Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #21
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
And that's the kicker. $400 versus a $229 Nexus 7.
There are $139 Kindle Fire HDs now too that are pretty popular around here especially for kids.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

no apple tv update I am choked!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

going to be interesting see how the new Nexus 10 will stack up with the iPad Air (assuming the rumors are true about Google releasing an update in the near future)
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way too expensive for the Ipad mini retina. You can get a 32 GB Nexus 7 for $269. Again, just not seeing the value in a lot of Apple products, particularly on the iOS side of things.

I like the Mavericks announcement though, looking forward to trying it on my Macbook Air.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #25
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Way too expensive for the Ipad mini retina. You can get a 32 GB Nexus 7 for $269. Again, just not seeing the value in a lot of Apple products, particularly on the iOS side of things.

I like the Mavericks announcement though, looking forward to trying it on my Macbook Air.
App Ecosystem, free stuff like iWork, iOS updates in the long term? Don't get me wrong, I think $400 for an iPad 2 in 2013 is kinda silly, but there's still plenty of reasons an iPad is a great choice.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post

as per always Apple doesn't care about value and will never offer it. They care about you being stuck in an ecosystem and not leaving. I would get the iPad mini even though it is more expensive because it will play so incredibly nice with all my other apple junk when the nexus won't.

Lots of people don't see the small values of having the one ecosystem. Since having a baby photostream makes my life incredibly easy. Sure I could use flickr or instagram but I know the babies grandparents and uncles and aunts don't know how to use that. They do know how to click the red notification button and see the new adorable pictures.

I know for this reason alone my immediate family who are not tech savvy will never buy a nexus tablet over an iPad and this is exact;y what Apple wants!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #27
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The price point of the retina mini is also probably designed to help encourage people considering it to just to plop down the extra hundred bucks and get the iPad Air ( of course mini will still win out if overall size is a big concern)

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-22-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't fully realize that it's 30% lighter - impressive. (Missed tracking the event while it was live).

EDIT: And 20% thinner.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/ipad-air-hands-on/

And while the new tablet is, in fact, slimmer than its predecessor by around 20-percent or so, it's not really immediately apparently until you put the iPad up against its older sibling. Was is apparently, however, is the weight. As its name implies, this guy is light -- impressively so at one pound (down from 1.4), from the first second you pick it up -- a fact that'll come in handy when you're getting the most out of that 10 hour battery.

And while Apple's done an impressive job slimming the tablet down and taking off nearly half a pound, it doesn't feel cheap -- it's an Apple product, after all.

Last edited by chemgear; 10-22-2013 at 01:12 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm, no fingerprint sensor - too bad. But not a deal breaker.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Already put in an order for a new 13" rMBP. The 8/256GB model. Finally replacing my Mid-2010 11" MBA.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weight decrease on the regular size Ipad (470g) is going to be a big feature if you need that screen size.

Having a 10" Android tablet for a couple weeks a few years ago (original Galaxy Tab, and then the 2nd Gen Asus Transformer), I returned it pretty quick too cumbersome.

Only until this year when the Sony Tablet Z came out (495g, but it's a bigger screen), and was sold when picking the thing up and could hold comfortable in one hand, did I get another tablet that size.

We'll see what Google can do with the Nexus 10, but with something that size, the lighter the better given the other bigger dimensions.

Otherwise, if comparing Apples to Apples, the new Mini might be a better bet over the bigger one, with that PPI, and save $100.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #32
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Too bad fingerprint scanner didn't make it into the iPad... I'm happy I'm not in the market for a new one or that would sting a little (the scanner on the iPhone 5s that I played with was great).

I have the odd ability to not notice a huge difference in retina screens, so admittedly that $300 iPad mini is a little tempting.

I love that Garageband has that drummer feature. I was about 12 hours away from buying Logic Pro for that exact feature. My indecision saved me $200!
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #33
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion this is a precursor to them announcing an iPad Pro next year.

Allows them to follow the branding precident they created with the Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro.

iPad Pro will be heavier, bulkier, probably will have the keyboard attachment, and might be Apple's take on professional touchscreen computing.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-22-2013 at 02:16 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #34
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Will the new Macbook pro's be available in store today?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #37
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Will the new Macbook pro's be available in store today?
According to Apple's press release the new Macbook Pros are available today on their website, at Apple Stores, and select authorized re-sellers.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #38
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

What are the prices of the old MacBook pros?

I know someone that bought one this weekend. Do they ever do a price match or anything? It would be really crappy to have paid $200 more for an inferior machine.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #39
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
What are the prices of the old MacBook pros?

I know someone that bought one this weekend. Do they ever do a price match or anything? It would be really crappy to have paid $200 more for an inferior machine.
Well I believe if they bought it from Apple they have 14 calendar days to return it anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #40
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
as per always Apple doesn't care about value and will never offer it. They care about you being stuck in an ecosystem and not leaving. I would get the iPad mini even though it is more expensive because it will play so incredibly nice with all my other apple junk when the nexus won't.

Lots of people don't see the small values of having the one ecosystem. Since having a baby photostream makes my life incredibly easy. Sure I could use flickr or instagram but I know the babies grandparents and uncles and aunts don't know how to use that. They do know how to click the red notification button and see the new adorable pictures.

I know for this reason alone my immediate family who are not tech savvy will never buy a nexus tablet over an iPad and this is exact;y what Apple wants!

Yeah, that stuff is all awesome.

But Google Nexus 7 32 GB - $269 CDN, Apple Ipad Mini Retina 32 GB - $519 CDN.

Is the ecosystem really worth a whopping $250 price difference? You could just about buy 2 Nexus 7's for the price of one Ipad mini.

I've owned a lot of apple products, including Ipads, and it just seems incredibly unreasonable to me, especially given that competing products are now very good and very well reviewed.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 10-22-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote