Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #61
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
After the initial uproar and people taking time to realize how much more the Xbox One is offering...the sales will be fine. People tend to overreact initially, but that's because the average light-bulb in the population is not very bright. Microsoft is doing exactly the right thing, but their success depends on whether the population has evolved enough in terms of their intellect to grasp their evolving concept, or is the mass population still stuck back in 2005 unwilling to accept change, and open-minded thinking.

Remember when people were shouting from the rooftops because the TV/Cable/Government was forcing them to switch from Analog to Digital. I feel the same way.

Catch up with technology or get left behind. (Put up or shut up ideology)

Same type of people were laughing at the iPhone in 2007 calling it a glorified iPod and laughing at iTunes in 2001. Who's laughing now? Steve Jobs in his grave.

The world is becoming all digital. Shed some tears if you have to and get on the train. Its happening regardless.

Microsoft is like the devil that you KNOW. (Apple)

Sony is like the devil that you don't KNOW (Blackberry)

Microsoft has taken the approach of being an all-in-one entertainment solution with many more features going to be added in future.

Sony has taken the approach of being a high-end old school specialized gaming console with some features coming later.

Look at the world around you, and tell me with a straight face that Sony is actually looking and making products for the future.
How is Microsoft the devil you know? Wouldn't that technically be Sony because what they're proposing has a lesser unknown element?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #62
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is Crimson Dragon a new version of Panzer Dragoon? I enjoyed the old Xbox version.
I believe so, yes. That was the unfortunate trailer during the Xbone press event that ran from start to finish without any sound.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #63
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I had no problems picking out a bunch of launch titles with my Xbox One pre-order but man did I have a tough time picking out launch games to go with my PS4 order and ended up going with just Killzone and I'm pretty lukewarm on that franchise.
What games are on Xbox One that aren't on PS4? Besides Halo, Forza, and Dead Rising I didn't notice anything else
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #64
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what companies have always been good to me,

ASUS, Gigabyte, Intel, EVGA, Patriot, Corsair, you guys are my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #65
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Just to make sure:

Fake.

(Although to be fair there seemed to be clearly more excitement over the PS4 price.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #66
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
This part of that article nails it exactly IMO:

Quote:
Secondly, Steam - like any store on a PC or a Mac - is a choice. I can buy software from Steam, but if I don't like the terms I can also buy through many other routes. Steam is chosen by consumers because it's the most convenient and often most cost-effective way to get games - it competes with lots of other channels, physical and digital. The same applies to iTunes, which dominates the music market but is entirely optional - you could buy all the music you want through other channels if you liked. I buy a lot of books on Kindle, fully cognisant that this is more restrictive than buying paperbacks, but accepting those restrictions in return for good value and superb convenience.

Xbox One doesn't propose to let consumers make a choice (other than "not buying an Xbox One", a choice a rather large number of consumers seem to be making right now). It intends to apply the same restrictive DRM to physical and to digital goods, treating them as one and the same despite consumers' radically different relationship with them. Sony will apply strict DRM to digital purchases on PS4, just as it does on PS3 (and as Microsoft already does to digital purchases on Xbox 360), but consumers won't complain vociferously because they accept this - it's an option. If you choose to buy a digital game over a physical copy, you do so aware of the restrictions but feeling that they are outbalanced by the convenience or other factors. In extending those restrictions to physical products, Microsoft removes a choice that consumers have become very attached to.
I love Steam. I like pre-loading launch titles and playing as soon as they're released, instead of driving to a store and hoping they have it in stock if I didn't pre-order. I really like the sales and never having to worry about discs, and automatic patching is awesome. However there are still some games where I prefer a physical disc to use how I choose. I buy sports titles and fighting games on consoles because I like to take them to friends houses, to me the convenience of a digital download isn't worth losing that ability. With the PS4 I have that choice, with the Xbox One I don't

It's really just Microsoft's business strategy though. For anyone that's used Windows 8 you quickly realize that Microsoft hates giving the user choice and instead wants to force their view on how things should work for everyone. Xbox is just continuing this trend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #67
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It's really just Microsoft's business strategy though. For anyone that's used Windows 8 you quickly realize that Microsoft hates giving the user choice and instead wants to force their view on how things should work for everyone. Xbox is just continuing this trend
I think Microsoft has looked at Apple and sees how successful a highly restricted/locked down system can be, and figures if it can deliver the content people want they'll just accept the restrictions.

They're also banking on the fact that the more general (and less vocal) population will see the Xbox as a all encompassing entertainment solution vs. a gaming console. I'm a PC gamer, but the TV possibilities with the Xbox One are pretty neat. Imagine watching a Flames game and having the ability to choose camera angles, pull up stats, watch replays, listen mic'd up players. I think that would really add the experience.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #68
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
I think Microsoft has looked at Apple and sees how successful a highly restricted/locked down system can be, and figures if it can deliver the content people want they'll just accept the restrictions.

They're also banking on the fact that the more general (and less vocal) population will see the Xbox as a all encompassing entertainment solution vs. a gaming console. I'm a PC gamer, but the TV possibilities with the Xbox One are pretty neat. Imagine watching a Flames game and having the ability to choose camera angles, pull up stats, watch replays, listen mic'd up players. I think that would really add the experience.
Which is odd because Apple's lead on the completely unlocked world of Android has been diminishing.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #69
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Apple business model is the envy of any company. That's not even up for discussion. The profit and revenues speak for themselves.

If Microsoft can do anything in the living room that Apple has done with the music, phone...then it is a big achievement.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #70
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
However there are still some games where I prefer a physical disc to use how I choose.
So buy the physical copy?
Quote:
I buy sports titles and fighting games on consoles because I like to take them to friends houses, to me the convenience of a digital download isn't worth losing that ability. With the PS4 I have that choice, with the Xbox One I don't

1. Buy game - digital or physical, your choice.
2. Go to friend's place.
3. Either a) Sign in with your XBL ID or b) ensure friend is added to 'Family List' for game library sharing.
4. Either a) insert game media, or b) download the game from XBL.
5. Play.

You get more choices - you actually get to choose to leave the disc at home if you desire and if your friend has a decent internet connection. I downloaded a full title two days ago from XBL (Fable 3, 5.6 GB) and it was really quick.

And per #3, if that friend wants to play the game later, simply put them on your 'Family List' (they don't have to be 'family') and share your game library with them.

You still have that option with the Xbox One, whether you buy the disc or use the digital delivery system. Tell me how you're losing choice, here.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #71
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The hype surrounding Xbox being an all in one media center is ridiculous.

It offers a few more subscription services (all of which will most likely join PS4 once they can if Xbox sales are as bad as people think) which you may or may not want and tv if you're a comcast customer... So let me get this straight. Xbox berates everyone who questions what people without flawless internet are to do with their console and tells them to stick to the 360 but is then banking on people to not realize that if you want HBO GO on your xbox, you can just keep your 360 too?

Sorry but I'm not buying this whole "media center" thing. Nothing they added is of any value over whats available on PS3. Hell if I wanted to watch HBO GO on my PS3 could I not log on through the web browser? I mean subscription services are most likely the future of TV but adding a few more than what is available on PS4 hardly sells the idea that Xbox One is some epic media center and PS4 is just a video game console.

Oh and live TV, thats great! I mean what are the chances that if I have flawless internet I might also already have cable as well.

Oh and are these services behind the pay wall? Please oh please tell me they're behind the LIVE pay wall and that you're just paying $60 more a year to watch the subscriptions you're ALREADY PAYING FOR.

EDIT: OH and this makes your whole "All in one media box" angle obsolete... This is already available for all the consoles and will probably be available for PS4 too... http://www.playon.tv/playon

Last edited by polak; 06-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #72
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know PS4 has it, has anyone seen anything about XBone delivering NetFlix SuperHD?

Because SuperHD on the PS3 owns.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #73
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lets just sum it up here. I wil be buying both consoles probably but Xbox One will be my primary console. Why?

I have liked the experience with my Xbox 360 more than my PS3. Xbox Live Gold is much better in game and without laggy BS the PSN provides. Also it doesn't get hacked. lol.

Xbox 360 also has the better games overall IMO.

Games that are playable on both consoles look better on Xbox 360. Example: FIFA 13.

DRM Issue? no I don't buy used games.

Internet issue? umm I'm always connected to Internet anyway.

Kinect issue? I think it's pretty cool. I spent some time in future shop playing baseball with my little niece. it was pretty fun.

Add on that the TV features and voice commands on the Xbox as well as in game stats....Skype...etc...the OS being much better and cleaner....it's a landslide win for the Xbox experience.

Most of my friends buying PS3 in a brash decision due to BluRay ended up also getting a Xbox 360 at some point.

I expect the same experience to continue with Xbox One and PS4.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #74
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Apple business model is the envy of any company. That's not even up for discussion. The profit and revenues speak for themselves.

If Microsoft can do anything in the living room that Apple has done with the music, phone...then it is a big achievement.
Apples business model also relies on clueless sheep buying an inferior product for more money simply based on perceived quality, brand loyalty and good marketing... After this PR debacle do you think MS are really good at either of those things?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #75
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
So buy the physical copy?

1. Buy game - digital or physical, your choice.
2. Go to friend's place.
3. Either a) Sign in with your XBL ID or b) ensure friend is added to 'Family List' for game library sharing.
4. Either a) insert game media, or b) download the game from XBL.
5. Play.

You get more choices - you actually get to choose to leave the disc at home if you desire and if your friend has a decent internet connection. I downloaded a full title two days ago from XBL (Fable 3, 5.6 GB) and it was really quick.

And per #3, if that friend wants to play the game later, simply put them on your 'Family List' (they don't have to be 'family') and share your game library with them.

You still have that option with the Xbox One, whether you buy the disc or use the digital delivery system. Tell me how you're losing choice, here.
All your points are immediately nullified when said buddy has his gaming center in the basement with no internet access. I don't think Microsoft realizes just how many people have similar setups, where getting a wired internet connection or stable wifi in certain areas of a home is too cost prohibitive
Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #76
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Apples business model also relies on clueless sheep buying an inferior product for more money simply based on perceived quality, brand loyalty and good marketing... After this PR debacle do you think MS are really good at either of those things?
I think it is a PR debacle, but I don't think it makes much of a difference in the long run. You seriously think that the console industry is going to be decided based on USED GAMES? Are you seriously kidding me?

The BEST feature so far introduced by EITHER console is from Micrsoft's Xbox One.

Where you can share your game library with up to 10 people that you know.

My cousin in BC can buy Halo, I can buy FIFA, Someone else can buy Assassin's Creed, my friend buys Ryse: Roman whatever....now that is an awesome feature that is actually useable and saves people a ton of money....rather than running around chasing discs that you have lent out or having to give back discs that you got from someone else. Also having the games wherever you go simply through your Xbox Live ID is another awesome thing as well.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #77
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking good! (Don't mind the beer . . .)

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #78
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
All your points are immediately nullified when said buddy has his gaming center in the basement with no internet access. I don't think Microsoft realizes just how many people have similar setups, where getting a wired internet connection or stable wifi in certain areas of a home is too cost prohibitive
How the hell do you use your console without internet? I spend all my time on Xbox watching Netflix, videos, or Xbox Live online play.

Your buddy needs to get out of his mom's basement.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #79
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to agree too heavily with Robaur, but a 100' Cat5e cable is 12$ on Monoprice.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #80
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
How the hell do you use your console without internet? I spend all my time on Xbox watching Netflix, videos, or Xbox Live online play.

Your buddy needs to get out of his mom's basement.
If you think people are angry at Microsoft because they aren't connected to the internet then you've lost sight of the entire discussion and philosophical argument. What you are saying is equivalent to not being afraid of NSA since you have nothing to hide. It's the principle of the matter that is concerning and unsettling.

It's about freedom and control. People don't want to be unnecessarily controlled, be subject restricting options, or have the freedom to do certain things taken away from them - at no perceived benefit to the customer.

Seriously... mandatory online check-in every 24 hours? Obviously my console will be connected 24/7 - but why should I as a consumer voluntarily subject myself to such potentially inconvenient restrictions if I can avoid the issue entirely and purchase a PS4 (which is virtually an exact substitute for 99% of potential customers)?

Microsoft has done a stunningly well job at communicating how much THEY will benefit at the customers expense.

It's that simple.

PLUS, PS4 is cheaper in almost everyway and offers a very similar gaming (and even video streaming) experience for the majority of users.

Last edited by Lego Man; 06-14-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lego Man For This Useful Post: