Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2023, 04:22 PM   #6621
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't seen the newest MI movie, but recently rewatched the first one and it's fantastic. Lots of actual spy craft, that stuff really dropped off for the rest of them.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:12 AM   #6622
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Honestly, people disliking train-top fights was not on my list of things people would be complaining about but here we are...

Speaking of trains -- I did a rewatch of Bullet Train and I still love that movie.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 04:03 PM   #6623
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

What are you talking about? Sliver isn’t people.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 08:42 PM   #6624
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's irrelevant to me whether the stunts were real or not. I just watched Indiana Jones the week before. Train-top fight sequence. A week later I go to MI...train-top fight sequence.

At least both were original in that our heroes were standing there and at the last second managed to lay flat on their belly lest they were swatted off by overhead structures. I mean, JFC. Movie makers need to put that cheese factory down. It's a joke. I wonder how many hours of my life I've wasted watching people fight on top of trains in movies.
Got to say I agree with Sliver this time.

Did anybody feel tension/suspense while they were ducking for low hanging bars? And how do these characters always end up on the roof? So uncivilized.

At least have the Nazi/"Gabriel" bloody and toothless, holding the hero in a headlock as a tunnel approaches or something cool like that. A nice harken back to Last Crusade with the tank scene.

Also pretty funny rant. Man I'm sick of my life being wasted watching people fight on top of trains.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 07-18-2023 at 08:45 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2023, 06:54 AM   #6625
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I saw a few ads for Sound of Freedom and ignored it because I had a slight memory that Jim Caviezel is a lunatic. Few days ago I had someone mention that he saw it and it was incredible, I should have immediately been suspicious as this person is not a huge movie and fan it the the biggest conspiracy dope I know. Seems like it's being promoted on all the wacky facebook pages.

I was told to just watch it and "judge for yourself". QANON quackery, blood harvesting, adreochrome. I don't have time for this nonsense.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2023, 07:00 AM   #6626
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's irrelevant to me whether the stunts were real or not. I just watched Indiana Jones the week before. Train-top fight sequence. A week later I go to MI...train-top fight sequence.

At least both were original in that our heroes were standing there and at the last second managed to lay flat on their belly lest they were swatted off by overhead structures. I mean, JFC. Movie makers need to put that cheese factory down. It's a joke. I wonder how many hours of my life I've wasted watching people fight on top of trains in movies.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2023, 01:16 PM   #6627
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Not only that, its Coach McGurk fighting the Trailer Park Boys on the roof of a train!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2023, 01:51 PM   #6628
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I saw a few ads for Sound of Freedom and ignored it because I had a slight memory that Jim Caviezel is a lunatic. Few days ago I had someone mention that he saw it and it was incredible, I should have immediately been suspicious as this person is not a huge movie and fan it the the biggest conspiracy dope I know. Seems like it's being promoted on all the wacky facebook pages.

I was told to just watch it and "judge for yourself". QANON quackery, blood harvesting, adreochrome. I don't have time for this nonsense.

Over a million children are trafficked ever year and billions are spent on it, you think that's not going to express itself in incredibly ####ed up ways? You think the people who are trafficking children will otherwise have a reasonable amount of moral restraint? If their clientele wants adrenochrome and blood harvesting, why wouldn't they give it to them, even if their desire for those things is rooted in fiction? I'd imagine that'd be one of the first things people getting involved for child trafficking would be interested in, given that it's such common knowledge. Adrenochrome is mentioned frequently in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (1971) and was associated with californian satanists. Reality imitates fiction.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:05 PM   #6629
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Hopefully it encourages them to go back to trying to create new STANDALONE STORIES for a change, rather than desperately trying to make "franchises" at all.
The second a one-and-done is profitable, it will become a franchise with 3 sequels greenlit. It's just the way it is. Unfortunately.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2023, 05:30 PM   #6630
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
The second a one-and-done is profitable, it will become a franchise with 3 sequels greenlit. It's just the way it is. Unfortunately.
Pretty much. In the race for the almighty dollar they will squeeze and IP for every cent they can get.

I think DC/WB need to really re-evaluate their cost-control measures, the amount they spend versus their Box Office returns is ridiculous.

And how can you have a film with a budget like The Flash's and still get that result for your CGI?

Go back to Justice League and their CGI looks like it was put together by a High School class in a basement somewhere for extra credit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:27 PM   #6631
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Over a million children are trafficked ever year and billions are spent on it, you think that's not going to express itself in incredibly ####ed up ways? You think the people who are trafficking children will otherwise have a reasonable amount of moral restraint? If their clientele wants adrenochrome and blood harvesting, why wouldn't they give it to them, even if their desire for those things is rooted in fiction? I'd imagine that'd be one of the first things people getting involved for child trafficking would be interested in, given that it's such common knowledge. Adrenochrome is mentioned frequently in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (1971) and was associated with californian satanists. Reality imitates fiction.
You're insane, reality is slipping away from you.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 10:52 AM   #6632
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're insane, reality is slipping away from you.
It's weird how these people can't just fall in line on one conspiracy. It's all of them. The entire checklist.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 02:22 PM   #6633
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What are you talking about? Sliver isn’t people.
Dude ####ing stole my car then "found it". Left it in a mess and a Cheerios box spilled everywhere.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 03:57 PM   #6634
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's weird how these people can't just fall in line on one conspiracy. It's all of them. The entire checklist.
This is incredibly true.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 07-21-2023 at 12:46 AM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 05:21 PM   #6635
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Does the movie actually have blood harvesting in it, or is it just a combo of Caviezel being into conspiracy theories and also staring in this movie about child trafficking?

Edit:

I guess my question is are there any more links to the movie and the QANON stuff than Caviezel himself? And what role did Caviezel have in production and writing? I actually do think the subject matter of human sex trafficking needs to be discussed more often. Every major Western city now seems to be filled with "massage" places staffed with foreign women servicing dozens of men daily. The problem seems to be right out in the open. The Adrenochrome thing seems unlikely for the simple reason that you could make a lot more money using people as slaves, sex and otherwise.

Last edited by blankall; 07-20-2023 at 05:33 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 06:39 PM   #6636
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had tickets for 70mm IMAX Oppenheimer at 6PM. They couldn't figure out how to sync the audio to the video and after 20 minutes gave up and refunded everyone.

What a let down.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 08:46 PM   #6637
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

From what I read the Sound of Freedom movie itself doesn't stray into any weird conspiracy theory stuff it just does what any movie based on a true story would do.. stretch things to make an entertaining movie. Who can't get a little pumped up about a hero kicking the doors in and carrying the children out?

Probably works as some kind of fantasy revenge pr0n for QAnon adherents that feel like the movie reflects one of their core beliefs.

There's been some criticism of Ballard and Operation Underground Railroad's motivations and efficacy which of course people will twist into "why do you love child sex trafficking" when a lot of it is just pointing out that the movie's depictions are fiction and that real solutions to the problem mostly don't involve action scenes.

So afaik the movie itself doesn't get into anything weird, it's just hard when Caviezel says what he does and Ballard does an interview about how the transgender movement aids and abets child sex slavery it makes it hard for me to get any motivation to see the movie and reward the messaging around the movie.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 09:08 PM   #6638
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Had tickets for 70mm IMAX Oppenheimer at 6PM. They couldn't figure out how to sync the audio to the video and after 20 minutes gave up and refunded everyone.

What a let down.
Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I have a feeling that movie is going to be absolutely unbelievable. I just read a review today and can’t wait to see it. Looks great.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:10 PM   #6639
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post

What a let down.
That sucks. I just got tickets and Wednesday was the earliest day that had decent seats left.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:47 PM   #6640
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Mission Impossible..dead whatever today. I loved it. Amazing spectacle, good plot, solid character work, even some slightly dramatic moments with actual acting. I highly recommend and am looking forward to part two of that the same way I'm looking forward to part two of Dune.

Is this going to be the new hollywood thing? Trying to match tv series by having movie series? If so, I'm here for it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: