and that's why I'm such a big fan. I'd avoid buying it from any carrier as they tend to mark up the phone and avoid buying it online from scam artists who bought it with the sole intenion of flipping it for a few more bucks.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 11-12-2013 at 06:44 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I wouldn't even need to involve Wind? Go to a store or notify them or anything? It sounds almost...too easy.

Wouldn't Wind want me to pay my WindTab on my existing device at least?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So I wouldn't even need to involve Wind? Go to a store or notify them or anything? It sounds almost...too easy.
Pretty much.

What's your current phone? At most you might have to swap out sim cards if you aren't currently using a device that has a micro Sim but if you are... that's all there is to it.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Pretty much.

What's your current phone? At most you might have to swap out sim cards if you aren't currently using a device that has a micro Sim but if you are... that's all there is to it.
It's a Blackberry Curve 9360

Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's a Blackberry Curve 9360
Oh boy....

That uses a normal sized sim card so you'd just have to go to a Wind, tell them you want to swap out your normal sim for a micro sim, I think it's ten bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
Polaroid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Oh boy....

That uses a normal sized sim card so you'd just have to go to a Wind, tell them you want to swap out your normal sim for a micro sim, I think it's ten bucks.
Or you can get the sim card cut into a micro sim card. Its usually around $1.
Polaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
LotionExplosion
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
Here is the speed that I am getting on a Nexus 4 on Wind.

Spoiler for size.
Spoiler!
Hey Polaroid, thanks a bunch for the pic! Wind seems like the better option every time I hear about it. How do you like them, personally? Do you lose service often? Do you have any regrets with Wind? I'm actually suddenly thinking of going for a Note 3 with Wind for 2 years, and before I seal the deal I wouldn't mind hearing some more opinions.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
Or you can get the sim card cut into a micro sim card. Its usually around $1.
Or cut it yourself, which is what I did with mine

The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Right now Virgin has a plan $65 unlimited calling canada wide. Unlimited texting including international texting and 2gb of data.

And you can get the nexus 5 for $149 with that plan on a 2 year plan.

I'm going to use that as my negotiating plan when I talk to telus, or just switch.

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/...l?itcid=LP:143

Last edited by TjRhythmic; 11-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TjRhythmic For This Useful Post: