Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default WestLRT Impact

Hey CP,

I live in Wentworth and have been curious for quite some time what impact the completion of the WestLRT will have on the outlying communities that now have this improved infrastructure and access to the rest of the city.

Any bets? Will we see an uplift as early as the spring?

Travis have you seen any indication of price appreciation in any of the communities srrounding the LRT stations?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Cal
Draft Pick

In my opinion, too far away from the train for it to make a difference. On the other hand, whomever owns all that vacant land along 17th Ave will likely make out like a bandit, especially if all that land gets rezoned from estate to high density because of Plan-It.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

You know how I know I grew up in the inner city?

I haven't a clue where the hell 'Wentworth' is.

I hopped on the West LRT line a few weeks ago, just to see it. I was shocked when I got to the terminus at 69th. It used to be there was nothing out there, just bald-ass hills with the odd stand of trees. I had no idea there was a bunch of 'burb development for another mile west.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
You know how I know I grew up in the inner city?

I haven't a clue where the hell 'Wentworth' is.

I hopped on the West LRT line a few weeks ago, just to see it. I was shocked when I got to the terminus at 69th. It used to be there was nothing out there, just bald-ass hills with the odd stand of trees. I had no idea there was a bunch of 'burb development for another mile west.
No kidding. My dad's grave is located on 17th Ave just past Lower Springbank Road SW. I've only been out there a two or three times in the last 12 years, but whenever I make it out there it blows me away how fast neighbourhoods are sprouting out there.

And I still have no idea where Wentworth is.

Owning a condo just off Shaganappi golf course, I've been wondering if--and when--and how much of an impact the WLRT will make on the value of my unit. Right now I'm renting it out while going to grad school, but hope to sell it in 18 months to two years.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Cal
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
And I still have no idea where Wentworth is.
It's the pretentious part of West Springs, it isn't an official community: At the tail end of Bow Trail, north of Bow, West of 85th, South of Old Banff. It's a 5KM drive to the C-Train; 3-4KM if you walk the pathway. It's been around for almost 10 years, though...
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
the pretentious part of West Springs
I have a friend that lives in Wentworth, he specifically selected that area.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Owning a condo just off Shaganappi golf course, I've been wondering if--and when--and how much of an impact the WLRT will make on the value of my unit. Right now I'm renting it out while going to grad school, but hope to sell it in 18 months to two years.
According to the whiners in your area, any new development will negatively affect your property value. So, obviously this improved transit solution is going to cost you big money. Get ready.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I thought the value goes up pretty much as soon as the fact the train is going forward was public knowledge. Now your value will fall as vagrants have a far extended range for pety break and enters
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What about Tuscany/Rocky Ridge, should a minor bump be expected there as well when that station is done?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Im late to the party but I will side with Hulkrogan. The moment the plan was official you will see property values rise. Lets say its a increase of 5-10% depending on your proximity to the station, Im willing to bet that 75% of your property value gains are seen once the plan is official and the other 25% comes as places start to sell during construction and just after completion.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Who knew there was so much hate for wentworth!? I should start a new thread where people can come crap on it. It's a subsection of west springs I guess, there is an even more pretentious alcove by the name of Wexford if you all want something new to shower with love and affection.

The thread wasnt about wentworth itself but what impact the wLRT will have on the communities around it.

Interesting point about the split between values increasing when plans are official, with only a small increase coming from completion. I'd imagine that investor demand wouldn't outstrip real demand 3:1 or else why would those initial investors be speculating on the land if the value was only going to increase a small amount once the project was complete? Perhaps because it is low risk growth.

The cougar ridge/west springs/aspen area is supposed to be abutted by the west portion of the ring road if/when that finally gets complete... That would be a good test for your theory. Watch what happens to property values upon announcement vs completion of that project (coming soon in 2045).
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Cal
Draft Pick

Didn't mean that as an insult, but in the old days there was a certain pretentiousness in the way the area was developed and promoted. I live in Wentworth too, it's a nice area with a lot of pluses, but I long ago stopped saying that I lived in Wentworth because nobody knew where it was and the label has become increasingly meaningless over time.

Last edited by Cal; 12-30-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
What about Tuscany/Rocky Ridge, should a minor bump be expected there as well when that station is done?
lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Didn't mean that as an insult, but in the old days there was a certain pretentiousness in the way the area was developed and promoted. I live in Wentworth too, it's a nice area with a lot of pluses, but I long ago stopped saying that I lived in Wentworth because nobody knew where it was and the label has become increasingly meaningless over time.
Yeah its true, people always give a wtf face when you say where you live. West Springs is no better. I just say south of COP on top of the hill... most get that.

lulz @ clarkey. 2 minute bus ride to the train and major traffic relief off of bow trail have been pretty noticeable positive impacts. What a goof.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
lulz @ clarkey. 2 minute bus ride to the train and major traffic relief off of bow trail have been pretty noticeable positive impacts. What a goof.
I'm not sure what got your panties in a knot. I was genuinely wondering if a new station causes much of a bump in prices. Again, as others have commented it's probably already built into the house prices for the most part.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I'm not sure what got your panties in a knot. I was genuinely wondering if a new station causes much of a bump in prices. Again, as others have commented it's probably already built into the house prices for the most part.
Thought you were piling on. The 69th street station is nowhere near Tuscany or Rocky Ridge and is only connected through a very indirect series of roads (i.e. 17th to Sarcee to Stoney Trail). I doubt very much that this station in particular would have any impact to the property values in Tuscany/Rocky Ridge. So much so that I thought you were being rude on purpose. My bad.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Cal
Draft Pick

Interesting to see that property values actually went down in Christie Park last year, one of the closest neighbourhoods to 69 Street Station.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...#ixzz2H1Wz8jsJ
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thought you were piling on. The 69th street station is nowhere near Tuscany or Rocky Ridge and is only connected through a very indirect series of roads (i.e. 17th to Sarcee to Stoney Trail). I doubt very much that this station in particular would have any impact to the property values in Tuscany/Rocky Ridge. So much so that I thought you were being rude on purpose. My bad.
There is a new station on the NW line (in Tuscany/Rocky Ridge) under construction -- he wasn't talking about the 69th street station
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
No worries let's hug it out brother.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clarkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Interesting to see that property values actually went down in Christie Park last year, one of the closest neighbourhoods to 69 Street Station.
Houses there are getting pretty old, and are at that stage where either you completely reno a floor or it just looks dated and shabby.

Lots of dusty rose colors in that part of town....

Tags
broncosportfolio , nenshi , smartgrowth