Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #41
RockOnRoberts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but you have to go to Union Square Park and hang out around that area. Also check out Central Park (mostly in Midtown-Uptown). The Empire State Building is not that exciting, you wait for hours and build up hype just to realize that you went to the top of a building for a lot of money. Besides, on many days it is too windy to go to the good observation points on the roof. I find Times Square to be annoying, but you should get a quick look around before heading off to Rockefeller Center. Then check out SOHO and Greenwich Village for some cool stores, restaurants, and people. Chinatown is really crowded and hard to get around, but if you are really interested it may be worth a look. Also check out the Met Opera house and the Time Warner Cable building if you can. Chelsea is another cool area. Its home to Food Network HQ and the Chelsea Market as well as an above ground subway converted into a park (very cool). Wall Street and downtown are also cool to see (WTC site not much though, just a big hole) and you can hang around the South Street Seaport for a few minutes as well.
In terms of museums, my favorites are the:
Guggenheim
Frick Collection
Natural History
Met
MoMA (check out MoMA shop as well)
Galleries in Chelsea

Enjoy NY!

Last edited by RockOnRoberts; 03-22-2010 at 03:41 PM.
RockOnRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #42
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Probably cause you're not looking where you're going and walking backwards while trying to take a photo.

NYers aren't rude, they are direct. Too busy getting shat done to tread gently. And anyone who works for the MTA is generally just an asswipe, so don't expect anything else. Let me tell you a story that both illustrates the tool-worthiness of bus drivers and the awesomeness of random NYers all in one.
Yes, you must be right, what was I thinking? Do you mind holding this camera for me while I post? Thanks.

I'm not a bumbling fool, it's just they are rude in general. If you want to call them direct, to me it is just a matter of semantics. Maybe they are misunderstood but how often do you meet a stranger that is very direct and say "well, he must be a nice guy deep down. I'll cut him some slack." Unless you're the kind of guy (assuming you are a guy) that looks at a girl for the time and thinks "wow, she must have a great personality," I think you must be a little confused. New Yorkers have the same rep Parisians do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
If you actually talk to NYers you'll find tons of great people, sounds to me like you didn't meet many NYers.
I've had a few nice people ask if they can be of service if I'm starting at a map or something like that during my first trips, and met some cool locals in line at Grimaldi's that gave me good restaurant tips too. The funny thing is that those guys joined the conversation only after this couple (that ended up being Canadian) chatted me up in line first. Those stories are all I can think of, I have a ton of rude ones.
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #43
RockOnRoberts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forgot to mention Bedford-Stuyvasent! A must see at night!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If I remember there was a restaurant called the great canadian experience around Time Square.

they servered Canadian beer, they claimed they had imported Alberta beef and they had all Canadian memorailia on the wall.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #45
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I think you must be a little confused.
Yep, you're right. I guess the 8 years I've lived in this city just didn't quite give me the same perspective as your 8 visits.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #46
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've got the time, spend an hour or two at the Top of the Rock and watch the sun go down... Amazing transition.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #47
mc0709
Draft Pick

Direct is very different from rude. Direct people just don't beat around the bush and they say exactly what needs to be said. Rude people are crass, not taking into consideration the context and appropriatness of what they are about to say. It seems like Canada is a bit more known for being extremely sensitive (polite) and are more likely to take direct as a purposeful shot to their ego. I think alot of people go to places with a pre-concieved idea of what the people are like, and see only what they are looking for. Yes Canada is a more polite culture, but Americans aren't necessarily mean. The only difference I notice when I cross the border is the increase in mullets, out of date styles and obesity. I know that if most of us were forced to co-exist in such a high population density in a city, we would probably be worst off since our personal bubble space seems to be so large here - and thats okay. I like my space as well
mc0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #48
CGYTransplant
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just off of 104th and Columbus if I remember right it was a couple of years ago.

I do remember that they served everything in family portions. So you would get huge plates of pasta and pass them around the table.
Sounds similar to Carmines, just off of Times Square.
CGYTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #49
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYTransplant View Post
Sounds similar to Carmines, just off of Times Square.
Carmines is good, but you can do much better without dealing with the mass chaos of a Times Sq restaurant. There are small owner operated Italian places all over the city (Celeste on the UWS, 83rd I think, is a personal favorite). That said, Virgils BBQ is a Times Sq place packed with tourists and I'll put up with that mayhem for their wings, dry rubbed and grilled up and absolutely massive.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #50
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yep, you're right. I guess the 8 years I've lived in this city just didn't quite give me the same perspective as your 8 visits.
Whatever makes you feel good about yourself, continue patting yourself on the back for living somewhere. The fact remains that NYers are seen globally as some of the rudest if not, the rudest people on earth. Right up there with Parisians, there's not much you can do about it. Those cities have earned those reputations over a loooonger period of time than the mere "8 years" you lived there.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #51
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Funny, I was in both NY and Paris last year and I didn't think any of them were rude. They are big city people for sure. Meaning that they aren't necessarily friendly (keep to themselves, move hurriedly, don't like to be disrupted), but they certainly aren't rude.

I've found way more rude people in rural towns where outsiders are not exactly welcomed.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pastiche For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #52
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whatever makes you feel good about yourself, continue patting yourself on the back for living somewhere. The fact remains that NYers are seen globally as some of the rudest if not, the rudest people on earth. Right up there with Parisians, there's not much you can do about it. Those cities have earned those reputations over a loooonger period of time than the mere "8 years" you lived there.
I've travelled all over the world and lived in 5 cities on 3 continents. I've lived in medium sized rust belt cities, incredibly wealthy British towns, and world class cities. NYers aren't the nicest people in the world, but the 'rudest in the world' labels undoubtedly come from people who get their nose out of joint when someone pushes by them while they stand in the middle of a sidewalk at rush hour or when a clerk gets annoyed at you for counting out your change when the line stretches around the store. I've run into plenty of rude people here, but I've run into just as many in Calgary.

Don't you find it funny that so many others have complete different experiences from yourself? Maybe it's an issue with the way you approach people or the expectations you have of people.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #53
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Right, it must be me guys. My bad, I'm the problem. Let's take an anecdotal evidence from 5 people and go with that as gospel truth. You guys are pretty sensitive. "Oh, no! Someone is bad mouthing New York... to the internet to defend the city's good name!" I'm done with this thread. I posted my tips, I have no need to continue defending my opinion, which happens to be shared by more than 5 people in this thread.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #54
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Right, it must be me guys. My bad, I'm the problem. Let's take an anecdotal evidence from 5 people and go with that as gospel truth. You guys are pretty sensitive.
Sheer arithmetic dictates this response:

Anecdotes from five people saying NYers aren't rude > Anecdote from one person saying they are
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pastiche For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #55
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, no kidding. The opinion of basically all the other posters in this thread, plus evidence from people who actually live there.....it's all peanuts compared to the one guy who's been there a handful of times, and clearly knows what the rest of the world is thinking.

Way to take your ball and go home because people don't agree with you.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #56
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right, it must be me guys. My bad, I'm the problem. Let's take an anecdotal evidence from 5 people and go with that as gospel truth. You guys are pretty sensitive. "Oh, no! Someone is bad mouthing New York... to the internet to defend the city's good name!" I'm done with this thread. I posted my tips, I have no need to continue defending my opinion, which happens to be shared by more than 5 people in this thread.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #57
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
+1 for it being just you. I've spent a few weeks there and never had a problem.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #58
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

New York virtual panorama.

http://www.pixelcase.com.au/vr/2009/newyork/
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #59
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's pretty sweet. Too bad it's not quite as detailed as the German one from a while back, but that's still fun to play with.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #60
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flying into Newark tomorrow. What is the best way to get to Manhattan? Specifically, my hotel is near the WTC site
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote