Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Question about a failed PC

I am wondering if anyone can offer insight on this situation.

I had an old Intel Core 2 Duo PC that I converted into a Linux file server to host and backup older files. Old faithful got stuffed in the basement and chugged along for years without a monitor or a keyboard.

I used it to offsite various friends laptops and computers offsite, as well as my own. Then a friend had a laptop disaster, so naturally I went to the file server to recover the data and I could not connect. (file server was working a week prior)

I went into the basement and the power was on and it was running so I powered it down and powered it up and still could not connect.

Pulled it and hooked up a keyboard and monitor and it would power up. No BIOS or motherboard options displayed and it was more or less frozen.

Powered it down and tried to power it up and it would not start. So I assume the power supply is pooched. I've never really experienced this one before, so are the above symptoms a natural result of a failing supply of power? Is it likely the O/S (Linux) and files are perfectly fine, is the best course of action to replace the Power Supply and continue on.

Thanks in advance, been planning my method of attack for a day or two.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Sounds like a power supply issue; however I have seen power supplies take motherboards along with them.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is what I am wondering about. I would think the marginal fail of the power supply took the motherboard and the video card.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote