Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #41
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today's the day, I feel it. Exorcised the ghost of the 3 headed goalie monster, Gio/Hamilton broken up, love the look of the forward lines, Smid's back. Good vibes today, good vibes.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #42
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just win. Even a scrappy win at this point would do wonders for this team.
Ideally, a win where Hiller stands strong, the Flames get scoring from more than just the Gaudreau line, and they outshoot their opponents.
But now, I will take anything
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #43
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Today's the day, I feel it. Exorcised the ghost of the 3 headed goalie monster, Gio/Hamilton broken up, love the look of the forward lines, Smid's back. Good vibes today, good vibes.
Haha you stole that line

CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #44
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to point out, that Dougie Hamilton will have been the most mobile puckmoving competent true RHD partner Smid has played with since Jeff Petry.

According to hockeyanalysis, as a Flame his even strength partners have been:

284:56 minutes with Wideman (immobile, generally has defensive issues)
220:17 minutes with Engelland (immobile, has serious issues with clearouts. This was a pairing from Hell)
182:25 minutes with Butler (that same Chris Butler)
176:05 minutes with Giordano (both want to play the same side, but their combined 49.07 CA/60 is a good shot attempt suppression stat considering this team's defensive issues. For comparision, Gio-Hamilton is at 61.19CA/60, or 12 more shot attempts allowed per 60 minutes. Gio-Brodie was at 50.53CA/60 and Chara/Dougie was at 47.47 albeit on a much better team)
98:07 minutes with Brodie (for whatever reason, this pairing didn't work but their 32.1 OZS% might be why - they were used the same way Brodie-Engelland were last year in a pure defense role)
60:43 minutes with Diaz (not as good as Petry or Hamilton)

In many ways Smid's early career success was a direct result of the combination of Petry's skillset. Hamilton is a good fit beside him, for two reasons:

1) Smid assumes all crease-clearing duties, which Hamilton appears to be struggling with
2) Hamilton assumes all zone breakout duties, which Smid struggles with.

They are Yin and Yang, Ladi and Dougie.

I dub thee:

Dougislav

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-23-2015 at 12:54 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #45
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't worry, it is the first game of the season I will not be attending so they will probably win.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #46
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Don't worry, it is the first game of the season I will not be attending so they will probably win.
So this start has been all your fault??!?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #47
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually hope that Nakladal gets the nod over Smid. Smid will be rusty as H and Nakladal by all accounts is ready to go.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #48
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
That would be a amazing thing to do from the press box. Datsyuk is still on the IR and wont be in tonights game.
Whoops. I've been paying more attention to politics lately than hockey, which I'm not sure yet is a good thing or a bad thing
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #49
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

As long as they play like the flames of last year I will be happy....winning would be a bonus
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #50
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The obvious problem with playing Nakladal over Smid is that it would present a problem we've never had in my time of following the Flames, too many right shot defensemen in the lineup (Wideman, Engelland, Hamilton and Nakladal.)

With Smid the lineup will be perfectly balanced with 3 righties and 3 lefties. With Nakladal and no Smid we'd have 4 righties and 2 lefties.

I don't know that any of the righties are comfortable playing their off side. I know Brodie as a leftie can play his off side quite well.

Might be one of the reasons why we're seeing Smid over Nakladal at this point.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #51
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I actually hope that Nakladal gets the nod over Smid. Smid will be rusty as H and Nakladal by all accounts is ready to go.
Smid knows the system and for the minor minuets he'll be getting, I don't see why you don't toss him in for some added physicality.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #52
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

We will see a lot of Smid this season, if he shakes the rust off. With Brodie coming back soon, and Russell rumors swirling about, eventually we could have Gio/Brodie/Smid patrolling the left and Wideman/Hamilton/Nakladal on the right, with Englland punching two Canucks at once in the 7 role. Actually that doesn't sound bad at all.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #53
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go! (please!)
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #54
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
The obvious problem with playing Nakladal over Smid is that it would present a problem we've never had in my time of following the Flames, too many right shot defensemen in the lineup (Wideman, Engelland, Hamilton and Nakladal.)

With Smid the lineup will be perfectly balanced with 3 righties and 3 lefties. With Nakladal and no Smid we'd have 4 righties and 2 lefties.

I don't know that any of the righties are comfortable playing their off side. I know Brodie as a leftie can play his off side quite well.

Might be one of the reasons why we're seeing Smid over Nakladal at this point.
I wouldn't read too much into a right or left shot. Sometimes you get a whole d-corps that are left shots. It just so happens that righties are rarer, so having a lineup of righties is no different than having a lineup of lefties.

If Nakladal gives us a better chance to win, I don't care if he's a left or right shot.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #55
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Some coaches place more weight on trying to put righties with lefties. Remember the rumours that Hamhuis made team Canada over Gio because he's a righty? Others don't care.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #56
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Red Wings are not as good as their record. Mrazek's stats:

.922 + 3.07 GAA

Pretty much tells you why. They've given up 36+ shots three times in six games. The Flames have also been bad, but have only given up 31+ shots once in the season opener.

On the not-so-bright-side, Dylan Larkin is good. Every time we're about to play a non-division team with a player that's been playing well, the Hartley Flames get lit up by that one player instead of scouting him out. So expect a a goal or two out of Larkin.

Quote:
I wouldn't read too much into a right or left shot. Sometimes you get a whole d-corps that are left shots. It just so happens that righties are rarer, so having a lineup of righties is no different than having a lineup of lefties.
Righties (who are really lefties IRL so it's wierd to call them righties) are rarer, so they're also far less accustomed to playing the left side. Left-hand shot players are skilled with playing the right side often because right-hand shots are so rare. So there is some real concern with too many righties. That said last season we had a righty playing left side in Diaz, but he had some nice and underrated puck skills.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-23-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #57
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Righties (who are really lefties IRL so it's wierd to call them righties) are rarer, so they're also far less accustomed to playing the left side.
What? This is not true.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #58
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
What? This is not true.
Most Canadian coaches will teach young righties to have their right hand on top for more control but a weaker shot.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #59
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What? This is not true.
Not always true, but true often enough that calling a right-hand-shot a rightie is wierd to me.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #60
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What? This is not true.
I concur.

I write and throw with my right hand, and I shoot right in hockey.

I catch left when playing goal or softball.

Tags
for the , god , love of , please win