Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #61
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Locke - do you do business taxes as well as personal?
See, posts like this scare me. Is there an inside joke that I'm not privy to that will just make me look like an idiot? Is this a troll post? Or did you just not read the thread title.

The way it shows up in Tapatalk is particularly hilarious.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much appreciated guys! I met a lot of new CPers this year!

I just wanted to throw this out there: When someone says that they tried it themselves and found they were owing and then came to me and 'all of a sudden' were receiving a refund, this is no feat of magic on my part, its typically because some people dont know about certain claims or deductions or are too conservative to make perfectly eligible claims or elections.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #63
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
See, posts like this scare me. Is there an inside joke that I'm not privy to that will just make me look like an idiot? Is this a troll post? Or did you just not read the thread title.

The way it shows up in Tapatalk is particularly hilarious.
I'm legitimately interested in independent contractor tax services. This is a serious question.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Locke - do you do business taxes as well as personal?
Yes I do. Both sole-proprietors and Corporations.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #65
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Much appreciated guys! I met a lot of new CPers this year!

I just wanted to throw this out there: When someone says that they tried it themselves and found they were owing and then came to me and 'all of a sudden' were receiving a refund, this is no feat of magic on my part, its typically because some people dont know about certain claims or deductions or are too conservative to make perfectly eligible claims or elections.
Probably a good point to make! I'll note that I owed before meeting with Locke and still had to pay when it was all said and done but that doesn't mean it wasn't good service and worth it from my perspective.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Probably a good point to make! I'll note that I owed before meeting with Locke and still had to pay when it was all said and done but that doesn't mean it wasn't good service and worth it from my perspective.
Its why, when you're not sure, you get an accountant. Unlike you I've seen it all. Thousands and thousands of times.

So many times....so many soul-crushing times....but enough about that.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #67
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hi, bumping this thread as Locke recently helped my wife and I complete our (tardy) 2015 tax returns.

We had held off because 2015 introduced a couple of new wrinkles, but Locke was able to simplify things and explain it in a way that made sense. I'm really happy we found him through this site.

At a larger level, CP through the years has helped connect me to an excellent wedding photographer, a strong furnace repair guy, and now a fantastic tax services representative. Lots of good people out there in Calgary.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #68
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Honour of another year.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #69
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In Honour of another year.

JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #70
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an interesting note, if you have costs for medicinal marijuana, it is recognized by Revenue Canada as a legitimate Medical Expense.

But be prepared to provide copies of the prescription and receipts.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #71
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

pm'd
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #72
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Locke, do you know if there is a legal requirement for an employer to send a T4 via regular mail? For the 3rd year in a row my T4 has arrived already opened, likely by a neighbour. Thinking of asking my company to not send it via regular mail anymore but not sure if they are legally required to send a physical copy to each employee. I already have an electronic copy before they even send out the hard copy one so there's really no point in using regular mail
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #73
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Locke, do you know if there is a legal requirement for an employer to send a T4 via regular mail? For the 3rd year in a row my T4 has arrived already opened, likely by a neighbour. Thinking of asking my company to not send it via regular mail anymore but not sure if they are legally required to send a physical copy to each employee. I already have an electronic copy before they even send out the hard copy one so there's really no point in using regular mail
There is not.

And you're right, most employers have a digital option and some dont even bother with the physical option, the fact that your employer does both is actually a little short-sighted, depending on their number of employees they'd be spending some serious money on postage that they dont really have to.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #74
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Great Job Locke. Thank you so much for your help this weekend. I definitely would recommend anyone to Locke for their Tax situations.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #75
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a question regarding how businesses account for per diems paid to their employees.

In laymans terms (spoiler alert, I'm a layman) If a business has a set "pie" of money to doll out to their employees in the form of salary etc, generally any bargaining between the two sides sets just how that pie is divided.....But when it comes time to balance the books are per diems part of that pie? Does the business claim that as an expense of sorts?
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I have a question regarding how businesses account for per diems paid to their employees.

In laymans terms (spoiler alert, I'm a layman) If a business has a set "pie" of money to doll out to their employees in the form of salary etc, generally any bargaining between the two sides sets just how that pie is divided.....But when it comes time to balance the books are per diems part of that pie? Does the business claim that as an expense of sorts?
Hm. I'm going to tell you that thats a tough question.

Per Diems would be part of a company's employment expenses, but its hard to say that they would be part of an 'immovable' pie.

My semi-informed answer would be: No.

Typically salary and 'Per Diems' for out of town work are not calculated together. They can be, but they are more often very separate things.

How they are accounted for within an employer's budget? I cant really say.

Typically the Per Diem is a set, standard rate depending on the circumstances. Sometimes its just meals, or theres hotels, travel, etc, it could be any mix of them.

How a company internally budgets for Per Diems? I cant really comment on that.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #77
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks again, Locke!

Second year going, and was a seamless process! see you again, same time next year!
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #78
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to recommend Locke as well. I had and have a very unique tax situation having been a resident of the USA and Canada in the same year with accounts all over the damn place, and I needed a tax professional ASAP to do my taxes for both countries. Apparently, my deadline was sooner than most because of my unique status.

Locke was able to get me in contact with one of his colleagues who specialize in my situation. Furthermore, because of his referral, his colleague bumped me up in the priority line and began working on my case immediately. Everything was taken care of in time, and she opened my eyes to things I had no idea I needed to know.

Locke is a true professional in his industry and has a solid network. If he can't help you directly, he'll find you someone (reliable) who can.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #79
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shout out to Locke again this year. Solid work, and super quick!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #80
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once again, another happy customer of Klassen Tax Services. My tax scenario being what it is given my home office, education, and travel expenses, Locke's expertise provides considerable value in identifying potential areas for savings. He's very fairly priced, and he's quick, too.

A++, will be back next year. And his logo is pretty sweet.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote