Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #701
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

That's awesome. Can't wait to hook this up. Thanks dude.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #702
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ The web browser on the PS3 is garbage, so unfortunately it can't handle the current flash version that most (all?) of the broadcasters' sites are using. I would recommend (as Mel did), to hook up your computer to your TV.

One device that I have is a Boxee Box, and it actually organizes all of the available, legal content from the broadcasters and organizes it in nice menus. It is a nice bridge between the web and your TV. Although the box itself costs about $180, you can also download a free PC/Mac version that will do the same thing for you once you have your computer hooked up to the TV.

It is a pleasant surprise to see how much content is available legally on the web sites of the big networks. Sometimes they'll leave the whole season up, and sometimes you'll be able to get the most recent episodes in case you miss one.

Edit: Just saw your post in the Mac thread about the adapter necessary. I have hooked up my MacBook Air to the TV using the same adapter (the new ones are called "thunderbolt to HDMI" as they carry sound, even though they are the same plug as the mini display port ones) and it works like a charm.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 02-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #703
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Thanks Jimmy. I just ordered the cables online, so I should be up and running within a week. I'll get the boxee download as well. I just passed my one-year anniversary of having no cable and am continually surprised at all the great free legal content there is. This is going to be great.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #704
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Thanks Jimmy. I just ordered the cables online, so I should be up and running within a week. I'll get the boxee download as well. I just passed my one-year anniversary of having no cable and am continually surprised at all the great free legal content there is. This is going to be great.
If you're an iPhone user, there's even a free app that lets you use your phone as a remote for the Boxee over your wifi network. Just in case you don't want to get up from the couch!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #705
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those A holes put Breaking Bad in the 'recently added' column- thought for a second they had added season 4...

pretty crappy new releases this month for netflix canada
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #706
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

So if using Unblock-US you'd still be only paying Netflix once a month for the US version, plus the $5 or so for Unblock?

Not clear how that would work as I'm paying Netflix Canada already then I need to sign up for the US version. Won't I be paying them twice?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #707
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
So if using Unblock-US you'd still be only paying Netflix once a month for the US version, plus the $5 or so for Unblock?

Not clear how that would work as I'm paying Netflix Canada already then I need to sign up for the US version. Won't I be paying them twice?
No. As long as you're watching on your computer or Ipad there will be no additional charge for your Netflix Canada account. Netflix just thinks you're roaming in the States so gives you that local content.

I believe that you have to have a US Netflix account for consoles though.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #708
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
No. As long as you're watching on your computer or Ipad there will be no additional charge for your Netflix Canada account. Netflix just thinks you're roaming in the States so gives you that local content.

I believe that you have to have a US Netflix account for consoles though.
Yeah...it's the PS3 thing I'm wondering about.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #709
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I think I read it works on the 360 and the PS3, but the Wii won't work just by changing DNS, you still need a US account for the Wii.. or something like that.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #710
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

What I don't get is I'm supposed to provide them with a credit card number, etc., but I'm already being billed monthly for the Canadian Account. So signing up for the US account cancels the other out or how does that part work?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #711
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I just signed up for the free trial of unblockus .... how does this know you're even using it past the trial if you're just using their DNS servers without anything installed?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #712
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
What I don't get is I'm supposed to provide them with a credit card number, etc., but I'm already being billed monthly for the Canadian Account. So signing up for the US account cancels the other out or how does that part work?
Canadian Netflix account works for American Netflix on all devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
So I just signed up for the free trial of unblockus .... how does this know you're even using it past the trial if you're just using their DNS servers without anything installed?
Unblock-US still works on all non-PC devices after a week. I don't think there is any mechanism for authentication for consoles, tablets, mobile phones, etc.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-12-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #713
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

OK Hack, but how do I access American Netflix on PS3 without signing up with US account??

I'm obviously missing something here.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #714
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK Hack, but how do I access American Netflix on PS3 without signing up with US account??

For Canadian accounts Netflix lets you roam to the US Selection when it thinks you are in the US.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #715
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

There is no difference between Canadian and American accounts. All it checks is your location to tell what it sees as allowable for your country in the library. If it thinks you are in the US, all the US titles just appear whereas in Canada they would be not available.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #716
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There is no difference between Canadian and American accounts. All it checks is your location to tell what it sees as allowable for your country in the library. If it thinks you are in the US, all the US titles just appear whereas in Canada they would be not available.
Incorrect. As taken from usvideo and confirmed on apple tv.

"Netflix allows owners of Canadian Netflix accounts to access US content while they're “travelling#to US”. However, watching videos “out of the home country” is restricted only to computers, iPads/iPhones and PS3. It is#not available on Xbox 360, Wii, Apple TV and most other devices.
The only#solution to get full access to US content on Netflix is to open US Netflix account, which can be done with the help of our system."

I use an atv so had to create an American account. It allows Canadian credit card, just use the numbers in your postal code followed by 00 as your zip code.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #717
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Incorrect. As taken from usvideo and confirmed on apple tv.

"Netflix allows owners of Canadian Netflix accounts to access US content while they're “travelling#to US”. However, watching videos “out of the home country” is restricted only to computers, iPads/iPhones and PS3. It is#not available on Xbox 360, Wii, Apple TV and most other devices.
The only#solution to get full access to US content on Netflix is to open US Netflix account, which can be done with the help of our system."

I use an atv so had to create an American account. It allows Canadian credit card, just use the numbers in your postal code followed by 00 as your zip code.
I only have computers, android phones, android tablets, and PS3s. It's funny that all those other devices do not support roaming.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #718
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
When you sign up for the trial, they record your IP address, and grant it access to their DNS servers. After your trial, your IP address is still in their system, and they can block you from accessing their DNS servers until you subscribe.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #719
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
When you sign up for the trial, they record your IP address, and grant it access to their DNS servers. After your trial, your IP address is still in their system, and they can block you from accessing their DNS servers until you subscribe.

I've been using this past the trial on my PS3 for months now. Actually, I wasn't even the one who signed up for the trial in the first place, a friend of mine did, I'm just using the DNS server.
Yorkshire Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #720
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Futurama, seasons 1-6 and the movie were added to netflix. Family Guy season 1-8 were added last week as well
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post: