Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Desktop or Laptop?

I just started a job three weeks ago and am looking to get a new computer in the next few months but don't know whether I should build a desktop again or just get a laptop. My reason for this is the CG industry out in BC isn't very stable right now and I may be forced to eventually leave especially if I can't find a job at a game studio so that's where having a laptop would be easier to move.

My best friend told me to not get a laptop for gaming because laptop parts never perform as fast as their desktop counterparts and are made cheaper but I've also had another friend who I graduated CG school with who has told me laptops now perform just as fast and it makes more sense for us to get laptops instead.

I'm looking for something around 2k that is a powerful gaming machine but is also good for 3D modeling, digital sculpting, and rendering. I do want to have dual monitors but could always use my current monitor as a second display if I got a laptop. I also haven't upgraded any parts from my current machine since I built it 5 or 6 years ago so being able to constantly upgrade it isn't a necessity.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

A laptop will never perform as well as a PC. The size of a laptop is a limiting factor, which impacts what parts can be placed in it, as well as the cooling methods available.

If you want the best, go with a PC. You'll be able to spend less for more performance.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I have a gaming tower and a gaming laptop. A tower is easily customized and you can always upgrade any part. It is fun to design your own PC and modify as you go. On the other hand, a laptop is very portable and there certainly are laptops that are lightning quick. I have a very high end MSI laptop (about $2,800) and it plays any current game on ultra settings. It boots up in a few seconds flat. It is not small but not that large - I easily carry it around.

The laptop is very expensive and you can get a lot of PC for that money. There are pros and cons to any system.

Although it is fair to say a tower is faster than a laptop, I doubt many people have a tower quicker than my laptop. Owning gaming PCs is like an arms race, you must upgrade all the time if you want to be faster than someone else. In a few months my laptop could be average.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I just started a job three weeks ago and am looking to get a new computer in the next few months but don't know whether I should build a desktop again or just get a laptop. My reason for this is the CG industry out in BC isn't very stable right now and I may be forced to eventually leave especially if I can't find a job at a game studio so that's where having a laptop would be easier to move.

My best friend told me to not get a laptop for gaming because laptop parts never perform as fast as their desktop counterparts and are made cheaper but I've also had another friend who I graduated CG school with who has told me laptops now perform just as fast and it makes more sense for us to get laptops instead.

I'm looking for something around 2k that is a powerful gaming machine but is also good for 3D modeling, digital sculpting, and rendering. I do want to have dual monitors but could always use my current monitor as a second display if I got a laptop. I also haven't upgraded any parts from my current machine since I built it 5 or 6 years ago so being able to constantly upgrade it isn't a necessity.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Go desktop. Custom built. You can ask around here and people will happily help with pricing out components and setting you off in the right direction if needed.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Logically if you're going to outfit a laptop with dual monitors then you might as well just get a PC. The "ease of moving" reason for the laptop is moot if you're surrounding it with parts a desktop will have anyway.

The laptop is a snapshot in time. The PC can be upgraded, just make sure you get a good quality case and it will last you for years.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get the best of both worlds and build an mITX desktop with a portable case (like the BitFenix Prodigy). mITX builds are super fun too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions. Any advice on what specific parts I should be looking at and keeping an eye on for prices? All I really know so far is I don't need an optical drive as I'll just use the one that's in my current computer and that I want atleast 32 gigs of RAM. The 16 gig machines at school were able to hold their own with multiple 3D programs open but still lagged at times.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote