Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Giordano makes Calgary his official home

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-move-calgary/

Quote:
Mark Giordano’s considerable investment in the city is complete, as Calgary is now officially home for him and his family.

“We sold our place in Toronto,” declares the NHL’s top blue liner of a decision to leave his parents and childhood friends for a full-fledged foray out west. “We’ll spend our summers here now. It’s a pretty cool city and a pretty great city to live in. I think I’ve developed so many friends and relationships in this city, and with your kids growing up and going to school here I can see it being tough to leave.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
1_Flames_Fan, 3thirty, 442scotty, Allos, badger89, Badgers Nose, Barnet Flame, bc-chris, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, bob-loblaw, Calgary4LIfe, calgarywinning, calumniate, CF84, CrazyCaper, Cuz, Cycling76er, D as in David, Enoch Root, Erick Estrada, FanIn80, Flamesfan2010, flamesgirl18, Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration, Gaskal, getbak, GioforPM, Gondi Stylez, GranteedEV, GreenHardHat, GreenLantern2814, Guitar Shop Gary, GullFoss, HockeyPuck, IamNotKenKing, Inferno099, Insufficient Funds, It's a great day 4 hockey, Itse, jayswin, JT45, kbvall, KipperRules, Krovikan, kyuss275, manwiches, midniteowl, N-E-B, OldSam, pepper24, Press Level, Red_Baron, renny, roberts10, robertsfanatic, Samonadreau, Scroopy Noopers, Singularity, Slacker, SmoggyFlamesFan, Stillman16, Textcritic, TheScorpion, the_only_turek_fan, Yobbo, You Need a Thneed, YYC in LAX
Old 09-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

This is something that not even Iginla did. Giordano will be a life-long member of the Calgary Flames, and will captain the team until his retirement (which probably won't happen until around 2029).

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I for one approve this choice of Gio.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Why not lock in the extra couple of million bucks that his property in Toronto probably appreciated by
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is something that not even Iginla did. Giordano will be a life-long member of the Calgary Flames, and will captain the team until his retirement (which probably won't happen until around 2029).
Very different stages of team and career. Iggy was vying to win and the team, under Brent Sutter's terrible coaching, took a down-hill turn. Had the team not suffered 3 straight playoff misses under Brent Iggy would never have been traded and spent considerable time in other major US markets. Nor would he have been levied with as much blame from the fanbase as he received.

Gio is a defenseman who's career could end quicker than Iggy's did and should have while the team just came off it's best regular season in a long, long time. He has commuted his future to being here post playing but still has the potential to do great things under his current contract with a team that's not (finally) being coached by non-NHL quality people.
The Last Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I think he just increased his odds for a jersey retirement.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I think his odds of a jersey retirement were already 100%
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's absolutely one of my favourite flames ever. An example of work ethic, consistency and brings his compete level. Total class act as they used to say. So I certainly hope his Jersey is retired, but 5 is a lucky number.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Jedi View Post
Very different stages of team and career. Iggy was vying to win and the team, under Brent Sutter's terrible coaching, took a down-hill turn. Had the team not suffered 3 straight playoff misses under Brent Iggy would never have been traded and spent considerable time in other major US markets. Nor would he have been levied with as much blame from the fanbase as he received...
The trade is not at all what I am talking about. Iginla never summered in Calgary—he never settled there like Giordano has done.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry to beat a dead horse but here I go anyway. Interesting timing for this story as well as the labour day ceremony at McMahon. Personally I think it was done at least in part to send a message to tkachuk that he will not be paid more than the captain and cornerstone of the flames
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
The trade is not at all what I am talking about. Iginla never summered in Calgary—he never settled there like Giordano has done.
Gio never summered in Calgary either. Not sure what your point is. That he is going to now?

Iggy summered in Kelowna, not Boston or LA or Florida or anywhere else. How many Calgarians summer in Kelowna or other interior BC locations? Nevermind the fact that many other NHLers also summer in Kelowna where they off season train together.

Lots of players don't summer in their NHL city even after they retire to live in that city.

Iginla lived here for nearly 2 decades. His mother moved here and still does despite her family being mostly back in St. Albert and he son and grandchildren now live across the continent.

Gio isn't in a position of fans and media writing articles about him being traded to a contender, giving him a change in his career and life moving across the continent bringing new experiences.

Frankly your post just reeks of a backhanded slag on Iginla because you feel he turned his back on the city after he was traded and how much better a person Gio is.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
The Norris kinda made the odds much higher. He's "Forever A Flame" now though.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #13
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Sorry to beat a dead horse but here I go anyway. Interesting timing for this story as well as the labour day ceremony at McMahon. Personally I think it was done at least in part to send a message to tkachuk that he will not be paid more than the captain and cornerstone of the flames

Then Tkachuk won’t be here for very long, simple as that.

If they were sticking to a Gio cap, it would be a bridge contract and it would likely already be done.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gio never summered in Calgary either. Not sure what your point is. That he is going to now?

Iggy summered in Kelowna, not Boston or LA or Florida or anywhere else. How many Calgarians summer in Kelowna or other interior BC locations? Nevermind the fact that many other NHLers also summer in Kelowna where they off season train together.

Lots of players don't summer in their NHL city even after they retire to live in that city.

Iginla lived here for nearly 2 decades. His mother moved here and still does despite her family being mostly back in St. Albert and he son and grandchildren now live across the continent.

Gio isn't in a position of fans and media writing articles about him being traded to a contender, giving him a change in his career and life moving across the continent bringing new experiences.

Frankly your post just reeks of a backhanded slag on Iginla because you feel he turned his back on the city after he was traded and how much better a person Gio is.

Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #15
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For those giving shade to Iggy, you guys do remember why he chose to live in Boston? Kids in high end sports, thus travel for tournaments and summer league is kept to a minimum. If he lived in Calgary, he'd be travelling from Vancouver to Winnipeg and South. That's not fun, no matter how much money you have.

Iginla built his dream house in Connaught, and I am sure would have gladly retired here, if he was in the right family situation.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #16
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
For those giving shade to Iggy, you guys do remember why he chose to live in Boston? Kids in high end sports, thus travel for tournaments and summer league is kept to a minimum. If he lived in Calgary, he'd be travelling from Vancouver to Winnipeg and South. That's not fun, no matter how much money you have.

Iginla built his dream house in Connaught, and I am sure would have gladly retired here, if he was in the right family situation.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
He was gone from Calgary for over 4 years and saw how he and his family could live a life of far more anonymity than they ever could here. His wife also moved away from her family and wasn't there when her dad passed away. There were plenty of factors to his decision to live where he does now that makes his choice very different than that of Gio's current situation and choice.

It's cool that Gio decided, more than a decade after riding shotgun in Phaneuf's truck to of being a full-time Flame, to fully move his home here. It's also possible the next 2 years see the team turn into bottom feeders and he decides to move on, chase the Cup and take his family with him. None of that has anything to do with what Iggy chose for his family.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #17
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good! Convince Johnny haha
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #18
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. That is my point. I don’t see why it would be at all controversial.

Quote:
Frankly, you need to take a step back and reserve your righteous indignation for something that matters a little more than this. I said nothing about my feelings for Iginla. I never made any sort of comparison of his character to Giordano’s. This is all stuff that you are reading into my comments based on nothing I have said. What the hell do you think you know about my feelings for Iginla? I merely stated ONLY that Giordano’s move here and settlement is something that Iginla did not do. THAT’S ALL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-21-2019 at 02:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
So, how does this work, exactly? Do the Flames ask Giordano to pretty-please sell his TO home and move to Calgary? Or do they—upon learning of his decision to do so—ask him to hold off on mentioning it in the media, but then ensure he tells the media about it once the impasse in contract talks with Tkachuk have become difficult?

And Tkachuk is supposed to cave upon hearing this news ... why, exactly?

This is nonsense.

Quote:
Old 09-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #20
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Yes. That is my point. I don’t see why it would be at all controversial.

Frankly, you need to take a step back and reserve your righteous indignation for something that matters a little more than this. I said nothing about my feelings for Iginla. I never made any sort of comparison of his character to Giordano’s. This is all stuff that you are reading into my comments based on nothing I have said. What the hell do you think you know about my feelings for Iginla? I merely stated ONLY that Giirdano’s move here and settlement is something that Iginla did not do. THAT’S ALL.

Come on, you are smarter than that. Your comment about Gio retiring a Flame after another decade of playing was preceded by a slight at Iginla for not summering in Calgary let alone retiring a Flame and settling his post playing life here. Otherwise your post would make no mention of what Iginla did during his time living in Calgary or after he was traded and subsequently then retired.