Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #21
Knut

Exp:

Update: the place we originally booked charges $40/hr for babysitting.... which is likely going to get us to change hotels Most in the area are $15/hr + tip .

http://www.oyster.com/cancun/hotels/...el-by-karisma/ this is our new target...
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #22
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Bump
We are looking at Mexico but I have never been so I don't know what places to look at. We have two pre-teens so we are looking for places that are good for that age and have interesting things to do in the area. Anyone have any suggestions of places in Mexico that are good for that age?
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #23
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
If you're taking a cruise, you need to be aware that most won't take kids under 6mths old and that kids need to be potty trained before they're allowed in the pool. That means no swim diapers.

Sucked that one kid got to play in the pool and the other couldn't. We made up for it at the beaches at each stop, however.

We love cruising.. been on about 5-6. Kids love it too. So nice to just go and eat whenever we want. Carnival has some nice kids areas too now, big splash parks. You can also leave the kids in the carnival kids area for a few hours if you want. They give you a cell phone and the kids just play, make crafts etc. We only did it once or twice for a few hours... some other parents literally ditched their kids in there every day for hours on end, which was kind of sad.
WE actually went on Allure of the Seas in Feb. They had a pool exclusive for kid not potty trained that was separate than the rest.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #24
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Bump
We are looking at Mexico but I have never been so I don't know what places to look at. We have two pre-teens so we are looking for places that are good for that age and have interesting things to do in the area. Anyone have any suggestions of places in Mexico that are good for that age?
What do you mean by interesting things to do in the area? The bigger resorts all have sports areas and kids/teen clubs. (barcello, grand Palladium(mayan), dreams, iberostar) etc. if you mean area.. then somewhere close to Puerto Morales, south of Playa del carmen, cozumel, might be fun as there are plenty of areas for snorkeling/diving, xel-ha, xcaret, etc.

Ixtapa has a nice long beach and the "tourist" area is good and safe for exploring... or go to Zihuatanejo for more of a local flavour.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #25
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the best way to book an all inclusive? Flight and resort together on Kayak.com or something similar?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #26
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
What is the best way to book an all inclusive? Flight and resort together on Kayak.com or something similar?

I will be honest I have not used Sell Off Vacations . com is a while, but when I did it was painless.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Tripcentral.ca

escapes.ca

selloffvacations.com
redtag.ca

In that order, booked many times off all.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #28
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socktape View Post
What do you mean by interesting things to do in the area? The bigger resorts all have sports areas and kids/teen clubs. (barcello, grand Palladium(mayan), dreams, iberostar) etc. if you mean area.. then somewhere close to Puerto Morales, south of Playa del carmen, cozumel, might be fun as there are plenty of areas for snorkeling/diving, xel-ha, xcaret, etc.

Ixtapa has a nice long beach and the "tourist" area is good and safe for exploring... or go to Zihuatanejo for more of a local flavour.
For fun things to do I mean things along the lines of snorkeling, sight seeing, taking in the culture, etc. Things that would keep the interest of someone that age. Not looking for kids clubs type of thing where we drop them off and they make macaroni necklaces.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #29
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not all inclusive but very kid friendly

http://www.thegrandmayan.com/nuevo-vallarta

http://www.thegrandmayan.com/nuevo-vallarta/activities
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #30
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
We were there last year and it was fantastic. However, if you take the 90 minute "presentation" for the $100 transportation discount it is super high pressure sales... very very very negative experience....
Old 10-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #31
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have vacations/plans to Caribbean thwarted due to sargasso seaweed?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #32
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We went to Bahia Principe in the first week of July. Seaweed was bad at beach (about 50 yards usable, but even then had to weave through the seaweed). Vacation wasn't ruined - there is so much other than beach to do with kids at these resorts. Even beach was OK because kids had fun building sand castles etc.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #33
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From what I've heard the seaweed has been very intermittent. As in the beach is perfect for a few days and then overnight is taken over by seaweed. I am a travel agent so I have been working hard to help people avoid the problem. But its hard because it's quite far reaching and seems to show up sporadically. Mexico has been hit the worst but even Barbados on the other side of the Caribbean has had problems. The resorts and governments have been doing everything they can to clear it but it's definitely still causing problems. Like said above, the pools are still great if you have bad luck and are there when the seaweed is.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FFR For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #34
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Went to Valentin imperial Maya, not kid friendly but seaweed was an issue there. We went end august and We saw them scoop tens of barrels of seaweed there the everyday. It's apparently bad this year
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #35
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

No offence intended, but isn't it extremely difficult to travel with little ones?

Everytime we travel we see parents having an awful time, in the plane, at the resort or hotel. Why not just wait a few years or have them stay with grandparents for a week if you're that desperate?

Don't mean to derail, just curious.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #36
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
No offence intended, but isn't it extremely difficult to travel with little ones?

Everytime we travel we see parents having an awful time, in the plane, at the resort or hotel. Why not just wait a few years or have them stay with grandparents for a week if you're that desperate?

I think it depends on the family. I have a friend who took two toddlers to Machu Picchu, among other things. I would think you are probably noticing the ones who are struggling because they are more noticeable.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #37
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Babies are really easy to travel with. Most kids are also pretty good, though not all. The only time I ever had any trouble with mine was when my daughter was around 1 year old - old enough to want to move around and not old enough to keep herself occupied. By the time she was 2 she was fine traveling again.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #38
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

We have travelled a lot with our little guy. Hes 1 now and a fantastic traveler. However we have traveled with friends and their kid around the same age as ours and they swore they'd never travel with a young kid again. So I think it depends on the kid and the parents. We aren't super worried about a schedule when we are away. Or super healthy good - fast food certainly becomes more acceptable when traveling. You just have to adjust your expectations or train your kid to travel.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #39
Knut

Exp:

It is difficult to travel with little ones and there are for sure frustrating moments. But no more than at home. May as well be frustrated on a beach.

We always make use of local babysitting services to make sure we can enjoy our trip too.

The experience they gain is worth it though and it creates family memories to remember later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 03:02 AM   #40
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Barcelo Maya is a massive resort, family friendly, in a spectacular part of the mayan riviera.