Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So the consensus is that the lossless audio stuff isn't at all noticeable? I get that the systems are 2.1 and so can't take full advantage, but I would've thought the simple fact that it's uncompressed audio would lead to higher quality sound.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

The nature of it being a soundbar that's under $500 retail means the speaker quality will affect your sound experience far more than compressed/uncompressed audio (to a degree of course).

Though, once you get into the $1000+ range, they aren't soundbars anymore. They're "PowerBar"s and "Surround Speaker Bar"s, or Yamaha's apparently super awesome "Digital Sound Projector".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Typically they have all the features of a mid-range receiver. Usually about 5-15 ambient presets, 5.1 "Stereo", adjustable levels for all "channels". Likely the only things missing are GUI setups for speaker distances (for obvious reasons), extensive frequency/equalizer per channel beyond treble/bass/mid sliders (though some of the more expensive soundbars do have at least an 8-band for each channel), and LFE manipulation.
The more expensive soundbars may have these options but not at the $200 level.

The Samsung and LG don't have anything like this as far as I have seen. You can only switch between presets and subwoofer volume.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The more expensive soundbars may have these options but not at the $200 level.

The Samsung and LG don't have anything like this as far as I have seen. You can only switch between presets and subwoofer volume.
It's possible my view is tinted because I got my Sony for $130 as a floor model, not sure how much the retail on it was. Though Sony does tend to have a lot of config options on their products.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can you clarify this? Digital is the only thing optical SP/DIF can output. It's probably just a TV audio output setting you are missing.

Yeah, sorry I meant Dolby Digital.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #26
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the 3 year old Sony sound bar, works really well for TV and some movie watching. So much so that we rarely use our Energy Take Classic home theatre.

I have a Sony TV so I enjoy the sync feature. I have used the Yamaha high end one and I have to say they sound compatible for everyday use. However, I think room size and setup will have an impact. A perfect square room is always best so the sound can reflect off the walls for virtual sound surround. I am missing a wall as it joins the kitchen and I have never got this effect unfortunately.

Bottom line for $275 its a great upgrade over tv speakers which are awful.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I picked this one up the other day and I am very happy with it:
Yamaha digital sound projector ysp2200
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...daa7be2973en02

It is still on sale too...$400 off...sale ends January 3rd.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #28
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Remember that soundbars are all 2.1 sound systems.
So, serious question - why not go with a 2.1 system? I've seen sound bars well over the $1k range - at that point would it not make sense to get a half-decent amp and 2.1 speakers? I'm not trying to be snarky, just trying to understand the hype is around sound bars.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
So, serious question - why not go with a 2.1 system? I've seen sound bars well over the $1k range - at that point would it not make sense to get a half-decent amp and 2.1 speakers? I'm not trying to be snarky, just trying to understand the hype is around sound bars.
Im using a soundbar in my bedroom. I want a nice tight package with as few cables as possible. The sound bar sits nicely under my tv...it's one piece...and sounds great. A 2.1 system you need a place for a big ugly amp...a place to put two speakers and a sub...and then run cables to everything. I don't have that space in my bedroom.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to mention a 2.1 setup can't simulate 5.1, even if most soundbars only do an okay to passable job of it, for home theatre and movie watching it's still ahead of 2.1.

Basically, if your bedroom/den/not-home theatre TV is for just watching House reruns, stick with TV sound. If you watch movies and TV shows that feature 5.1 but don't want all the cables, get a soundbar. If you watch House reruns and like listening to high fidelity music on Super Audio CDs or Laserdisc or the like, get a 2.1 setup.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #31
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I set up a family member with one of these (420 model):

http://www.zvoxaudio.com/

from first hand experience I can tell you these are no Bose fake things. the sound is more than a match for a large TV, with crackly highs and boomy lows. it also has configurable virtual sound processing to widen the soundstage...not quite behind you like real surround, but still impressive for a single box solution.

given how well reviewed they are, I don't know why they're not so easy to find in Canada. I ordered it in from The Source and just picked it up at one of their local stores. I'm planning to get another one for myself in the next few months.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #32
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I set up a family member with one of these (420 model):

http://www.zvoxaudio.com/

from first hand experience I can tell you these are no Bose fake things. the sound is more than a match for a large TV, with crackly highs and boomy lows. it also has configurable virtual sound processing to widen the soundstage...not quite behind you like real surround, but still impressive for a single box solution.

given how well reviewed they are, I don't know why they're not so easy to find in Canada. I ordered it in from The Source and just picked it up at one of their local stores. I'm planning to get another one for myself in the next few months.
Taking a look around, I really have misgivings about systems that claim to do it all in a "discreet, eye-pleasing package".

It smacks of Bose, which I notice you take pains to point out it isn't, but I'll always be wary of products that brand themselves as such.

As the audiophiles say, "No Highs, No Lows, Gotta Be Bose."

EDIT: Review sampling shows it's at least got good bottom end, but "the cabinet of the Z-Base 420 can sometimes vibrate enough to make certain TVs buzz. And at higher volumes, it occasionally distorts." and "Yes, the 420 does improve the clarity of the dialog versus my TV's built in speakers (big deal), but it also seems to amplify the problematic difference between loud and quiet segments. That's always been an issue for me, but I was hoping the 420's "Dialog Enhancement" and "Output Leveling" options would make a significant improvement - they don't on most shows. Loud passages of dialog were generally crisp and clear, but quiet passages were whisper quiet, regardless of the DE or OL settings. So watching a show with the entire family is fine as I can just turn it up nice and loud and we can hear every word. But watching at night when others are trying to sleep is an issue as I can't hear half the dialog and the 420 doesn't help at all on any setting. Additionally, many TV shows sounded hollow and echoey - certainly the result of the source material, but again, not really improved (and often seemingly amplified by) the ZVOX."

Doesn't sound like a bad alternative to a soundbar to be quite honest.

EDIT 2:

Oh this sounds concerning for anyone with a new TV..."Not digitally compatible with many newer TV's. Plugged it into my Sony EX440 using a toslink cable and got static. A call to Zvox and I was offered an RCA-Mini cable (RCA plugs at one end and a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug on the other) for an analog only connection. You need spring for an extra $100 and get the Model 555 for a Dolby licensed unit if you want optical/digital sound."

No Dolby/HDCP licence on the 220/320/420.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 01-02-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #33
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^ as with any product there's sure to be some negative reviews even if the product is good, but you seem to be cherry picking all the bad ones. it doesn't have a huge amount of reviews on Amazon, but it's currently running a 4/5 average, including the 2 or 3 people who one-star'd it for not working properly in their setup.

I hooked it up to a brand new Sharp LED via toslink and everything worked just fine. and yes, I've sat in those lame Bose showrooms for their demos with the plastic-y sounding gear, treble and base turned up to the max with absolutely nothing in between. The Zvox sounds nothing like that, it's got decent power throughout the spectrum.

anyways, everything on this thread is going to be personal opinion and preference, but I'm putting my vote in based on experience. as the tired old phrase goes, your mileage may vary.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #34
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great thread! I was thinking of asking the same questions.

I was actually looking at this Yamaha unit: http://reviews.cnet.com/sound-bars/y...-35088920.html

Mainly because of the compact size (no extra sub piece for bass) and the repeater in the back to bounce my signals. The connectivity doesn't bother me that much. My new TV has an optical out, so I'll just run from the TV into the bar.

But after seeing some of the other suggestions, and some of the other reviews in here, I think I'm going to have to re-think my choices again.

Cheers!
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #35
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ended up comparing them side by side and got the Sony.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been also navigating the world of sound bars, sound pedestals, etc; basically, trying to find a system without a bunch of wire connections.

Any further thoughts and experiences appreciated. The more I read reviews of various products, the more clouded my thoughts get.

I have a colleague who recently bought the Zvox and is quite pleased with it.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #37
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone tried:

ZVox products like this one

or Sonos Playbar

or any other stand alone sound bar system, preferably without subwoofer (looking for a nice looking system that takes up as less space as possible)
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #38
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bump!

I didn't want to take up room in the theater thread, so I hope this is OK.

Any recommendations on a Soundbar, with HDMI inputs? I'm looking for at least 4, maybe 3, (cable box, BluRay, Chromecast and future).
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #39
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yamaha YSP2200
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I ordered this because of good reviews. I'll update when I get it.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post: