Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #1301
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames had as many Oilers 2-7 round draft picks play for them this season (Davidson, Rieder, and Gustafsson) as the Oilers did.

In the postseason, the Oilers got no points from their three picks from rounds 2-7; the Flames got 9 points from Rieder and Gustafsson.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #1302
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only could delusional oilers fans make endless arguments on the awful HF forums that their 2 forwards are better than the best forward on a playoff team still in contention. Just absolutely hilarious and mind boggling.

They just don't understand how vastly superior Mackinnon is to their players.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #1303
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Only could delusional oilers fans make endless arguments on the awful HF forums that their 2 forwards are better than the best forward on a playoff team still in contention. Just absolutely hilarious and mind boggling.

They just don't understand how vastly superior Mackinnon is to their players.
I don't know. To me, their two players really are dynamite. MacKinnon is better than Drai, and in the same category of amazing as McDingle. The thing that is so delicious is that in spite of having those great players, they still suck.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #1304
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
I don't know. To me, their two players really are dynamite. MacKinnon is better than Drai, and in the same category of amazing as McDingle. The thing that is so delicious is that in spite of having those great players, they still suck.
I disagree- Mackinnon is superior to McDavid for a few reasons, but mainly he actually knows how to use his teammates and creates offense through them rather than demanding the puck and dragging everyone along the ice to the net. No doubt McDavid has supreme individual talent, but the guy doesn't elevate the team, only linemates who he deflects pucks off of. Mackinnon brings so much more- blocking shots in the dying minutes for example. The way he plays inspires and brings out the best in his team mates and helps lead them to victory.

Points do not equal a better player. McDavid is the best player at scoring points, but not even close to the best at winning.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:10 PM   #1305
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way that I've explained it is that Mcdavid can beat you two ways with speed and with dekes. Mackinnon has a third element. He can blow you right over with his size. With that in mind he can get his own puck by muscling someone off of it rather than waiting for an outlet pass or stick checking.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #1306
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mackinnon right now reminds me so much of a young Crosby, but with that extra agility
Old 09-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #1307
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The way that I've explained it is that Mcdavid can beat you two ways with speed and with dekes. Mackinnon has a third element. He can blow you right over with his size. With that in mind he can get his own puck by muscling someone off of it rather than waiting for an outlet pass or stick checking.
Mackinnon is a beast.

I worked with a guy who’s boy played high level hockey. His kids was on a tournament team with Bo Horvat, Darnell Nurse and other current NHL players. They were going to the states for a tournament. He said the roster looked thin so the team looked to beef it out a bit. He was told “a kid is coming from Nova Scotia” to help. He said at the first practice it was like Mackinnon playing with boys. He was just head and shoulders above. I seem to recall this was Bantam.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #1308
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Mackinnon right now reminds me so much of a young Crosby, but with that extra agility
There must be something in the water in Nova Scotia.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #1309
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There must be something in the water in Nova Scotia.
Yeah, Alpine

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #1310
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree- Mackinnon is superior to McDavid for a few reasons, but mainly he actually knows how to use his teammates and creates offense through them rather than demanding the puck and dragging everyone along the ice to the net. No doubt McDavid has supreme individual talent, but the guy doesn't elevate the team, only linemates who he deflects pucks off of. Mackinnon brings so much more- blocking shots in the dying minutes for example. The way he plays inspires and brings out the best in his team mates and helps lead them to victory.

Points do not equal a better player. McDavid is the best player at scoring points, but not even close to the best at winning.
Mackinnon will not shy away and will instigate contact. better all round player for sure. If all you want is 1 way play and a ton of points, McHobo is your guy. i would take NM anyday
Old 09-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #1311
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

This is exactly what I see.

The way I would describe it, McDavid is probably the best 1v1 hockey player in the world. He is a supreme individual talent who can do things at top speed from blue line to blue line that no one else can do. But here is his biggest drawback: for all that individual ability he looks nearly impossible to play with. He has now been in Edmonton for five full years, and the Oilers have struggled to find anyone at all who can line up and be consistently effective on McDavid's wing. It is the reason why Draisaitl must drive his own line, and why replacement level players like Neal, Kasssian, Chiasson, Puljujarvi, Sheehan and Archibald have spent so much time on the top-line. This is probably borne of necessity for playing his entire life on teams comprised of garbage, but in his head it sure looks like McDavid is convinced that the only way to succeed is for him to puck-carry, dangle and score while the other five guys on the ice watch and cheer.

MacKinnon is a better player, because not only can he do what McDavid does nearly as well, he adds a whole other element to his game whereby he is able to bring out the best in his line mates and teammates. It's because unlike McDavid, it is so much easier and more effective playing with such a complete player like that who can not only do everything extremely well, but also clearly understands the importance of making things work as a five-man unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-03-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #1312
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They train together or at least are buddies offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Crosby is something of a mentor to him. McDavid hasn't had that.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #1313
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They train together or at least are buddies offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Crosby is something of a mentor to him. McDavid hasn't had that.
Oh definitely. Even when he said "I'll take less again" when talking about his contract, I got the feeling Crosby's been in his ear about about winning > money.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #1314
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I did not know this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeZette

Quote:
LifeZette is a conservative American website founded in 2015 by conservative political commentator Laura Ingraham and businessman Peter Anthony.[3] In January 2018, Ingraham confirmed that she had sold the majority stake in LifeZette to The Katz Group, owned by Canadian billionaire Daryl Katz.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1301204418268999681
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #1315
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have literally never seen the word LifeZette before in my life. It seems that's a good thing.

I hope Katz is seething seeing those messages being shown in "his" arena. #### him.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #1316
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is an opportunity to move from 'protest' to actual action.

People need to pressure Katz to put pressure on LifeZette to change the narrative. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #1317
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Oh definitely. Even when he said "I'll take less again" when talking about his contract, I got the feeling Crosby's been in his ear about about winning > money.
Lots of players say these sorts of things, but very seldom follow through with them in the form of meaningful limits on their own earnings. But even if MacKinnon does prioritise the competitiveness of his team over his own personal salary, what does that even look like for the best player in the world? Connor McDavid similarly committed to a "discount" for the Oilers, and he is already a $12 m player. I think for MacKinnon "taking less" almost certainly looks very much like this, and I would be surprised to see his next contract signed for anything less than McDavid's $100 m deal.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #1318
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oiler fans like to claim that McDavid took a discount but I just don't see it.

He signed the largest contract in NHL history, as a post ELC contract. (At the time, post ELC contracts were still held lower than UFA contracts.) Nothing about that says discount, unless you are going to argue that he is SO MUCH better than every other player in the league that even a record-breaking, and market-changing contract is a 'discount'.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #1319
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Oiler fans like to claim that McDavid took a discount but I just don't see it.

He signed the largest contract in NHL history, as a post ELC contract. (At the time, post ELC contracts were still held lower than UFA contracts.) Nothing about that says discount, unless you are going to argue that he is SO MUCH better than every other player in the league that even a record-breaking, and market-changing contract is a 'discount'.
Yes. I agree. But this is precisely how "discounts" in the NHL are structured and sold to the public. I have no doubt that MacKinnon's contract will be similar.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #1320
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anything short of 13 million / year for Mackinnon will be a discount in my eyes. He's that good.
Closed Thread