Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #21
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

One off the top of my head. The day Battlefield 2 released I went over to my friend's house with another buddy and our PCs. We were playing on Sharqi Peninsula as the MEC and, as a squad, managed to sneak behind the American lines all the way to their starting spawn area. We kill a few guys and then it happens. Their Black Hawk spawns. We gun down a guy running for it and take the chopper for ourselves. We then proceed to fly around the map killing everything. I remember it being really intense too. Doing low passes through the construction site. US players scrambling through various structures with rockets and we're madly calling out positions so my friend can give us better firing angles. We finished that round as the top 3 players in the game. Great times.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #22
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

For about 5 months, the winter after I graduated high school, I more or less lived at my friends parents house. I worked for my mom on Tuesdays, helping her open up shop for the week. My friend had ski patrol on Tuesdays as well. Every other day we stayed up until morning playing a variety of video games. His family; mom, dad, and two younger brothers, would get up around 7 or 8 to go to work and school. Around that time we would go upstairs and start cooking ridiculous breakfasts for them. We would scramble eggs with cheese and salsa, fry bacon and ham steaks, cook ramen noodles, and steam various veggies like broccoli and carrots. We would then take 14" tortilla wraps and make these epic breakfast wraps for everyone. They were delicious, if not terribly salty. We would then go back downstairs to play more Pokémon or COD: 4 or even the Sims. Finally we would fall asleep around 10, then wake up when his brothers got home from school and do it all again. Around 1 or 2 AM we would start hitting the wall, so to speak, so we would drive to the next town 15 minutes downhill from us to go to 7-11 to grab energy drinks and terrible, terrible junk food.

I got pretty good at Call of Duty that winter. We prestige leveled a couple of times, but we had every gun, attachment, and skin unlocked. It wasn't uncommon for me to have a 10:1 K ratio. Sadly COD started getting easier and easier from that point on, so the terrible noobs started getting more and more kills. I blame the noob toob.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #23
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Playing the first NHL Hockey on Genesis with my friend Shane. So much fun.
Probably the most excited I have ever been was when NHL was finally in at my local video game rental place. I had been trying for weeks, calling daily, and finally it was in. Oh man, I made my mom drop everything and rush me over to the store, I don't think I left my basement video game area for the next three days, haha.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #24
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Beating Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3.

But #2 was the most satisfying.
(Like most #2's...)
Man, the two I was coming in to post. 1 was the most satisfying for me as I was younger and it took me a lot longer to do.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #25
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

An old school memory, escaping UNATCO headquarters for the first time in Deus Ex.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #26
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing a top level (rank 12 vs rank 8 I believe) 16v16 TWL ladder match in BF1942 on Iwo Jima, I was typically a designated tanker in my clan. That day however, the battleship driver was out sick, and that was one of my alt positions.

Long story short, I absolutely decimated every position the enemy held, and kept the battleship afloat singlehandedly by rotating through turret positions during the main gun cooldowns (allowing us to have 2 extra attackers) and taking down no less than a dozen attacking aircraft, while scoring 54 ground kills through the match via naval artillery.

It's nice dominating at a high level of play sometimes, rather than being a pubstar. I really don't have time for super-organized clan play anymore tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #27
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Playing a top level (rank 12 vs rank 8 I believe) 16v16 TWL ladder match in BF1942 on Iwo Jima, I was typically a designated tanker in my clan. That day however, the battleship driver was out sick, and that was one of my alt positions.

Long story short, I absolutely decimated every position the enemy held, and kept the battleship afloat singlehandedly by rotating through turret positions during the main gun cooldowns (allowing us to have 2 extra attackers) and taking down no less than a dozen attacking aircraft, while scoring 54 ground kills through the match via naval artillery.

It's nice dominating at a high level of play sometimes, rather than being a pubstar. I really don't have time for super-organized clan play anymore tho.
This reminds me of when I used to play Day of Defeat competatively in Battle for Europe.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #28
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing Final Doom came out on PS1 (Winter of 96), we hooked up two TV's and Playstations together and played for death match for days on end.

Good times.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #29
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Beating Super Spike V'Ball (NES) with my brother.

Hours and Hours of Super Mario Kart.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You are Darth Reven

Oh and in Battlefield three setting myself up as a door gunner in a helicopter, we're mowing people down like a vengeful harvester from god, people are dying left right and center. The pilot pulls up on the collective and I look at the top of a building and there's a lone guy standing there with a pistol. I look at him, he looks at me, I let go a stream of lead he shoots me between the eyes with the greatest shot I've ever scene.

Yeah I was dead, but it was worth it.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #31
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I can't believe I forgot about Temple/Grenade Launchers in Goldeneye.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shadow of the Colossus - I think it's the fourth or fifth Colossus you fight, it's a giant bird - it swoops down at you and you jump on and are taken up into the sky, particle effects flying past you, epic music ramping up as your character barely hangs on and this giant bird tries to shake you off. Really re-defined what I expect from games from an experiential standpoint.

Star Fox 64 - When I FINALLY completed my one and only run on the 'Hard' path way back in the day. Probably beat that game 100 times but only once on the hard path.

The Last of Us - The final scene running with Ellie through the hospital, calling back to the game's introduction. Just a rare, emotional moment that game's rarely achieve, particularly in playable scenes.

Elite Beat Agents - Beating it on very hard. Probably attempted it 200 times and almost threw my DS across the room in victory when I made it.

Journey - All of it -- the first time you play through that game just do the whole thing start to finish. An experience.

LittleBigPlanet 2 - playing this for the first time with my girlfriend (who is now my wife). She didn't like video games and didn't play them until I introduced her to LBP - just the simplicity and the fun and seeing someone experience games like how I used to when I didn't care about story or graphics and just having fun -- it was a blast and now we play games together all the time.

There's LOTS more for me, particularly from old school stuff, then I could ever possibly list. Those are some that stick out from more recent memory.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #33
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Best moment ever - my buddy and I beating Super Contra in a video arcade. The version in our arcade was japanese, the only words we could make out is "Super" and "Konami".

If we had all of the quarters we dropped in that machine we could have each bought one. There was a crowd of about 25 people watching when we beat it, totally felt like a rockstar. We had every top score on the machine, no one else played it due to it's difficulty, you had to have two players working together to do anything.

Totally worth it.
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #34
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vanilla WoW in general was such a game changer for me. Even each new zone I visited on that long trek from level 1 to 60 was amazing, riding a griffin for the first time, getting my first mount or my first horde sighting and subsequent PVP match. It's going to take a monumental title to beat those experiences.

That being said - the most memorable part of the game was taking the boat into the Howling Fjord and the music they played was pretty goddamn cool.

Last edited by Coys1882; 10-29-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #35
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

The first level of Saints Row 4... just when the music starts.

I don't think I've had to pause a game because of laughter before.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I can't believe I forgot about Temple/Grenade Launchers in Goldeneye.
I'm more of a fan playing in the Temple with proximity mines and License to Kill. Or slappers.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #37
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
I'm more of a fan playing in the Temple with proximity mines and License to Kill. Or slappers.
Grenade Launchers, Liscense to Kill, Archives lol. We used to take one of those science project tri-fold boards and tape it down the center of the TV. 2 vs 2 no radar.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You are Darth Reven
My absolute favorite game of all time. So many excellent moments there. Malak was the original 'Meatbag'. Forcing Juhani to the light side. Joining Bastila on the dark side.

There has only ever been one game that has made me feel sick and terrible and ashamed of myself. It was KotOR. When you return to the Ebon Hawk on the unknown planet, dark side. Forcing Zaalbar to kill Mission, then killing him after too. I had to put the controller down and walk away. I was almost in tears.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #39
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

GTA Vice City - being over at my buddy's, drinking sodas and just free roaming, listening to the awesome soundtrack, hitting jumps and causing mayhem, and laughing our butts off about it. Specifically the jump over the water by the nightclub, or setting up a rampage outside the stadium, and using its natural protection to see how long you could stay alive from the cops. Funny how long we kept that up for before actually even starting story mode. It's the game that got me into the GTA series.

Street Fighter II - finally beating M. Bison for the first time. Cheapest fighter ever.

Madden / EA NHL tournaments - while growing up, getting together with friends, grabbing some paper and drawing up a huge hockey tournament, complete with draft order for team picks. Then as I got a little older, doing the same with a couple buddies in Madden, in what we dubbed the "Basement Bowl". Loved being at someone's house with a bunch of people, pre-gaming before the bar and playing either NHL or Madden. I could tell I was getting too old for the club scene in recent years when my favourite part of the night had become those pre-game tournaments.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #40
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite gaming moments involve Battlefield and playing with my cousin. Back in the the BF2 Demo (Gulf of Oman map) my cousin was driving a cheap and I was in the gun and we would just drive around the map causing havoc. Eventually we went to the MEC base (we were the US) and spent a good while running over/shooting everyone who spawned there. Eventually we decided it was time to leave and as we were booking it down the runway to get out of there I looked back and saw a couple cheaps/tanks/ATCs/and a jet chasing us trying to shoot us. We made it out of there
The other one was probably about 6 months ago playing Battlefield P4F (again with my cousin). I'm in a tank and just decide to shoot straight up in the air for no good reason. I end up hitting my cousin who was in a jet. It was awesome.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote