Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default The Ongoing Car Audio Thread

Thinking about buying a double din deck.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10243471.aspx

Upsides are bluetooth and it seems lots of options for audio/video stuff, rearview camera etc.

Oringially I wanted one of the devices with an option for the GPS, but looking at the GPS option it seems to be another $400 (WFT), better off just buying a damn solo unit like a Nuvi.

Anyone have other suggestions for the same price that has audio/video and a rear camera option?

Someone previously reccomended a Parrot device, however $600 from F/S, double the cost of the above linked Pioneer.

Thanks

(All previous threads I remember where questions about where to buy/install)
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the same boat, I've been looking at the AppRadio specifically because of ARLiberator:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iberator&hl=en

But I'm hesitant because I've heard both good and bad things about the AppRadio working with this app.... also currently the app only works with AppRadio2 and not AppRadio3.

I've also heard enough negative reviews of a few different Parrot models which makes me wonder why their price point is so bloody high.

I think I may be approaching this wrong... I'm looking for a double DIN that can essentially mirror the functionality of my phone while still doing the car audio stuff well enough. Seeing as these products don't directly exist without custom made apps, maybe I should be looking at installing a bloody tablet in my dash and hoping it can run car speakers well enough.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the deck listed in the OP, it's pretty good. The bluetooth is clear and the iPod integration is good. If you have an iPhone 5 or later you need to buy another cord which is $150.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I have the deck listed in the OP, it's pretty good. The bluetooth is clear and the iPod integration is good. If you have an iPhone 5 or later you need to buy another cord which is $150.
Did you get the GPS add on?

Do you need to buy hook up the cord prior to install? I'm wondering because I don't have an iphone know, but I could see my wife or someone else having on in the future (ipod/pad).

What about the rearview cam?

Thanks!
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like a really good deal, and I've been wanting to upgrade my stock head unit for some time, but I really like how the system in my Ford truck sounds and I don't want to mess with that.

Maybe one of the local installers can educate me on installing a new head unit and maintaining the factory amps/speakers/sub.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Rocky Raccoon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hello ladies and gents,

It has been approximately 13 years since I have kept up with car audio. I found a thread on another forum where the OP basically sums up my situation:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2253242

I have the same question for you good folks. What is the best equipment for car audio today? In my day, Phoenix Gold was the "shiznit"; however, as the economy and technology change, I am certain they have been surpassed.

I have recently been feeling somewhat nostalgic and am seeking out your opinions, experiences, and expertise.
Rocky Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I had this head unit put in an old Subaru I drove last winter, and it was excellent. Bluetooth worked flawlessly. Of all the reasons I selected this head unit, over the Pioneer ones.... it was the fact it had a volume knob, instead of buttons. Volume adjustments should ALWAYS be a knob whenever possible IMO.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...eb9c205ef1en02
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I think after market lcd touchscreens look like complete crap in cars that aren't properly shaded for an lcd screen. The screen gets too washed out on sunny days, plus fingerprints look terrible all over a screen. I bought a touchscreen deck once and would never do it again.

I have this deck in one of my cars (hopefully the mobile link works for you): http://m.futureshop.ca/defaultpage.a...448&lang=en-CA

It's great because it's visible in any light, has all the bells and whistles, has actual buttons, doesn't have any stupid/distracting/tacky animations, and is well priced as well. Straight up, it doesn't have a ton of power, but I grabbed an amp on Black Friday that I'm putting in as soon as summer comes. The deck is fine for normal driving, but the car I have it in is a convertible and I can't hear the stereo very well with the top down on the highway. With the amp I should be golden, though.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Did you get the GPS add on?

Do you need to buy hook up the cord prior to install? I'm wondering because I don't have an iphone know, but I could see my wife or someone else having on in the future (ipod/pad).

What about the rearview cam?

Thanks!
I skipped the GPS, I have google maps on my phone. I didn't opt for the rearview camera either. I would be surprised if that deck included everything for rearview camera at that price. I believe it would be another few hundred to hook that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Looks like a really good deal, and I've been wanting to upgrade my stock head unit for some time, but I really like how the system in my Ford truck sounds and I don't want to mess with that.

Maybe one of the local installers can educate me on installing a new head unit and maintaining the factory amps/speakers/sub.
You can retain the factory speakers with the correct installation harness. My truck came with Bose speakers and they sound great with the new deck.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post

Someone previously recommended a Parrot device, however $600 from F/S, double the cost of the above linked Pioneer.

Thanks

(All previous threads I remember where questions about where to buy/install)
Do not buy Parrot... nothing but issues lately...

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 12-31-2013 at 01:41 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote