Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #101
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Im also considering "cutting the cord". I just cant comprehend the cost anymore for poor or no service and all the channels I simply don't watch. Ill be following this closely over the next month or so. I also looked at the Roku and I hop down to the states regularly so could pick up the 3 easily.
I could likely order one from the US but don't see the point in getting one from there that will be preloaded with a bunch of content I don't legally have access to.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #102
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

It comes with no channels, your account determines the channels you have access to download.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #103
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
It comes with no channels, your account determines the channels you have access to download.
Any of the reviews I've watched say it comes with a bunch of stuff like Hulu Plus, etc..... If it comes with nothing and picks it up when I install it then that is a bonus.

Last edited by shane_c; 06-26-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #104
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

All those channels are included, but not 'installed'. You can only install the ones you are allowed to use.

In hindsight, I think when I used the word downloaded, I was incorrect. I am pretty sure all the software exists on the box already, but you need to install it. In Canada, I have no access to Hulu etc, even though I bought my Roku in the US.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #105
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
All those channels are included, but not 'installed'. You can only install the ones you are allowed to use.

In hindsight, I think when I used the word downloaded, I was incorrect. I am pretty sure all the software exists on the box already, but you need to install it. In Canada, I have no access to Hulu etc, even though I bought my Roku in the US.
So the Hulu icon doesn't show up on the screen? Or it does but when you click it it doesn't work?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #106
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only things that show up are things I have chosen to install from the channel listings.

Hulu isn't even a choice to install, I assume since I have a Canadian Roku account. If you wanted such, I am pretty sure getting an American Roku account *and* IP address would suffice.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #107
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh my...

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...ecast/#netflix

$35 for a TV alternative?

Limited apps as of yet, but likely a longer shelf life than the other set top boxes I would guess
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #108
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

We are considering cutting the cord (again?). I often turn on the TV and find nothing I want to watch. My wife watches lots of Netflix, for which we have changed DNS settings to get access to the US version. I would still like to be able to watch Flames & Stamps, but I'm not too worried about other NHL games ( I suppose my wife would like oilers games).

I'm familiar with Apple TV, but I'm not familiar with Roku, Plex, etc. can someone give me a quick summary of those services and others, so that I can figure out what would be best for us?
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #109
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Oh my...

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...ecast/#netflix

$35 for a TV alternative?

Limited apps as of yet, but likely a longer shelf life than the other set top boxes I would guess
Just to clarify, the Chromecast doesn't actually have apps built into it, but it will stream content to itself as directed by a Chromecast enabled app on your smartphone, tablet device, or Chrome browser.

It is almost like Airplay for apple devices, but it doesn't stream from your device or mirror the screen, it does the transfer all by itself once you get it started, essentially just making your device the remote control. It also isn't limited to any particular OS - you can start your stream from any Chromecast enabled app on an iOS, Android device, or any Windows/Mac/Chromebook computer using Chrome.

The big downside right now is that they are all sold out, and have been since almost instantly after they were released. Having 3 months of free Netflix on a $35 device made the effective price about $11. Also, I don't think they technically will ship directly to Canada at the present time.

Last edited by Rathji; 08-08-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #110
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just to clarify, the Chromecast doesn't actually have apps built into it, but it will stream content to itself as directed by a Chromecast enabled app on your smartphone, tablet device, or Chrome browser.

It is almost like Airplay for apple devices, but it doesn't stream from your device or mirror the screen, it does the transfer all by itself once you get it started, essentially just making your device the remote control. It also isn't limited to any particular OS - you can start your stream from any Chromecast enabled app on an iOS, Android device, or any Windows/Mac/Chromebook computer using Chrome.

The big downside right now is that they are all sold out, and have been since almost instantly after they were released. Having 3 months of free Netflix on a $35 device made the effective price about $11. Also, I don't think they technically will ship directly to Canada at the present time.
I really think this is a game changer though. No need for a specific operating system (Apple TV) and likely full support for some time as it's Google (boxee). The other interesting part is the Google Ecosystem will likely have many aps that will be compatible and boom, your TV can go. It'll be interesting to see what services will ever be able to offer live sports. You'd think there would be advertising executives salivating at the thought of all the targeted advertising that could be done with single user streaming...
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #111
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
We are considering cutting the cord (again?). I often turn on the TV and find nothing I want to watch. My wife watches lots of Netflix, for which we have changed DNS settings to get access to the US version. I would still like to be able to watch Flames & Stamps, but I'm not too worried about other NHL games ( I suppose my wife would like oilers games).

I'm familiar with Apple TV, but I'm not familiar with Roku, Plex, etc. can someone give me a quick summary of those services and others, so that I can figure out what would be best for us?
I'm also interested in hearing the response to this.

I just cut my cable, have Netflix, but am looking for an alternative to cable in order to watch Flames games come fall.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #112
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Will try and make this as short as possible. Check out these links and in Google for more info:

http://lifehacker.com/5834909/ditch-...ing-your-shows
http://lifehacker.com/5946193/how-to...ce-and-for-all

Part 1: Devices
To cut the cord, you obviously need another device at your TV to get the content there. Assume all of these devices have Netflix, and also realize that this list is not comprehensive, and only includes the most recent devices, just giving a basic idea of whats available. Also note that any MLB/NHL apps listed require an external subcription at minimum, plus likely a VPN/Proxy to get what you are looking for.

Most of these devices support 1080p as far as I know, at least the most current version.

Apple TV 3:
-Stuck in Apples Ecosystem unless you jailbreak. This means if you have your own content, you might need to convert it (or use the Plex workaround - see below)
-Able to Airplay (stream) video/audio from the last few generations of Apple phones and tablets.
- Can buy/rent content from iTunes
- can play content from iTunes Match
- Has NHL, MLB apps
- Can use iOS device as remote

Roku 3:
- Can stream from many types of server setups, including Plex or other DLNA servers
- Has games, with controller built into the remote
- Has most popular music services available - Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, Tunein etc
- Supports multiple video services like HBO, Hulu, Vudu, Crackle, Disney, etc (Note: Most of these are US based only, and require a VPN/Proxy type service and a faked US Roku account)
- Headphone jack built into remote.
- Can use iOS, Androind, Windows clients as remotes
- Can stream from any of those devices as well.
- No 'built in' content service, like iTunes, but many choices.

Other Media Players
Most of these have Netflex, Plex, some support XBMC. I won't go into detail, but you can look it up. Most are fairly open in terms of what they support.
- WDTV
- Chromecast
- Smart TVs
- Boxee Box
- Most new DVD/Blu-ray players (At least Netflix, sometimes others as well)
- Google TV - This isn't in many devices and is kind of abandoned as this point I think, especially with Chomecast just being released
- Any laptop/PC
- Wii, Xbox (might require XBox Gold), PS3.

Part 2: Content Services
Netflix - A key component of any cord cutters life. Canadian content is limited, but not terrible. Can use VPN/Proxy type service to get around that.

Plex - Plex is a way for you to agregate content from many places, including your computer, or really anywhere on the internet (see http://leapbit.com/2013/02/24/16-ess...plex-channels/). Plex won't work natively on an AppleTV, but there is a workaround in PlexConnect, or you can jailbreak.

Hulu - US only service, but gives you access to many current TV shows. Free and Paid options for this.

XBMC - Does much of what Plex does, but is more of a DIY Home Theater PC thing instead. It apparently has a ton of pirated content available on it very easily, but I have very limited experience with it.

Shaw VOD/HBO Go/other cable services- If you were to maintain your cable account, you can get apps for some of these services, some you need to stream from your tablet or phone. Really not relevant to cutting the cord, so won't go into detail.

NHL - Requires Gamecentre subscription and only works with Out of Market games. You can get around this with a VPN/Proxy type service.

Pirated Content - Although I consider it pretty much irrelevant for the majority of things today due to the wide availability of things like Netflix. Obviously you can pirate content and show it on these devices. If this is your thing, don't choose a device that has you locked in to a certain media format without understanding that you will need to convert some (or all) of your stuff before you watch it.

Part 3: Accessing US content:
Bottom line is you need (at minimum) a service which convinces the provider that you are in the US. There are a few ways to do this, like a proxy server or VPN service. You might also need a seperate US account for your device and/or content. For example, Netflix works with the same account and a Roku needs to be setup with a US address to have access to the channels.

Unblock US - Probably the easiest and among the cheap options ($5 a month) it works with most devices, or you can just route all your traffic through a router configured to use it. This is really geared towards media consumption. I don't know if this work with Gamecenter though.

A regular VPN service, like ProXVN or Hidemyass VPN. The benefit to this is for a similar (or slightly increased) cost to Unblock US, you get the ability to gain more web anonymity. ProXVN has a coupon code (SN20) which gives you a yearly price of $60 for the life of your account. HMA is a about $10 a month, or you can get it for $60 a year as well. The downside is they are typically a bit more complex to setup for some media devices, and a few might not support certain services/devices at all. Do your research before you buy, if this is something that you are going to want for sure.

Last edited by Rathji; 08-09-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #113
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can vouch for Gamrcenter and UnBlockUS. Worked great last season during the shortened season with the special offer Gamecenter gave.

No hassle as the instructions were quick and easy to follow in setting up my devices whether it was PC, phone or tablet. Only a matter of dealing with the Gamecenter quality which time to time, can be annoying.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #114
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Thanks for the info Rathji.

Anyone have recommendations for a USB TV tuner card that would let me record programming coming over the antenna? Basically to set up a PVR for antenna signals?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #115
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Also, how much does NHL gamecentre cost?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #116
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm really hoping NHL game centre incorporates Chromecast this upcoming season, and hopefully Canada can get it in time.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #117
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I'm really hoping NHL game centre incorporates Chromecast this upcoming season, and hopefully Canada can get it in time.
Haha..given the quality of NHL GameCentre Live developers, it will definitely have Chromecast built in. And it will work properly by about March or so.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #118
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My wife watches lots of Netflix, for which we have changed DNS settings to get access to the US version.
You may already know this but....

If you've updated DNS settings to get US Netflix means you'll also be able to get US Network sites like Hulu.

This allows you to watch all of the network shows at the same time as everyone else - no need to mess with torrents, etc. For many, this is a huge factor in cutting the cord.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #119
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
You may already know this but....

If you've updated DNS settings to get US Netflix means you'll also be able to get US Network sites like Hulu.

This allows you to watch all of the network shows at the same time as everyone else - no need to mess with torrents, etc. For many, this is a huge factor in cutting the cord.
CBS doesn't participate with Hulu for current run shows. The other networks have some, but not necessarily all shows on Hulu.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #120
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quick question, using UnBlock US as a proxy via your DNS router settings, does this slow down your bandwidth speed? ie: since it has to go through a US server?
OldDutch is online now   Reply With Quote